Tell me about the Lexus 450H

Soldato
While we're talking Lexus...

I noticed yesterday that one of the rear parking sensors is intermittently falsely reading that there's something there (but both the camera and my eyes knew there wasn't!). Happened a couple of times during the day, but not other times and I can't think there was anything different between the occasions (rain etc).

Is there anything I can do to try and fix a dodgy parking sensor? Or just take it to the dealer? It’s a two month old MY13 RX450h.

Soldato
One of mine goes off constantly so they are switched off. I can see exactly what the problem is. One of the front sensors has a tiny dent/stonechip in it. Unfortunately for Lexus to supply, paint and fit is a fair whack. I don't know why they can't just sell me the sensor exterior cover so I can paint and replace it myself.

Soldato
Finally went ahead and bought one privately. It's a GS 300 SEL (05 reg) with 74k on the clock and full Lexus service history. It's the SEL version with all the bells and whistles (ML sound system, radar cruise, sunroof, reversing camera, Nav etc). Initial impressions - lovely to drive but drinks petrol like there is no tomorrow (got approx 29mpg on the motorway which is shocking !).

The brakes are also pretty rubbish (even though it was serviced last month and has brand new pads). I think its a GS thing rather than just my car as I've heard other owners complain about the brakes.

Overall I think its a lot of car for the money (paid £5,800) given it was approx £40k brand new.

Now the question is whether or not to get the £1,850 2 Year Lexus warranty. I'm dreading a massive bill if something goes wrong (which could potentially be more than what I paid for the car !). Thoughts?

How did you go about picking one up for that little? Seem to start at £7k on Auto Trader which is still good value IMO but at £5800 it becomes a rather tempting proposition.

Man of Honour
£5800 + £1850 warranty = 2 years of totally worry free zero hassle luxury car ownership.

Bargain. Thats a better deal than you'd get on an 18 month old Fiesta!

Soldato
It's a good deal but not hugely amazing IMO, sorry. For comparison a 2005 kitted out Mondeo would be not much more than half that, and a Lexus while nicer, with a 'poverty' engine isn't streets away and I'm not sure that it's worth paying double that.

Man of Honour
You can't compare a car of this class with a kitted Mondeo, sorry. And thats the first time I've heard a 250bhp V6 referred to as a 'poverty engine'. It's a different type of car entirely to a Mondeo.

Soldato
'Poverty' engine here meaning the slowest in the range. Alright then, here's a better equivalent from Autotrader: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301024765173. 2005 BMW 530i, <£5000. Clearly BMW work on options rather than trim levels much more than Lexus so it is hard to directly compare equipment and you will notice that at just over 100k miles a BMW warranty will not be cheap (if possible).
But hopefully it proves my point that it's decent value for money but nothing to write home about.

DiG

DiG

Associate
How did you go about picking one up for that little? Seem to start at £7k on Auto Trader which is still good value IMO but at £5800 it becomes a rather tempting proposition.

Thats not a bad price, but these surprisingly cheap cars! I paid £6300 for my '07 GS430, again with everyone on it (even the radar cruise). To be fair it is on 120k

Fantastic cars, I just hope Lexus never get popular...

Soldato
Finally went ahead and bought one privately. It's a GS 300 SEL (05 reg) with 74k on the clock and full Lexus service history. It's the SEL version with all the bells and whistles (ML sound system, radar cruise, sunroof, reversing camera, Nav etc). Initial impressions - lovely to drive but drinks petrol like there is no tomorrow (got approx 29mpg on the motorway which is shocking !).

The brakes are also pretty rubbish (even though it was serviced last month and has brand new pads). I think its a GS thing rather than just my car as I've heard other owners complain about the brakes.

Overall I think its a lot of car for the money (paid £5,800) given it was approx £40k brand new.

Now the question is whether or not to get the £1,850 2 Year Lexus warranty. I'm dreading a massive bill if something goes wrong (which could potentially be more than what I paid for the car !). Thoughts?

I am pretty sure that Radar Cruise wasnt introduced till 2007 thats why my 06 plate GS450H doesnt have it.

Associate
Yeah, theres a decent american co called Vaistech. They're pretty decent.

Or you can get a cheapy version on ebay which does the same job, but not too sure on it displaying names of artists etc on the screen.

I bought 2 different units to allow MP3 playback via USB / SD Card off ebay and neither worked, it appears my head unit has a problem on the rear CDC port :( . I don't think it's giving out enough voltage to power the unit

One was a Grom unit and the other was a Yatour unit

Last edited:
Man of Honour
'Poverty' engine here meaning the slowest in the range.

It doesnt work so well when the slowest engine in the range is pretty decent. Unless you think the Audi R8 V8 has a poverty engine, obviously.

Alright then, here's a better equivalent from Autotrader: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301024765173. 2005 BMW 530i, <£5000.

Excellent, so a higher mileage E60 with no service history. You think thats comparable to the car the OP has purchased?

But hopefully it proves my point that it's decent value for money but nothing to write home about.

I said a 2 year full-warranted by main dealer luxury Lexus was a 'bargain' not that it was deal of the decade. I did not put up any bunting nor purchase neon flashing lights. I simply said it was a bargain.

I stand by my opinion and no amount of posting dodgy examples of the worst 5 Series BMW ever made will change that :p

Associate
OP
The car was originally advertised for over £7K but the seller let slip that he was moving overseas in the new year which meant that he HAD to sell. So I went in with a cheeky offer of £5K and after a number of conversations we shook hands on £5.8k.

I still haven't added the warranty on as I'm not sure its worth it. I did notice tiny bubbling on the bonnet so took it to Lexus yesterday and looks like they will replace the whole bonnet under the 12 year corrosion warranty free of charge.

Soldato
The car was originally advertised for over £7K but the seller let slip that he was moving overseas in the new year which meant that he HAD to sell. So I went in with a cheeky offer of £5K and after a number of conversations we shook hands on £5.8k.

I still haven't added the warranty on as I'm not sure its worth it. I did notice tiny bubbling on the bonnet so took it to Lexus yesterday and looks like they will replace the whole bonnet under the 12 year corrosion warranty free of charge.

Good negotiation skills :D

Back
Top Bottom