• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the new C2 Stepping better for overclocking?

Associate
**NEW** C2 Stepping
Whether it's HD media, 3D gaming, or serious multitasking, unlock your full potential with the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3930K processor. With top-of-the-line adaptive speed and features, and overclocking enabled, it delivers 2nd generation smart performance at its best with the flexibility to set your system specs just the way you like.

This from of the net, is the new C2 stepping better for overclocking, or what is the best chance of getting a good overclocker i7-3930k?

Caporegime
Officially all the C2 stepping adding was VT-d support but with yields constantly improving and 3930K presumably outselling the 3960X, it stands to reason that by now Intel might be selling 3960X grade silicone as 3930K just to make up the numbers (and C2 guarantees a newer chip).

It's still pot luck really though, the best thing to do is not set your sights too high overclocking-wise and then you won't be disappointed.

Soldato
Officially all the C2 stepping adding was VT-d support but with yields constantly improving and 3930K presumably outselling the 3960X, it stands to reason that by now Intel might be selling 3960X grade silicone as 3930K just to make up the numbers (and C2 guarantees a newer chip).

It's still pot luck really though, the best thing to do is not set your sights too high overclocking-wise and then you won't be disappointed.
Pretty much :)

Some chips won't do 5Ghz Some will at high voltages Some will at low voltages.

Associate

This! :) and you should also consider that the difference between 4.8 and 5 are negligible IMHO, mine is clocked at 4.5, never tried for anything higher on my 3930, a) to avoid the constant disappointments of instability b) because 4.5 is a damn beast why would I want anything bigger

Soldato
**NEW** C2 Stepping
Whether it's HD media, 3D gaming, or serious multitasking, unlock your full potential with the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3930K processor. With top-of-the-line adaptive speed and features, and overclocking enabled, it delivers 2nd generation smart performance at its best with the flexibility to set your system specs just the way you like.

This from of the net, is the new C2 stepping better for overclocking, or what is the best chance of getting a good overclocker i7-3930k?

Save yourself £200 and get the 3820. Got mine clocked at 4.8Ghz stable @ 110GFlops (under IBT).

If you really NEED 6 cores (few people do) then go for the 3930K but don't be fooled by the 'K' bit. Unlike the 1155's the non-K CPU (the 3820) is 'partially' unlocked but is very overclockable, just read some reviews if you like.

The only advantage of the 3930K is the 2 extra cores (and maybe 10GFlops on mine if overclocked to the same speed) but as I mentioned that won't make a difference in 99.9% of applications and actually makes OCing slightly less stable as you now have to get 6 cores all running at suitable temps and stable speeds instead of 4.

I think a lot of people are buying the 3930K because of the 'K' bit and the good rep the K series has on the 1155 platform and assuming the 3820 will be a lockdown piece of non-overlockable cr*p but I can certainly say it's not and will exceed the vast majority of people's needs. You can use the extra £200 to buy a couple of 120GB OCZ Agilty 3's and set up a RAID 0 SSD array, you'll see a massive jump in general performance than buying the 3930 and running off HDDs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom