Anyone have a USB musical keyboard?

Soldato
The reason I ask is because over two years ago I bought a Keystation 88es USB keyboard and haven't heard a peep from it :D I got it when I was at college but ended up just sticking it in the cupboard allowing it to gather dust. I recently remembered that I had this thing and thought I'd give it a wee go only to find out that I've lost the ableton live CD that came with it.

Just wondering if there was any free software out there that I could use and do these things have the ability to run off a USB port connected to your laptop?

Thanks in advance peeps :)

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

No worries dude...I'm outta suggestions so I'll leave it to someone who knows what they're talking about ;) Hope you get it sorted.

Soldato
Er, I'm a bit confused... This is a MIDI controller but you're expecting sound. You are running some music software with instruments loaded, aren't you? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?

Soldato
OP
Er, I'm a bit confused... This is a MIDI controller but you're expecting sound. You are running some music software with instruments loaded, aren't you? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?

As far as I know I am :D I have loaded some instuments into Ableton and when I press the keys on the keyboard I can see a couple of lights flash on the music software so I'm assuming that some kinda signal is being received.

I knew I shoulda bought a Rolf Harris Stylofone :D

Soldato
As far as I know I am :D I have loaded some instuments into Ableton and when I press the keys on the keyboard I can see a couple of lights flash on the music software so I'm assuming that some kinda signal is being received.

I've not used USB for this (have always used MIDI cables), so this may or may not be relevant...

Do you have the MIDI send channel on the keyboard set the same as the MIDI channel assigned to the instrument(s) in the software? Lights flashing suggests that you are getting a MIDI signal, but it's probably not on a channel associated with anything.

Associate

You are getting MIDI signal then. Each audio track has a red (if it's on) record button below the track number. Press that in on yer MIDI track (with a synth in the MIDI track) and then try and play it.

LiveTech_02.jpg

Soldato

have you tried turning on your speakers? ;)

edit: actually seriously I've never used such a device but perhaps you have more than one audio output and the software is trying to output on the wrong one? is there an output device selector?

Last edited:
Soldato

have you loaded a patch into the software instrument?

Back
Top Bottom