Tinted windows

Soldato
So...with the recent arrival of our first child we really need to get some tints for the car as the little one is being blinded when she's ferried about. I'm aware that I can't legally go more than 70% on the front so I'll probably leave them well alone and they must already be slightly tinted. With regards to the rear and back window I'm learning towards maybe 50% because as well as being functional I don't want them to ruin the aesthetics of the car, especially as I can't touch the fronts. Has anyone here got tints on their car and experiences/pictures they'd be willing to share? I'd be particually interested (but not exclusively) in E46 owners as I own a black 330D saloon. I know that it's going to be a challenge to get it right without looking like the local drug dealer in a "diesel emfree".

I've got quotes from a few places and it's looking at coming in ~£150 with a 5 or 10 year guarantee. Does this seem about right for a saloon? I've been asking which film each firm uses as I've been told 3M is about the best but lot's of places use Johnsons or Solarguard. Are there any brands to avoid or is it mostly down the the quality of the fitting?

Any help is appreciated.

Soldato
Avoid solar guard tbh had it on a few cars and it seems easily marked. Have you considered the non drug dealer alternative of some sun shades/blinds for sunny days?

Associate
I've got rear tints on my car, an MG ZS, and yes it does maybe look a bit chavvy for me and I still have days when I consider having them removed, mine are quite dark - around 75% I think.
It was £140 at a local place, he did a great job and quite a few people have commented saying it's a good job, well fitted, etc.
To be fair I do quite like them most of the time, they keep the car cooler in the sun and keep the glare from passengers.
My car is silver and not an E46 330D saloon but here's a picture anyway :) (click for larger, didn't want to wade in with a massive image)

83vUos.jpg

Edit: forgot to don my flame suit, just in case!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We already have a couple of these in the car as along with looking completely pap they also keep falling off. I'd be surprised if they stay stuck on for more than a day at the moment. Plus the UV protection of the film too that appeals to me.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the image CaptainUnlikely. 25% is going to be too dark for mine I think but it'd useful to see the difference in the tints.
[TW]Fox;21697528 said:
Why not just get a set of the BMW sunblinds?
I didn't even know that BMW did them to be honest. They seem quite expensive at £170 for the set but they seem to fit very well and certainly 100 times better (although 100 times more expensive!) than the stick on ones. I've now seen that you can retrofit the electric rear blind without too much hassle and it's got the cogs turning over.

Tea Drinker
Don
Proper drug dealer Limo tint

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;21697725 said:
Without too much hassle isn't quite true unless you have heated seats.
That might have sounded a bit flippant on my part. I just meant it is possible for an amateur to do it at home.

Soldato
OP
Proper drug dealer Limo tint
The oldest drug dealer in town, cruising in is Volvo! ;)

Again, too dark. And it makes the difference in tint between the front and back windows so obvious unfortunately, It's a shame that you can't legally tint the fronts too much.

Has anyone declared their tints to their insurance company and had an increase in premiums?

Associate
The oldest drug dealer in town, cruising in is Volvo! ;)

Again, too dark. And it makes the difference in tint between the front and back windows so obvious unfortunately, It's a shame that you can't legally tint the fronts too much.

Has anyone declared their tints to their insurance company and had an increase in premiums?

I declared mine but also declared an aftermarket exhaust at the same time, increased my premium by £50 on an £800 policy but I'm 20 so telling them I sneezed last week would also do that.
I ideally wanted a light tint on the front windows too, to minimise the difference between the fronts and rears, but as you say it's not really possible.

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough, I parked next to an identical 3 series to mine today which had tinted windows. And although it was slightly modified cosmetically the tints didn't look great. I think on an aging BMW they just look a bit naf and a compromise I'm not willing to make.

On the up side, as per Fox's suggestion I've managed to find some sun blinds (not OEM, they were over £250 for rear widows and rear blind) for a reasonable £85 so I'll get them ordered this week. Plus they are removable for days when it's perhaps not as bright.

Soldato
You don't need to have them mega dark to protect the kids, most films have UV barriers in them anyway.

I'd just go for a light smoke in the rear windows, it will be dark enough to protect the kids from the sun and be light enough to look OEM-ish.

Back
Top Bottom