Tell me about the Lexus 450H

Associate
OP
Thats not a bad price, but these surprisingly cheap cars! I paid £6300 for my '07 GS430, again with everyone on it (even the radar cruise). To be fair it is on 120k

Fantastic cars, I just hope Lexus never get popular...

Did you go for the Lexus warranty or banking the £1,850 and taking your chances?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23491374 said:
Should have bought a prefacelift E60 or a Ford Mondeo.

Vs a prefacelift GS? Oh my, shocker of the century. Firstly different situation and secondly back to the OP, I agree it's a decent deal, just that everyone's being a bit OTT with quite what a good deal it is.

So what's your point?

Man of Honour
Nobody is being OTT. We just think its a good deal.

Why not link us to some more BMW's with no service history or perhaps a Cat D Audi or something to show how expensive the Lexus was?

£5.8k for a 2005 sensible mileage executive car is a good deal - end of.

Associate
OP
So turns out that the front discs were warped so Lexus changed the discs and pads for £295. The cost seems reasonable. However, the tech mentioned that the front brakes are missing the shim kit and guess what the brakes now squeal like a **** and are doing my head in.

I'm slightly annoyed that they told me this when I went to pick up the car not when they were servicing it (I could've just told them to put in replacements). The shims seem quite cheap (can be had for around £10-15 off ebay) but now sure how much labour is involved. Should i book it in again at Lexus or get this done privately?

I could try and argue that they weren't squealing before Lexus replaced the pads/discs so they should sort it out for free but not sure if thats going to fly.

Soldato
The pads are really easy on the car, you could do it im sure.

I done the pads at home and it was as simple as you could ask for, no complications.

Soldato
If its like the LS then you dont even need a tool set, just a screw driver. The calliper doesn't have to come off, just pull out a pin, pads slide outand put some ceratec grease on.

Mine were squealing aswell, took me 2 minutes per side.

Associate
OP
If its like the LS then you dont even need a tool set, just a screw driver. The calliper doesn't have to come off, just pull out a pin, pads slide outand put some ceratec grease on.

Mine were squealing aswell, took me 2 minutes per side.

I want to add the shims rather than just putting grease on, is that simple as well? (I'm a complete n00b when it comes to repairing cars !)

Associate
OP
Cheers guys. I just spoke with a mate's friend whose a mechanic and he said that I should really go back to Lexus on this in the first instance as they were meant to replace the missing shims when replacing the brakes and pads (should be included in the part/fitting cost). He also said that only Lexus will have the genuine shims which will fit properly.

I realise that it is a pretty straightforward job but trying to get it done free of charge by Lexus (especially when they were meant to sort it in the first place) seems more tempting. Just wanted to get ppl's opinion here before chasing Lexus.

Don
I can echo what others have said. Pads on these are very easy. 5 mins it too me to do them on my GS430 I used to have.
But yeah, if Lexus will do it for free, might as well.

I ran a GS430 of the same revision as your 450H for 2.5 years and it never let me down. Never went wrong and not even a bulb blew in nearly 50k miles.
My main issue with the car was that Lexus, in an effort to compete with the 5-series, gave it sporty suspension. Unfortunately, they didn't give it the steering feel or geometry to take advantage of it. This made the car feel a little harsh over bumps but without the benefit of sweet handling on the limit. I found that the 430 could get out of shape really easily when pushed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi guys - anyone know how to access the hidden menu on the GS? I'm trying to override the nav menu so I can use all the features while driving (the system automatically blocks some of the features when the car is no longer stationary)?

It's quite annoying especially when it doesn't even show you the incoming call number on the screen !

Back
Top Bottom