alternative to macbooks?

Associate
girlfriend's laptop blew up and she wants a new one.

She has her eyes set on a macbook...but I'm not paying a grand for crap specs just because it's got an apple logo on it.

She uses it for surfing & watching tv series, skyping her family and word/excel work.

I'm thinking something like a cheap Lenovo or anything in the max~500 range cause anything more is a waste, but it's got to be durable, powerful enough and look nice.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Associate
Most premium laptops are around the same price and spec as MacBooks though. Lenovo's X series is at a similar price point as a MBA/MBP, and not much different in spec either.

Anyway, I've seen a few secondhand (in good condition) Lenovo X220's for around £400, I remember seeing one with the battery slice at a local computer store for £430. Lenovo also do the X131 series for under £500, the screen is 11" though, but that shouldn't be too bad for she intends to use it for.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
It still won't solve the problem of crap spec for the price.

MW

As has been said, they're not grossly overpriced when stacked next to other laptops. You're not 'paying for an Apple logo'.

A second-hand MBA will tick all the boxes, or for £500 you could get a chunky 15.6" Lenovo Z580, i5 HD4000, 6Gb, 1Tb and GT630M. I wouldn't say it "looks good", but yeah - it has better spec. She won't care about that though, she'll care that it's a lot heavier, thicker and plasticy.

Back
Top Bottom