• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ivy Bridge and Corsair HX 520W?

Associate
Hi all

Im upgrading to Ivy Bridge at the end of the month and want to keep price down so i want to keep my Corsair HX 520W so just wanted to check it would be ok? I hear things about 8pin cpu power....but at the moment I use 4pin??

Thanks for any info....

Associate
I have a Corasir HX 620W and it comes with both a 4-pin and 8-pin CPU connector fitted. Are you sure yours doesn't have an 8-pin connector tucked away somewhere?

Associate
OP
I have a Corasir HX 620W and it comes with both a 4-pin and 8-pin CPU connector fitted. Are you sure yours doesn't have an 8-pin connector tucked away somewhere?

Thanks, I will check this....so does do ivy bridge motherboards need the 8 pin?

Edit - Looking at pictures it looks like the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H has a 4pin and the MSI Z77A-G45 has 8pin.....why is this?

Last edited:
Associate
Looking at the pictures of Z77 mobos on the Internet, they all look like they need 8-pin CPU connectors.

On the possibility of an 8-pin connector for your PSU; look for it being hardwired from the PSU where it will originate from the same place as the 4-pin connector. Let's hope that when you first installed this, you simply tucked the 8-pin connector away and have forgotten this.

Associate
OP
Looking at the pictures of Z77 mobos on the Internet, they all look like they need 8-pin CPU connectors.

On the possibility of an 8-pin connector for your PSU; look for it being hardwired from the PSU where it will originate from the same place as the 4-pin connector. Let's hope that when you first installed this, you simply tucked the 8-pin connector away and have forgotten this.

Yeah maybe I just tucked it away somewhere....hope so.....

If you look at link below it looks like its has a 4pin?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/popup_image.php?prodid=MB-390-GI&imgID=1

Associate
Well fancy that! It does indeed. However, my D5H (arrives today) has 8. So it looks like some with be 4 while others are 8. Thus, if you don't have an 8-pin you can either buy a Z77 mobo with a 4-pin plug or get a new PSU.

Associate
I don't know. But what I SUSPECT is that 8-pin will give you potentially greater voltage (important for overclocking) and more stable voltage. It probably features on the more up-market mobos which are expected to be used for overclocking and/or have more onboard stuff.

Associate
I have been using a Akasa 550W 80+ with single 4pin on my asus z68 board (with 8 pin connector) for the last few months with no issues, 2500k at 4.2ghz and a 448 core gtx 560ti, I was using the same power on my amd board and that had a 4 pin connector but I bet drew a hell of a lot more power for the 6 core phenom I was running. I will upgrade in the future but seems to deliver plenty of power for the time being.

Soldato
I don't know. But what I SUSPECT is that 8-pin will give you potentially greater voltage (important for overclocking) and more stable voltage. It probably features on the more up-market mobos which are expected to be used for overclocking and/or have more onboard stuff.

yep, you may as well plug in all 8 as it will give the cpu more wattage headroom :)

Associate
OP
Hmmmm this has confused my plans as I was going to get the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H but it only has a 4pin connector and not sure if it really matters....the MSI Z77A-G45 has 8pins but less SATA3 ports and less USB 3 ports...hmmmmm

Associate
I have no problems running all that lot in my Sig on a Corsair HX520. I was using only the 4-pin at first cuz like someone said above.. i had actually tucked it away and forget it was there :D My 2700k OC'd better after using the 8-pin :p

Associate
OP
I have no problems running all that lot in my Sig on a Corsair HX520. I was using only the 4-pin at first cuz like someone said above.. i had actually tucked it away and forget it was there :D My 2700k OC'd better after using the 8-pin :p

Cool ok so the 8pin does seem to make a diffrece....thanks for the info guys!

Back
Top Bottom