Tell me about the Lexus 450H

Associate
Thanks for the response mate. Would you be concerned by the high mileage? Should I try and stick to sub 100K? I understand that you can only get the Lexus warranty on cars that are under 8 years old which roughly will only give me 2 years.

Anything I should look out for when I go hunting?

I would not worry to much about mileage but look more at condition. I do take out the warranty every year have used it a couple of times with no quibble at all from Lexus. I would normally say check the owners club forums out for known issues but there is Tumble Weed blowing through the Tech section.

But be warned if something does go wrong it can mean big money my rear active stabilizer went and the parts alone where £4K.

I went from a Nissan 350Z HR into the GS I much prefer the GS for its pace, Quality, fit finish and hushed silence. I personally thing the ECVT gearbox is great no hunting for gears, no jerky changes and always in torque zone who needs a red line;)

Soldato
Ive got a GS300 with 95k now... few points:

1. Fuel pump failed, covered by Lexus under approved warranty
2. Soft suspension, bottoms out with a full load on sweeping roads, exhaust got ponged, covered by Lexus warranty
3. Poor on the corners of course (came from the 335i) but as a comfy cruiser it is superb (it does go round corners)
4. Very comfy, great leather seats vented and heated
5. Feels nothing like its age or miles to me

Overall, i found it a great car for the money. Now its time to change but I cant find anything that really comes close for the money. So well kitted out for a 2005 car.

I understand the 450h can have a number of issues with the battery, but its hard to quantify how common it is. Just have a search.

Id also consider a GS300. I chose it over the 450h at the time due to it being reasonable power and economy without the slight fear factor over the battery pack. Additionally the boot is bigger and ive heard mixed economy reports from 450h owners. For note I average 30mpg from mixed driving in the 22k miles or so I've done this year.

As a sub 10k car, it think they are great bargains.

Associate
OP
Right, after having driven a couple of 450hs, I'm itching more and more towards the 300 variant due to a) more boot space, b) only marginally less economical, c) a good few quid cheaper and d) less likely to go wrong than a hybrid system.

Currently looking at two (one private and the other indi dealer). Got some valuations through glass's and the current advertised prices are pretty much spot on so not sure if I'll be able to get anything off. Any other reputable valuations that I can use?

Also in two minds re whether to go for the lexus warranty or not (£1850 for 2 years). Have heard good things about 'Warranty Wise' which are coming out at £1,070 for 2 years. Anyone used them before?

Thoughts appreciated.

Soldato
Im about to trade my GS300 in, will be missed.

Its up to you regards warranty, but what age and mileage are you buying?

Seems expensive, but I'm used to BMW prices from the past

Associate
OP
Im about to trade my GS300 in, will be missed.

Its up to you regards warranty, but what age and mileage are you buying?

Seems expensive, but I'm used to BMW prices from the past

both 05, one has 71k miles and the other has 75k. Did you have the Lexus warranty? The private sale one was serviced by an indi garage for the last service (the previous 7 were done by lexus) so not sure if Lexus will even cover it. Any ideas?

Cheers

Soldato
Aye, I bought mine approved used at 70k ish, its just out of its year now but I did use it.

I reckon the issues I had were pretty rare though, one was a fuel pump failure (pricy) but its not common. The other was really my fault, the exhaust got hit when fully loaded and it fell off, but they covered it and replaced the whole thing. They said it shouldnt have come off at all and must have been corroded.

Dont think Lexus will cover it with the indy stamp, but I dont know the detail, might be worth a call.

One thing I did like was the cheap servicing. Also, new discs and pads etc are done under fixed price charges. My last service was a major and only cost me £250.

Man of Honour
£1800 is £900 a year which is about the cost of a 5 Series warranty with that sort of mileage, so the prices are inline with BMW.

Soldato
I quite like the new MY13 RX 450h F-Sport that my old man's got... but I would avoid them second hand though! Hybrid system sounds far too complicated to be running without warranty! Good idea just looking at the plain petrol instead :).

Man of Honour
My opinion on warranties is either risk it and put money in the bank or buy the manufacturer backed product. The rest are hit and miss at best, IMHO.

Soldato
one thing to watch is that every service the car has had is within 1000 miles or something like that.

they tried not to pay for the fuel pump at first as a previous service I had was 200 miles over this limit, but they soon backed down when I pointed out the car was approved used yet had a few services more than that out of the tolerance

Associate
Well it was issues I knew I was getting into.

And just because you posted that, I am going to post my current car....

20121128130504.jpg

good to see a fellow LS430 owner on here :D

Thought I was the only one!

Soldato
good to see a fellow LS430 owner on here :D

Thought I was the only one!

High five :D

Just changed the transmission fluid, was pretty straightforward with the right tools.

Drained from the pan and filled what came out.

Went to transmission cooler lines, drained 2 litres and filled 2 liters, did that 2-3 times.

Drained the overflow and all done!

Really love the car and had a compliment not long ago. Admittedly it was just some 10 year old kid that said to his mum to look at how nice my car was !

Was also pleasantly surprised to see the dealer left the engine bay like this after the service.

20121202212549.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom