• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you think my GTX 680 is DOA?

Associate
Hi,
I just receved my nex stuff to start overclocking but I think my graphic card is DOA, that or my alimentation is not powerfull enought.

Seasonic 600W
SSD 330 Series 240GB
Kingston HyperX blu 16 Go DDR3 1600 MHz CL10
Asus GTX680-4GD5 4 GB
Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4 GHz)
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

So here is the story. when I power up the rig it first display this screen for 2 minutes :
560229one.jpg

the motherboard's buzzer beep 4 times, 1 each 30 seconds.

then I have a black screen with the letter "M" everywhere, if I put memtest86 in the dvd drive I get the same thing but with a blue background.
720179two.jpg

If I replace the GTX680 by a GTX480 then the system works fine.

What do you guys think? Alimentation or Graphic card?

thanks =D

Soldato
I'd say GPU if it's fine with a 480. That takes more power than a 680. Send OcUK a webnote. Reseat the graphics card into another PCI slot, and check the 680 to see if anything's dodgy. Tall order, I know.

Associate
OP
Well tried on the other port, same thing.

tried a GTX 480 and a 8800 GTX, working.
As you said since the GTX 480 is hungrier in power than the GTX 680, then she should be DOA :'(.

I didn't buy it on overclocker (I'm new, I'm only suposed to post about component bought through overclockers?).
And thank god I took an insurance, in case of DOA I get and instant exchange without question asked.

still, the process will last 1-2 weeks.

Soldato
if you've only just received it - surely you can (if within time limit) go route of sending back under distance selling - can be for no real reason - but if faulty - I think you get all your postage back ?

would be a lot quicker ?

Associate
OP
if you've only just received it - surely you can (if within time limit) go route of sending back under distance selling - can be for no real reason - but if faulty - I think you get all your postage back ?

would be a lot quicker ?

Are you asking me to send it back using the 7 days retractation legal time?
Sending it back without saying she is dead, just that I don't want it to get my money back?

I thought about it, but the card was inside a platic bag sealed with a factory tape.

I Cutted the tape.
So they will notice that it has been used.

back to the problem, can the part that manage PCI express 3.0 on a motherboard be dead? without impacting PCI express 2.0 use on the same slot?

because the GTX 480 is 2.0 whereas the GTX 680 is 3.0.

Soldato
Are you asking me to send it back using the 7 days retractation legal time?
Sending it back without saying she is dead, just that I don't want it to get my money back?

I thought about it, but the card was inside a platic bag sealed with a factory tape.

I Cutted the tape.
So they will notice that it has been used.

back to the problem, can the part that manage PCI express 3.0 on a motherboard be dead? without impacting PCI express 2.0 use on the same slot?

because the GTX 480 is 2.0 whereas the GTX 680 is 3.0.

Doesn't matter if you've used it. You can still DSR return. How else can you test it out?

Associate
OP
In my country DSR is only for when you change your mind, meaning you didn't opened it.

Anyway, I tried it on an other motherboard, it did not even power up the screen so she's indeed DOA.
I contacted my vendor and got a return number.

That's the first time I return something, Finger crossed.

Back
Top Bottom