Just a boring old Mondeo

Soldato
One query I had though; I presume the tints were factory fitted but they look really dark, so is there any way to check what the light transmittance is. serial number or code somewhere on the windows or manual?

Just concerned he might get stopped because the look too dark.

He's in a Mondeo, not a Corsa :)

Soldato
Is the patch in the grill not covering a tow point? my old focus had one and there was a brassy coloured loop in the boot that screwed into the hole behind the patch.

Hi, as I also owned a Mk4 Titanium X I can vouch for it being a cover for the towing eye.
They also came in Tango and too my eyes it was the best colour ever for the Mondeo but sadly dropped:

mondeo11.jpg

mondeo7-1.jpg

mondeo15.jpg

It was a 2.0l diesel and I had the ecu remapped and boy did it drive like a petrol, fantastic acceleration.

Chris

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi, as I also owned a Mk4 Titanium X I can vouch for it being a cover for the towing eye.

I don't think you're looking at the same point for towing eye - they're talking about the blanked off honeycomb shape of the grille to the right of the Ford badge on the front.

I would assume it's a cooling issue, potentially for colder markets? (freezing crankcase vent pipes perhaps). Could be cooling is too good and needs less air flow.

Soldato
OP
I don't think you're looking at the same point for towing eye - they're talking about the blanked off honeycomb shape of the grille to the right of the Ford badge on the front.

I would assume it's a cooling issue, potentially for colder markets? (freezing crankcase vent pipes perhaps). Could be cooling is too good and needs less air flow.

I found out they are Adaptive Cruise Control radar blanking plates.

Caporegime
Great cars, gf has one. Love the heated leather seats and the steering wheel.

And until she got one, I never realised how cavernous the boot was and just how big Mondeos had become.

I beleive they are bigger than BMW 5 series now. I don;t ever remember the older mondeos being that big?????

Soldato
OP
It always makes me laugh when sites class it as a mid-size family car. I'm not sure what's mid-size about it...

It certainly took me by surprise when I first got into one just how big it was. I had a couple of people sit in it one behind the other and praising its size, one being 6ft 3 and the other 6ft 5.

Caporegime
It always makes me laugh when sites class it as a mid-size family car. I'm not sure what's mid-size about it...

Thing is I used to think of them as mid-sized family cars and pretty sure they were.

Nowadays, there aren;t many cars bigger on the road.

The Mk 4 is 1500mm high, 4778mm long and 1886 mm wide. The Mk 5 is 91 mm longer still!

The MK 1 was 1372mm high, 4481mm long and 1748 mm wide. So in 4 reincarnations it's risen 128mm, 297mm longer and 138mm wider.

Soldato
OP
Nice purchase OP, looks lovely! What's the MPG like on these? Is it as bad or worse than the Focus ST?

On my first trip back home after filling it up, I was seeing upto 31mpg driving leisurely down some B-roads. After more spirited drives, it ends up at 24mpg. I believe the engine is slightly detuned compared to the ST to meet the lower tax band but with the added weight, I imagine the average MPG is similar to the ST's.

ADL

ADL

Associate
I too have recently bought a 2008 2.5T Titanium X and like you, I love it (despite it being a humble Mondeo).

Mine's silver but doesn't look as nice as yours as it doesn't have the sport trim so the rear bumper is slightly different hiding the exhausts and I don't have that fancy red trim either which makes me sad!

I've never really bettered 25mpg but then again, I've never really tried that hard as it's quite addictive putting your foot down and letting the turbo kick in! (Childish, I know).

As for the blanking plate in the grille, mine doesn't have one but I don't have Adaptive Cruise Control either. (At least I don't think I do!).

Adam

ADL

ADL

Associate
Oh, and I would say that in every single way the car is much better than the 2.4 Accord Type S that it replaced. Even, strange as it may seem, in the interior quality stakes.

Adam

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom