Porsche Cayman

Soldato
OP
I drive 40 miles a day return to work up the motorway, only ever me in the car these days, so size and economy isn't too much of an issue.

Currently drive an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170, it's fairly comfy and economical but looking for something a little more fun.

MW

Soldato
A/S/L ? :p

5ft 8", 78kg with a 32" waist so not what you call fat lol

MW

The reason I ask is because in my experience your size and most importantly hight plays a big impact on how comfortable boxster/caymans can be on long journeys. Obviously being almost exactly Mr Average you should be fine.

Don
absolutely great car ( oh and I am 6ft and over 18st ) do 1500+ miles a month in mine, running costs are very reasonnable, boot space actually quite good and if yoiu can live without rear seats you can't do much better

Soldato
OP
The reason I ask is because in my experience your size and most importantly hight plays a big impact on how comfortable boxster/caymans can be on long journeys. Obviously being almost exactly Mr Average you should be fine.

Thanks, I guessed that's what you meant :)

absolutely great car ( oh and I am 6ft and over 18st ) do 1500+ miles a month in mine, running costs are very reasonnable, boot space actually quite good and if yoiu can live without rear seats you can't do much better

What's the servicing intervals/costs like, from some quick googling servicing doesn't seem too expensive ?

Is there too much difference between the 2.7 and 3.4 engine as there doesn't seem to me too much of a price difference for the extra 50bhp ?

MW

Soldato
With £20k to spend I'd be looking to get the newest Cayman S (with around 50k miles) you can buy, get a Porsche warranty for peace of mind, that'll set you back around £1200 (from memory) a year.

Then budget £1000 for a set of tyres a year and £500-1000 for servicing. Assume you can live with that, the lack of space and the back ache on long journeys then you should be happy, they are brilliant cars.

If it were me I'd be looking at getting a 335i or an M3 though, from experience I wouldn't buy a Porsche again if I needed to drive any distance everyday. It's just not relaxing enough.

Soldato

Would you not say your E46 M3 was a better overall package for what you use it for? I'm 17st and 6'3', I just found my Boxster unrelaxing and too cramped.

Don
Thanks, I guessed that's what you meant :)

What's the servicing intervals/costs like, from some quick googling servicing doesn't seem too expensive ?

Is there too much difference between the 2.7 and 3.4 engine as there doesn't seem to me too much of a price difference for the extra 50bhp ?

MW

20k / 2 years

at OPC, about 480 for minor and 600 for major ( after minor haggling ) , a few bits are extra , half of those prices at an indie

The 2.7 is very good but the 3.4 is my preference

Don
Would you not say your E46 M3 was a better overall package for what you use it for? I'm 17st and 6'3', I just found my Boxster unrelaxing and too cramped.

I actually had both for a while and would take the M3 for very long journeys or if it was raining bad, I find the Cayman very comfortable

Soldato
OP
Being fairly small i'm not affected so much by small interiors and I haven't driven more than 100 miles since last summer.

I was looking at the 3.4 preferably.

My Audi is loaded with extras - cruise control, climate control, heated leather seats, sat nav cd/mp3 player, bose speakers, sun roof and ipod dock. According to Parker's the Cayman's extras are measly and expensive, should I be worried about being disappointed with the interior ?

MW

Don
Mine is loaded to hell, extras are PCM, Bose, sports seats, extended leather, full air con , xenons, park assist , sports chrono , 19s, metallic, multi function steering wheel

they add something to the value but nothing close to the 10k they cost when new, when I sell mine in about 9 months they will prob only add about a grand

some I would not want to lose and some don't bother me,a basic car would still be a great car, up to you to decide what you want

Back
Top Bottom