So I failed my driving test... again.

Associate
3rd time now. Failed on more than my 2nd test too. My parents are saying my instructor hasn't been teaching me correct and that I should look at going for a different one for a second opinion, I'm not sure if that would be best or not myself so I'm here for a second opinion!

I do have a few concerns about my instructor though... He changed driving schools when I was 3 weeks from my first test, which meant a change in car too. He hadn't showed me anything to do with checking the engine until the day of the test. The questions the examiner asked me when we got in the car had all been based on common sense more than the actual way of doing things as he told me none of this either.

All in all I think I should really change, but I think I'll have a break first... Ah... I don't know what to do!

Any help? :(

----------------------------

UPDATE: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23961001&postcount=52

Last edited:
Soldato
Ditch the driving instructor and go full time with family member to improve.

I failed first time... ditched driving instructor and just used my own car for a few more hours being supervised. Next time I was less stressed and passed fine.

Soldato
My instructor didn't tell me what the checks were until our 'mock' test either that he did with me. Seems pretty standard practice to be honest...

It really all depends on what you failed on as to whether you should change.

kd

Associate
Yeah when I did my test a year ago, the instructor didn't tell me until about 1 hour before the test started about what is under the hud. After 12 months of driving I know a car inside and out, but the questions they ask you on the day are more in line with common sense.

What parts did you fail on with the test?

Associate
OP
Failed on different things each time. About 6/7 minors each time, but this time round I had majors for planning/awareness and a meeting situation. Last time round both of these were fine. Different examiner each time though.

Other concerns with the instructor? If I make a mistake on a lesson, he doesn't just calmy let me know, he seems to throw a tantrum and get ****ed off, very quickly. He has also made it into a habit to show up 5/10 minutes late to each lesson recently, however doesn't add the extra time on.

I wouldn't stop completely, just take a break for a bit. I've spent a load of money on it so far so I wouldn't just give up, but a break could do me good, is what I thought at least!

The idea of driving with parents is good, however it would mean being put on their insurance, whilst that could be costly it may be beneficial I guess.

Soldato
What did you fail the test on? You will have been told in the debrief and it will be marked on your sheet.

Though it's bad practice to only only show you under the bonnet checks just prior to the lesson, you can't acrew enough points to fail a test even if you get them all wrong.

But much of test is about confidence and feeling at ease. If you feel un-easy with you present instructor, swapping to another may help. Ask your instuctor what grade he is ideally he should be 5 or 6

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sounds like a change in instructor would be a good idea, if for no other reason than you pay for your lesson so you should be getting all of it!

Soldato
yeah sod that, find a nice friendly instructor. I failed twice and passed on the third try too. Don't worry about it, I know it's a pain waiting and that the tests are expensive but it'll be worth it when you pass, I promise :)

Back
Top Bottom