• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 7970 gpu based on these requirements?

Associate
I'm looking for two 7970 cards (xfire) based on the following requirements. Would prefer non stock cards if possible for better cooling, noise and looks.

-- When installed top should be black (would like to avoid the all blue pcbs)
-- Height must be around 40mm so that when I install two of them there's plenty of room in between for cooling.
-- Should have dual-dvi ideally

Does such a card exist? I've been going through the ocuk 7970 cards over and over again and the only two I've found have issues.

-- the msi lightning cards have no dual dvi - I need 2560x1440 and access to the bios screen on boot so I'm guessing I cannot use display port

-- the asus matrix hd platinum I already have and adding two of these in leaves zero space between them resulting in the top one overheating and causing erroneous artifacts to appear in game and game crashes

All the rest seem to be blue on top when installed.

Would really appreciate some feedback from you guys. Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. This is for an air cooled build only but it's one where I was trying to go for a black and red theme if possible hence the black (I have a windowed case). Regarding ref cards, when I was looking over the ocuk cards, I automatically eliminated the ref cards (although I forgot to mention this in my OP), as I wanted to go for non-ref for better cooling and noise (as well as looks). So you can see why it's so difficult to find a card now. Of the two ref cards that ocuk has one of them is blue anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
VTX3D 7970?
Horrible red coloured non reference cooler, black(ref) PCB.

You could message OCUK to see if there's any possibility of getting them back in stock?
I've got one as my second card, i bought because they were cheap and i intended to WC.

The only cards i can think that hit all boxes are the MSI TF3..but that's a 7950.

Associate
The nearest one to your spec would probably be the Gigabyte Windforce 7970. It has DL-DVI and is one of the slimmest 7970s around, but the catch it isn't black on top. You can see part of the heatsink, but the fans and the fan cover are both black. It's a nice looking card tbh. Very quiet too. Only downside imo is that some of them are volt locked.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I actually did see both gigabyte cards on ocuk and really liked them especially because they are even slimmer than my requirements at 38mm! But I ruled them out due to being blue. But I've just looked at them again and have found something unusual.

The card on ocuk appears blue.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-097-GI&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938

However, if I search for the model number 'GV-R797OC-3GD' on google images I find this which shows it to be black.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/33697-gigabyte-radeon-hd-7970-oc-gv-r797oc-3gd/

Which is correct? And is this card in fact black? If it is black and OCUK pictures are wrong then I think I may have found what I'm looking for!

Associate
OP
Tonester0011 - Thanks. I can't find that on ocuk and to be honest having seen a picture of the 7950 equivalent I don't think I could bring myself to getting this unless I was WC. :)

Soldato
Tonester0011 - Thanks. I can't find that on ocuk and to be honest having seen a picture of the 7950 equivalent I don't think I could bring myself to getting this unless I was WC. :)

It's worse in person, good choice lmao. :p

Looking at the WF3, looks like it's hit the spot. Give OCUK a webnote to double check though?

Associate
OP
Yeah will do! It's really puzzling. There are tons of pictures on web of the Gigabyte in both black and blue. There does not seem to be any consistency which is very strange. Gigabyte's page on all their cards shows blue which is worrying.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. I've just made another finding. The reason I wanted dual dvi was because I was under the impression that display port does not show bios screen having heard numerous such reports. However I've just tested this with my current asus cards and it does actually allow me into the bios so maybe I'll risk going without dual dvi and get the msi lightning and see how it goes - hopefully that too will allow os image boots and bios entry on display port. Anyone think of any further reasons why I shouldn't get the msi lightning or should still have dual dvi as a requirement?

Associate
OP
Would it not be possible to stick a backplate on it?
I'd do it, but I have thumbscrews holding the cooler on...

Lol. You've totally lost me there. :) I'm not watercooling anything here. I'm looking for two cards for an aircooled build. It would be nice if they had ek full cover blocks but the msi lightning doesn't and for now that doesn't really matter.

Associate
OP
Not for watercooling, just for looks :)

Lol. Ok. Now I get you! :) Actually you know what. That never even occurred to me. I'm new to all this so to be honest I've no idea what that would involve. But yeah actually assuming I'm able to do that it makes picking a card a heck of a lot simpler! So where do I get such a backplate and is it just a case of screwing it on and how much height would that add to the card?

Back
Top Bottom