Can you reuse Windows 7 product keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If it is Retail, then no, you can only have a single PC installed at any one time. You may "move" this one key between multiple PCs without limit, so long as it is only installed and in use on 1 PC at a time. OEM can only be installed and used on the original PC it was installed on.

It might be that these PCs you have were installed and then imaged (if the hardware is identical) to save on time/effort on setting up the applications etc, and the key hasn't been changed between them.

Soldato
What's the issue you are having?

It's important to know what kind of key it is - a volume licence key will allow you to use it several times, whereas as Confused has stated, you should only use a retail key on a single PC (although it may well let you use it on multiple PCs)

Associate
OP
I know, I'm not asking if it's legal or not. I know it's not legal and that is why they got me to do the job.

I'm asking if it's actually possible. That's all. I just want to get an understanding of the situation.

Soldato
If the time period between when these were installed is long enough, the online activation will "just work" and you will be given an "activated" system - as you're aware, this isn't the same as a licensed system! ;)

Soldato
It is possible, but it's not legal, unless the key is a volume licence key.

If the PCs in question have licence stickers, make sure they match the version of Windows installed, and if they do, there are various methods of changing the key.

If they don't match, and you don't have any proof of purchase for the retail keys, then unfortunately you'll have to buy new licences.

There is a useful tool which you can use to monitor your licences (if you aren't already using it) called VAMT.

Associate
I'm no expert... but at a rough guess all the machines you are talking about are identical or nearly so?

If so the lazy ar** that deployed your suite just imaged the one install over to all machines hence the same product key. They are all asociated with the same domain and have like for like devices etc so your not being picked up at the moment.

That's why it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom