Replacement laptop - Dell Studio 17

Soldato
I’m considering handing my laptop over to my girlfriend and getting myself a new one… missus doesn’t have a laptop, she is always using her phone however good as her iphone is, some type of work she simply cannot complete on a mobile device…

Problem we have is that my laptop is rather large (we will address this later),but biggest concern is that it’s a DELL Studio 17 and it’s quite a decent spec (back when I got it this was anyhow), so I want something that’ll be able to play games on. I do game a heck of a lot on a laptop. I use a set of sennheiser pc 330 g4me phones with a G400 gaming mouse, so trackpad and internal sound of no concern.. Importance on GPU and display…

Our or my current thinking is and this is based on me looking over quite a few reviews of various laptops, and the only laptop within budget is surprisingly this one –

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-127-SA

The Samsung 700G7A is from what I’ve seen without doubt totally unbeatable price per performance. I’ve always been pro DELL however the XPS 17 models are coming with a rather weak GPU, GT 555M with 3GB of memory and this looks to be a marketing gimmick if you ask me, from what I’ve heard /read the 555M based in the XPS 700 series is based on DDR3 and performance is greatly affected by this.

Only other laptops I’ve considered, but don’t look to be as good as the Samsung is the Asus range based on the GTX 560M

I’m going to sell the components in my desktop rig, my desktop rig is never used anymore to help recover some of the £1500 cost, and I’m going to sell the Dell Studio if the missus doesn’t get on with it.

Anyhow, my question is.. Is my logic correct?

The GT 555M is a weak GPU for gaming
The GTX 560M despite being a good GPU the Samsung 700G7A is overall the better option.

I’ve not been overly happy with ATI support in the past, the 5870 in my desktop rig was a bit of a mare at times to get stable with dual display, the 5650 in my Studio has at times proved a bit un-stable with drivers, however willing to stay with ATI as despite this, I think the GPU in the Samsung offers good performance, not convinced 3D gaming on a laptop is all that mind..

Soldato
So your missus wants a basic laptop, and as a result you're thinking of passing her your performance laptop, selling your desktop, and buying yourself a new performance laptop?

How about just buying her a basic Inspiron or similar for £300 and save a load of money and hassle?

Soldato
OP
Didn’t seem to get much response to what I posted, anyhow been researching some more and it’s a total minefield out there regarding GPU’s.

I honestly don’t know which GPU I really should be looking at.

Obviously I want an improvement on my existing Laptop GPU – ATI 5650
Would like to be reaching levels of the desktop ATI 5870 seeing as I’ll be selling this.

The ATI 5870 could play Metro 2033 at 1920 x 1080 DX11 with MSAA x4 at above 30fps so what are we actually looking at in regards to a Laptop GPU that’s somewhere between the ATI desktop 5870 and performs better then a mobile ATI 5650?

I do like the price and style of the Dell XPS 17 702x, its certainly cheaper then the Samsung G700 but the GT555M isn’t filling me with complete confidence I’ll be any better off then with my existing Dell studio 1749 ATI 5650, which can’t really run Metro 2033 above 720p and AAA DX9 with a hope of even reaching 30fps, yet maintain it.. : - )

The comments about buy a desktop etc… Well I’ve got a capable desktop, but the room its in – well, its being converted into a kids room for our 3 month old baby girl.. So, I’m already consigned to laptop only for another reason, but once the desktop is removed from the spare bedroom – well nowhere to put a big bulky desktop so its being sold and I’m buying another laptop..

Its laptop gaming for me, or no PC gaming at all and I game on my PS3 console only..

And I can't really play Metro 2033 or the Witcher 2 or Legend of Grimlock etc on a PS3.. lol

Soldato
OP
So your missus wants a basic laptop, and as a result you're thinking of passing her your performance laptop, selling your desktop, and buying yourself a new performance laptop?

How about just buying her a basic Inspiron or similar for £300 and save a load of money and hassle?

I will have to sell the desktop - too bulky and room being used for our 3 month old baby

Missus needs a laptop, as she would use the desktop, but its being sold. We could share the laptop we currently have, but I know her, she'll end up on facebook all night and i'll never get to play a game once baby asleep lol

So, need for two laptops, no desktops. One needs to be a very capable gaming laptop... Other needs to be good at erm, facebook and downloading iphone photos.. lol

Soldato
OP
Well....

I've made my mind up..

I'm just going to go all out and wait for the newer model samsung.

Reported to be something along the lines of -

Samsung NP700G7C-S01UK Laptop
Display: 17.3" HD+ LED Full HD 3D (1920x1080 Super Bright 400 Nit) with 3D Glasses included in the box
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3610 QM Processor 2.3 Ghz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 2GB DDR 5
Storage: 1.5 TB SATA + 8GB SSD
Memory: 16 GB
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

Was thinking about the Dell XPS, as my Studio 1749 has been a fine laptop, but the GT555M is a total killer to me, its not quick enough, I did the same last time around the the Dell 1749, went cheaper and paid in the end, as the 5650 just wasn't quick enough for true laptop gaming.

The GTX 675M is looking to be 'one' of the quickest Mobile GPU's released to date, expect ATI to do something that'll top it, but for me, the samsung looks a done deal.

I'll put my desktop rig up for sale, hopefully this'll help me find the monies i'm currently short to buy a samsung.

Associate
The 675 is just a rebranded 580m. Its basically a down clocked desktop 560 ti.
It is the most powerful card at the moment with the ati 6990 nipping at its heals. There is an nvidia 680 due very soon which is an actual kepler gpu but not much info on it yet.

Think you have made a good choice, my only concern is the price! Have you considered an alienware m17x? I just picked up a 580m version and 2670qm for £1000 from the outlet if you have time and patience to wait for one

Soldato
OP
The 675 is just a rebranded 580m. Its basically a down clocked desktop 560 ti.
It is the most powerful card at the moment with the ati 6990 nipping at its heals. There is an nvidia 680 due very soon which is an actual kepler gpu but not much info on it yet.

Think you have made a good choice, my only concern is the price! Have you considered an alienware m17x? I just picked up a 580m version and 2670qm for £1000 from the outlet if you have time and patience to wait for one

Can't link here, but found it with VAT back on pre order for just over £1100... for what you get, thats a really good deal I felt.

I have looked at the M17x range, along with the Dell XPS 702x and the ASUS G Series but honestly for my needs, I need the best GPU i can afford and sems the Samsung fits the bill perfectly.

Soldato
OP
Well if you can get it for 1100 then I dont blame you! Especially with IB, 16gb and 1.5tb! I thought they were 1600+

Now £1438.80 (inc. VAT)
VAT back: £239.80
Final price: £1199.00

Can't really grumble at that price... Laptop isn't even out yet, but they'll take a pre order.

Back
Top Bottom