Is my Skyrim save game file borked?

Associate
Sorry if I'm posting this in an inappropriate place but asked the question in a couple of other places and most of the replies seemed to be clueless....

In the College of Winterhold questline, when I finish the 'Containment' quest, the 'Staff of Magnus' quest doesn't autostart. Nothing happens, and Mirabelle just gives me the two items and goes back to talking about her generic stuff.

- Official Bethesda reply: Verify integrity of game files and restart steam, no effect whatsoever

- Lads on Steam forums: Set Stage MG07 200 in the console, theoretically should work but nothing happened when I tried it.

- Lads on Nexus forums: No reply whatsoever.

I've ran out of ideas for this one, it's a serious game breaker. Should I wait for the next patch?

Soldato
Should I wait for the next patch?

I wouldn't do that or you will be waiting forever... If they do ever get round to fixing the bug, it will probably just prevent it from happening to future players and not help already bugged saves.

When I played skyrim i accepted that some quests will bug out and you wont be able to finish every quest on one play though. Whilst this sucks, thats skyrim...

I cant remember that quest, is it part of a big quest?

Associate
OP
Not the main one, just the Winterhold ones, where Arcano has the big blue force field around the eye of Magnus. I have disabled all mods on the games, launched it, and the fault still happens, so I'm pretty sure doing something in game in the past has disabled it from starting, and its bugging out.

I think tbh honest mate, you have the best idea, just carry on and accept that its got bugs, and just carry on with the others. Not a fat lot else I can do is there.

Associate
I found the mages quest line to be my favourite series of quests so far, although they are a little buggy. On my initial few quests for them I had to revert to a previous save because it wouldn't progress onto the next quest in the chain. Only happened once for me, so I guess if your like me and create new saves at each quest you should be ok lol.

Soldato
I found the mages quest line to be my favourite series of quests so far, although they are a little buggy. On my initial few quests for them I had to revert to a previous save because it wouldn't progress onto the next quest in the chain. Only happened once for me, so I guess if your like me and create new saves at each quest you should be ok lol.

The only possible way for it to be your favourite is for it to be your only series of quests.
The College quest line is absolutely pathetic. Its short as hell. Randomly kills off characters in such a way that you couldn't give a ****, not that they were around long enough to be given any depth in the first place. Not to mention the story is ****, there is absolutely zero logic behind you becoming the archmage when you've been there for what seems like 5 minutes, done very little to demonstrate your ability for magic and everyone still basically treats you as an apprentice thanks to the total lack of 'advancement'. It's also totally predictable and has hardly any rewards at all.
Not to mention the fact it gets REALLY irritating trying to find the different 'Masters' around the place to buy spells/training.

Soldato
The only possible way for it to be your favourite is for it to be your only series of quests.
The College quest line is absolutely pathetic. Its short as hell. Randomly kills off characters in such a way that you couldn't give a ****, not that they were around long enough to be given any depth in the first place. Not to mention the story is ****, there is absolutely zero logic behind you becoming the archmage when you've been there for what seems like 5 minutes, done very little to demonstrate your ability for magic and everyone still basically treats you as an apprentice thanks to the total lack of 'advancement'. It's also totally predictable and has hardly any rewards at all.
Not to mention the fact it gets REALLY irritating trying to find the different 'Masters' around the place to buy spells/training.

exactly this! i did the winterhold quests with my fists and a greatsword

i do enjoy all the quests, with the exception of the darkbrotherhood mission now that im the (SPOILERS) listener. she keeps sending me on the same quest over and over

Associate
OP
If setstages in the console don't work theres really nothing you can do... unless you have an old save to load.

I've loaded an old save from a couple of days back, and it still does the same thing, doesn't progress onto staff of magnus when I finish containment.

This is Bethesda's official response (after 225 hours on skyrim and 1400 saves)

Thank you for contacting Bethesda Softworks Technical Support Unfortunetly since you have done all the troubleshooting for this quest the issue you are having is a corrupted save file. We recommended starting a brand new game. If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at http://support.bethsoft.com or our technical support staff at (410)-568-3685 . Please include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Soldato
Installing and uninstalling mods can corrupt save games.

If a clean save method doesn't work, neither does the console command, I don't know what can.

Especially if you don't know which mod could be doing that.

Associate
OP
But if I've taken all the mods off, and the save games still load fine, how can they be corrupted? The faulty still happens with no mods on whatsoever.

Could it also be interaction with other quests that need to be finished first?

Soldato
But if I've taken all the mods off, and the save games still load fine, how can they be corrupted? The faulty still happens with no mods on whatsoever.

No, I'm pretty sure the mods corrupt save games if uninstalled/updated but I cannot prove this now... in this state...

Associate

Do you actualy get the containment quest completed message? and recived the Savos Aren's Amulet and the Torc of Labyrinthian. If not try fast traveling away then wait a day then fast travel back. setstages wont work you need to try startquest as it is a new quest.

Back
Top Bottom