Can a 430W PSU handle it?

Associate
I have done a Calculation and you should need at least a 500w PSU, so no, a 430w will not suffice, or at least not for long. The 460 is a very power consuming card unfortunetly.

82422527.png

Associate
He put 2 IDE 7200 Rpm drives on, the calculator makes that around 70 watts extra

Well he hasn't spec'd a HDD, and presuming he may have more than one storage device like some of us I thought I would put another thing in, as he may only have a single 250Gb one now, and may want a 1Tb one later. Wouldn't want him to go buy another HDD without having to ask if his Power supply will be too stressed.

Just imagine that, new HDD, all excited, plug it in, PSU heats up, goes POP and bye bye components..

When it comes to power supplies, always over spec. Nothing worse than having to buy a new PSU each time you want to make an addition to your PC because the guys on the forum spec'd one that will just suffice with current components.

I bought a 800w One, knowing I only need 550w (I have 4 HDD's), but this allows me to think, I want a new GPU and I have £250, Ooh, that one is £245, but I cant buy it as I also have to budget in a PSU upgrade. Then again when I want to SLI, then again when I want to overclock.

Not trying to be rude, just trying to get my point across :)

Last edited:
Associate
It should work, but it will be pushing it quite hard, it would be over 80% Load I guess which isnt good specially on just bronze psu.

Efficiency has absolutely nothing to do with a PSU's capabilities...

@OP The rig really won't consume more than ~250w under full load at stock, so yeah it's fine.

Well he hasn't spec'd a HDD, and presuming he may have more than one storage device like some of us I thought I would put another thing in, as he may only have a single 250Gb one now, and may want a 1Tb one later. Wouldn't want him to go buy another HDD without having to ask if his Power supply will be too stressed.

Just imagine that, new HDD, all excited, plug it in, PSU heats up, goes POP and bye bye components..

When it comes to power supplies, always over spec. Nothing worse than having to buy a new PSU each time you want to make an addition to your PC because the guys on the forum spec'd one that will just suffice with current components.

I bought a 800w One, knowing I only need 550w (I have 4 HDD's), but this allows me to think, I want a new GPU and I have £250, Ooh, that one is £245, but I cant buy it as I also have to budget in a PSU upgrade. Then again when I want to SLI, then again when I want to overclock.

Not trying to be rude, just trying to get my point across :)

:o

Any decent PSU will have working OCP/OPP, so it's not going to pop if it's overloaded.

Also, do you know what a kill-a-watt is? Use it, and you'd be surprised how little power you actually need. You certainly don't need a 550w with a measly GTX 560Ti.

Lastly the typical power consumption of HDD's is like ~10-15w.

what stops you getting OCZ 500W one for like 30 pounds... 430 would work in your build, but it would be stressed a lot. Overclock would be defenite no-no

Nonsense.

Last edited:
Associate
Efficiency has absolutely nothing to do with a PSU's capabilities...

@OP The rig really won't consume more than ~250w under full load at stock, so yeah it's fine.

:o

Any decent PSU will have working OCP/OPP, so it's not going to pop if it's overloaded.

Also, do you know what a kill-a-watt is? Use it, and you'd be surprised how little power you actually need. You certainly don't need a 550w with a measly GTX 560Ti.

Lastly the typical power consumption of HDD's is like ~10-15w.

Nonsense.

I know, but check my CPU, I have overclocked it and am subject to intense power draw..

jz7tg.jpg

I know it over estimates, but still.

Back
Top Bottom