What was it like growing up in the 80's.

Gangster
Associate
My dad is always reminising about his childhod, he was born in 1972. He introduced me to a lot of music/movies during my childhood and i cant thank him enough. I was born in 93 and my fav kid movie of all time was the goonies, oh god they dont make movies like that anymore and thats serious.

Im sounding like a old geezer, just like my dad but damn it it true the movies, cartoons,music was much better then. then nowadays ****. So what was it like for you old folks on this forum?

Soldato
My dad is always reminising about his childhod, he was born in 1972. He introduced me to a lot of music/movies during my childhood and i cant thank him enough. I was born in 93 and my fav kid movie of all time was the goonies, oh god they dont make movies like that anymore and thats serious.

Im sounding like a old geezer, just like my dad but damn it it true the movies, cartoons,music was much better then. then nowadays ****. So what was it like for you old folks on this forum?

I don't like to "Grammar Nazi" very often but really, do you even look at the screen while you're typing?

Caporegime

the goonies was an awesome movie

For other quality 80s teen movies see - the Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller and the Lost Boys.

edit - should also add: the karate kid, bill and ted's excellent adventure, back to the future and weird science.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kids TV was miles better back then. You still get some gems nowadays but they are few and far between. Music was generally better back then too. Artists that were generally talented that they wrote their own songs that they could actually sing. Movies were more original back then too. sure they're more polished now but no interesting ideas any more.

Last edited:
Gangster
Associate
OP
the goonies was an awesome movie

For other quality 80s teen movies see - the Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller and the Lost Boys.

edit - and the karate kid.

I have seen the lost boys, and Ferris Bueller, what is the Breakfast Club?, and my keyboard is very old, it dosent register the keys properly sometimes, but hey its the internet not a english exam

Soldato
But we are looking back at the '80s now so we only tend to remember the good, (or notoriously bad), movies etc ... not the many mediocre ones. Where as you can remember the current rubbish ones now. There was a cluster of good teen movies in the mid to late '80s (including those that Dowie mentions) but there was also a great deal of utter chod.

I grew up during the 80's and I can't say it was particularly great. Most of the good movies I ended up watching many years later.

Soldato
Actually something that's pretty important is that as a kid in the 80s I had a great deal of personal freedom.

I could go out and play all day unsupervised. I used to walk to the shop age 7 on a saturday morning to buy my football stickers, it's over a mile away.

My mum and dad weren't afraid of paedophiles in the same way that there's all the hysteria now.

I don't think kids now get that kind of freedom and it's quite sad.

Man of Honour
Actually something that's pretty important is that as a kid in the 80s I had a great deal of personal freedom.

I could go out and play all day unsupervised. I used to walk to the shop age 7 on a saturday morning to buy my football stickers, it's over a mile away.

My mum and dad weren't afraid of paedophiles in the same way that there's all the hysteria now.

I don't think kids now get that kind of freedom and it's quite sad.

Nostalgia aint what it used to be, is it?

Meanwhile, in the real world, I suspect kids still play out and walk tot he shop to buy football stickers.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21790907 said:
Nostalgia aint what it used to be, is it?

Meanwhile, in the real world, I suspect kids still play out and walk tot he shop to buy football stickers.

That's not the impression I get these days. I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I had a lot more freedom than kids do now.

Soldato
All my kids have similar freedoms to be fair, but all 3 live in quieter areas.

I don't think its pedos etc that parents are worried about, it's traffic. There's a lot more around than there used to be.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Films are better today, toys are better today, TV is better today. Technology is much, much, much better today. Nostalgia is overrated. Not to mention there isn't the fear of nuclear anhillation hanging over you, which is a plus...

Associate
All my kids have similar freedoms to be fair, but all 3 live in quieter areas.

I don't think its pedos etc that parents are worried about, it's traffic. There's a lot more around than there used to be.

Good to know the topics that me and my partner should be really worried about.

(I have to put rolleyes here - just in case).. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour

Well I was nearly leaving school when your dad was born so thanks.

Movies, music and cartoons weren't better in the old days, they were just different.
I just hope that when I grow up (I'm 54 now) I don't have your attitude.

Soldato
Born in 73
Winters were snow covered and the world didn't grind to a halt.
You walked to school on your own, rain or shine and if you forgot your PE kit you did it in your underpants, no one brought you the kit from home for you.
Schools didn't close because it was a bit windy or there was a dusting of snow on the ground
You had a paper round if you wanted money
and you went to cub scouts and knocked on doors for spare change (forgot the cause :o)
You messed around in the woods and built hideouts without fear of being anally raped
You didn't worry about getting mugged or having the **** kicked out of you
You wondered what the hell that white poo was from on the pavements.
You mowed the lawns without question
You mowed your neigbours lawns for extra pocket money
You helped wash the dishes without question
and you certainly didn't back chat your parents teachers or elders, well unless you liked getting slippered / belted or caned that is.
If you got caught by a copper doing something you shouldn't, you were dragged back to your home by the ear lobe and got more slippering / belting or caning by your parents.
Your parents thanked the police for this service!
You didn't get £1 million quids worth of Christmas presents, you got a few wooden toys, maybe a Tonka toy if you were really lucky and you were thankful.
Your parents had big hair, beards and frilly clothes and didn't sit you in front of a TV to keep you quiet.

OK bored now. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom