Attempt 1.

Associate
Hey guys,

I have a reasonable budget of £875.00 for my 1st, of hopefully a lot, computer builds!

I need everything but a keyboard and mouse
I don't need a mouse pad or any other silly accessory

I don't really mind about how the case looks, so it doesn't have to be expensive, I really want the best bang for buck as this has to be a future proof. My big questions:
  • Should I wait for IvyBridge?
  • i7 or i5?
Any suggestions are greatfully received!!

Ferris

Soldato
Key questions:

1) What are your requirements i.e. what do you need your system to do, what's it's intended usage.
2) What dead certs must you have. i.e. Must it have a big monitor, must the case fit into a certain size bracket, must it be quiet?

Associate
OP
Scougar,

Im sorry for the vagueness!
1. Mainly game/Internet surfing.
For games, I'm a BF3 and COD guy
2. Not TV size, like 20inch? Just a normal case but not to plasticy (hard to find, cheap and not plasticy) it would like it within reason, not overly loud, its always nice to be quiet :p

Associate
I've edited the spec to inc a psu.
i5 is fairly furture proof you may want to wait for ivy which is due out soon
it is a great cpu and will last for a few years to come

Associate
havnt heard anything on pricing of them. other people on here might of. and i dunno whether the prices of the sandybridge cpu will drop. should do tho i'd of thought

forgot to say my set up allows for xfire if u dont want xfire u could drop some of the compents to cheaper ones

Last edited:
Soldato
If you need more HDD space you could go for a cheaper monitor and save cash this way. I would recommend you go at least 22" though at 1920*1080.

CPU and GFX card heavily overclockable. If you don't want to overclock then consider a different build as the value for money is only really achieved with that build if you overclock :)

Soldato
No guarantee prices will drop. We'll probably see them cropping up on offer from time to time as retailers clear stock but unlikely to see wholesale price drops. Ivy Bridge is expected to be around 5-15% quicker and they'll more than likely be priced higher than their equivalent Sandy Bridge counterparts rather than coming in as direct replacements. You will however see plenty cropping up in members markets and classifieds as people who have that upgrade itch look to upgrade. If you can wait for a few weeks then you should do but if you go for Sandy Bridge now it won't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom