High Res contacts on android 4.0

Soldato
Afternoon all,
Getting fed up of low res blurry contact pics on my nexus.
What options are there out there to sort it?

From what I can tell, haxsync, friend caster and Google+ all support contact syncing from social sites, but how does that work? Does it replace my existing pics? And if so, how often does it sync, as I don't want it draining my battery and data.

What other options are there?

Thanks in advance all.

Associate
I had this problem too but forget how I solved it, think I synced pictures from my live email for contacts instead of google. It's unbelievable that google still hasn't fixed this, it's been an issue for ever, totally ruins the beauty of the contacts and dialler getting this low Rez picture popping up.

Soldato
OP
Can you remember what methods you used?

And can anyone recommend something that doesn't require me setting up a live account just to pull contact pics?

Soldato
I use haxysnc and it works fine. You just add it as an account in settings, sign in through facebook using it, and it'll start matching pictures to names. You can set it's sync time too.

Associate
I use Haxsync and its does what it says on the tin. You can set sync interval, and tell it to only sync over wifi if you're worried about data. Images are only as good as facebook stores them, but the quality isn't too bad.

Soldato
OP
Does anybody know how the Google+ Contact sync thing works?
Does it update all the time and thus drains battery, or does it sync to my google contacts online and then gets pushed?

Also, what happens to the original pictures i had in, do they get replaced?

Soldato
Does anybody know how the Google+ Contact sync thing works?
Does it update all the time and thus drains battery, or does it sync to my google contacts online and then gets pushed?

Also, what happens to the original pictures i had in, do they get replaced?

I don't think it drains the battery as I've never noticed any battery drain on my Galaxy Nexus with it enabled.Then again, hardly any of my friends are signed up to Google+ so I suppose there's not a lot of syncing to be done.

Yes they'll get replaced as Google+ pictures are given preference I believe.

Soldato
Friendcaster syncs hi-res without the need for a seperate app. As for the sync interval, most apps let you choose from a number of present intervals. Ie, Friendcaster will let you set it to every 6 hours, twice a day, once a day, weekly or every two weeks. It barely affects battery life though i haven't looks at how much data it uses. I doubt it's that much tbh :)

Yes they'll get replaced as Google+ pictures are given preference I believe.

You can choose which details are used as the defult by selecting the contact, pressing menu and choosing 'select defaults' :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Friendcaster syncs hi-res without the need for a seperate app. As for the sync interval, most apps let you choose from a number of present intervals. Ie, Friendcaster will let you set it to every 6 hours, twice a day, once a day, weekly or every two weeks. It barely affects battery life though i haven't looks at how much data it uses. I doubt it's that much tbh :)

You can choose which details are used as the defult by selecting the contact, pressing menu and choosing 'select defaults' :)

Friendcaster - I have the pro version but the contact pictures don't look that high res unfortunately. Do you think it's because all my contacts are Gmail contacts as I believe pictures get compressed server side when they're synced?

Defaults - Just looked at all the settings when I select a contact that's locally stored and linked to their Google+ profile but can't see the option you're on about. Is this due to not having any contacts that are linked to more than one account?

Soldato
OP
How annoying.
Tried both G+ and Friendcaster.

Both of them have messed up my contact list in some way or another. :(

Why oh why dont google just allow syncing in HD!:(

##EDIT##
Very odd.
Contacts appear perfectly fine in the contact manager in gmail, yet on the phone, lots of pics missing!?
Anyone got any ideas?

##EDIT##
Fixed, sort of.
Wiped the contact storage app, everything appears to be back to normal now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is an issue that really bugs me and doesn't seem to have changed since I got my X10 two years ago! Tried Syncmypix and it used **** small pictures. Reverted my contacts to the pictures I manually added but when you try ringing - nothing shows :(

Completely screwed now. How do I delete my sim contacts? I think the duplicated contacts are resulting in their pictures not been shown.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom