Anyone gone from iPhone to WP8

Associate
As per the title, I've just upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 5 and very nearly went for one of the new Nokia WP8 handsets but at the last minute stuck with what I know.

Went for a drink with a mate last night and he had the new Nokia and what a lovely bit of kit it is. Same with the OS, no one can deny iOS needs a big update to bring it in line with WP8/Android so debating swapping my 5 for a Nokia 920 or similar. Anyone done it, and any regrets?

Realise, the apps certainly arent in the same league but for what i use my phone for (mail, text, news mainly) that aint really an issue. Got my iPad and Nexus 7 for main app use.

Soldato
I'm planning to and I'm a long time iPhone user (early adopter). I would have done already if it wasn't for the fact I can't seem to find a HTC 8X in anything other than purple. :o

Soldato
If Vodafone were to I introduce the Lumina 920 then I would definitely considering over the iPhone 5... Sadly I don't think that it will happen for a while at least.

Associate
OP
If Vodafone were to I introduce the Lumina 920

Aaargh, you are right, I've just moved my contract over to Vodafone and hadn't realised they didn't offer the 920, just checked after seeing your post and that is indeed the case. Ah well, I'm keeping the iPhone 5 for a while longer then. :(

Soldato
I had a WP7 device through work for a while. The OS looks very polished but everything feels a bit lightweight. There's no depth in functionality.

The fact that there's a special "super SDK" for a select number of partners puts me off. If you're a third party developer and you only have access to the normal SDK then you're limited in the kinds of apps you can make.

Permabanned
Hi guys got both at the min iphone 5 and nokia 920 both on 02
so far the screen and touch on the nokia 920 is so nice its unreal the phone very fast for every thing
live tiles very nice but could update faster
but
apps not as good as the iphone i think it will need time for this to get better if therer apps were there the noika 920 is the way to go
but at the min will give it a few more days and may be back to the iphone till things get better

Soldato
The fact that there's a special "super SDK" for a select number of partners puts me off. If you're a third party developer and you only have access to the normal SDK then you're limited in the kinds of apps you can make.

Is this still the case for WP8? I know it's meant to be a lot better now but I've not yet used it.

Soldato
The screen on the 920 is really amazing, think it's a bit better than the 5's so a good upgrade from the 4/4s as well. I'm just holding back upgrading a 4s to a wp8 until I've seen them all in the shops first.

Associate
OP
Surely if thats your only use then any old phone made in the last 5 years will suffice?

Not really, I want great solid build quality, an excellent screen, a polished OS and speed. All those things are useful for more than just Angry Birds.

And given that spec, its looking like the 920 and iPhone 5 are looking best, with the 920 having the better OS and better screen and my iPhone 5 stomping all over WP8 app-wise. I'm hoping that once Windows 8 desktop apps start appearing in droves then the mobile ones should follow given the tooling is the same.

Soldato
I find "the app issue" varies so wildly from person to person it's really hard to quantify. For some it's a deal breaker, others don't really care. I consider myself somewhere in the middle. As long as the big apps are there then I'm not really that bothered.

Associate
What matters if you have one milion apps for ios and one thousand for wp8? It is highly unlikely that you won't be able to find the handfull of applications you use on a daily basis

Caporegime
I seriously would wait.

The app offering hasn't picked up yet and i'm not impressed with this first batch of handsets.

It will come good though, i'm certain of it.

Depends what you want from an App, yes iOS has the best selection of apps but WP has a large number of exclusive titles, especially games, that are great, just not known because they haven't been released on iOS and Android.

Back
Top Bottom