A few app recommendations for new iPad user

Caporegime
I just wanted to get a few recommendations, without trawling through the really long thread!!! I just want apps that i can install on a normal iPad3. I am not interested in (atm anyway) jailbreaking and related apps.

1) Video Player. I want to be able to play mkv files, either transferred to the iPad or streamed at full video quality. I have heard of AVPlayerHD but I would like to understand how it works, before buying it. Also I would be happy with an app that allows me to remux an mkv file and then I could transfer the output file via iTunes. As I understand it most mkv files have x264 video that the iPad would support, just in an mp4 container. remux (I have done it before for my PS3) normally takes a few minutes, which I could tolerate. I have a Plex Media Server, but the official Plex app just transcodes stuff, it is jerky and definitely not full video quality.

2) RDP/VNC. I want something that natively supports VNC and RDP protocols. I don't want to be installing little bits of software on each machine I use. I had always heard of Splashtop and seen recommendations for it, so was disappointed when I realised you need to install some software on the machine you want to remote control. On the RDP side at the least I want something that can send a CTRL+ALT+DEL in a single press as well as clipboard between iPad and remote machine. With VNC clipboard would be nice, but not essential.

3) Torrent webUI - This is an option on uTorrent that enables you to view the current running torrents remotely (via http on the LAN and with a forwarded port over internet). It works in the standard web browser but the layout is a bit crappy and not formatted well. On my android phone there were various apps that showed a much neater view (Transdroid is an example) so looking for something similar. Basically an app instead of a standard web page view.

rp2000

Associate
1) Remuxing to mp4 / aac should always be better as you can use the hardware decoding which should allow you to playback 1080p. However I believe AVplayer and the A5 have enough power to software decode 720p files in mkv containers.

2) You have to install software for Splashtop but it's worth it. It can stream audio and video smoothly which I don't think VNC can?

Soldato
1) Video Player. MKV's don't play well on the iPad, well VLC doesn't like them very much, I think there's a few MKV apps but I don't have any experience with them.

2) RDP/VNC. Screens! It's like £20, but it's the best and easiest to use

3) Torrent webUI - uTorrent's webUI doesn't get on with the iPad, it asks you to move you're finger on the screen to activate it, but all it does is scroll, probably needs an update, there's an app called Downloads that will let you download anything, and iTransmission (if you jailbreak) will let you download torrents.

TBH, you really should jailbreak to unleash an iPad's full potential.

SBSettings, XCon, Winterboard, so many tweaks or the iPad it's crazy, oh, not to mention Infinifolders and Graviboard (FUN!)

Associate
3) Torrent webUI - This is an option on uTorrent that enables you to view the current running torrents remotely (via http on the LAN and with a forwarded port over internet). It works in the standard web browser but the layout is a bit crappy and not formatted well. On my android phone there were various apps that showed a much neater view (Transdroid is an example) so looking for something similar. Basically an app instead of a standard web page view.

If viewing your torrents on your iPad is more important than which client you use then I would suggest taking a a look at transmission, the web ui is viewed beautifully on an iOS device.

TBH, you really should jailbreak to unleash an iPad's full potential.

If only he could jailbreak his iPad 3

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

1) For Video I have decided to go the remux route. It seems to take about 1 minute per GB so not too bad. Reading around, having the file in mp4 format and using hardware acceleration is better for the battery than the software players.

2) Still undecided on RDP. iTap and PocketCloud both look good for £8.

3) For uTorrent I have just decided to use their remote service (http//:remote.utorrent.com). Bit like webui but it has a custom view for iPads which does the job for me. Can't really install transmission as it is a windows box.

rp2000

Soldato
If only he could jailbreak his iPad 3

It's only a matter of time

Thanks for all the replies.

1) For Video I have decided to go the remux route. It seems to take about 1 minute per GB so not too bad. Reading around, having the file in mp4 format and using hardware acceleration is better for the battery than the software players.

2) Still undecided on RDP. iTap and PocketCloud both look good for £8.

3) For uTorrent I have just decided to use their remote service (http//:remote.utorrent.com). Bit like webui but it has a custom view for iPads which does the job for me. Can't really install transmission as it is a windows box.

Does that actually work on the iPad? because it doesn't on mine, it asks you to draw you're finger across the screen but all that does is scroll, it used to work before iOS 5, but since then it's broke.

Like I said, jailbreak and install iTransmission

Permabanned
AVplayerHD is what I use to view MKVs and all other video formats on my ipad3. It works well with hard and softcoded subs.

Caporegime
OP
It's only a matter of time

Does that actually work on the iPad? because it doesn't on mine, it asks you to draw you're finger across the screen but all that does is scroll, it used to work before iOS 5, but since then it's broke.

Like I said, jailbreak and install iTransmission

Yeah it works fine. You just swipe your finger around the screen, after the page has finished loading. If you do it before it finishes loading it tries to scroll.

rp2000

Associate
AVplayerHD is what I use to view MKVs and all other video formats on my ipad3. It works well with hard and softcoded subs.

i've had issues with subtitles in AVplayerHD, especially when there are two lots of subs at the same time, it only displays one lot, amongst other things

Back
Top Bottom