Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Im going to buy a Asus GT610 for my NL40 running linux today, hoping it will be enough to use it as a media center. Anyone know if there are any better options? or should i just go for it?

Associate
Love my micro server, hate anything that involves taking it apart though. Just added a two port SATA card, what a PITA :(

hpms.jpg

SSD boot, 4 x 2TB & 2 x 1.5TB :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Love my micro server, hate anything that involves taking it apart though. Just added a two port SATA card, what a PITA :(

I dread to think if I ever need to take the bloody 4 to 1 sata cable out again, first one I got it was broken, second one I JUST got it out, I hate it.

Man of Honour
Can anyone post some power consumption figures for idle and copying files over Samba?

If possible running FreeNAS/Nas4Free.

Would like to compare what my home built server pulls compared to the Microserver as I was too late for the cashback deal and decided self build would be cheaper than an N54L

Associate
I know that WHS 2011 will automatically partition a 3TB drive into 2TB and 1TB, but that I can retain them as full 3TB drives by adding them via Drive Manager.

However, is there any great advantage to keeping them unpartitioned at 3TB?

I've already purchased Stablebit Drivepool which allows me to pool the partitions together into one big drive, and I'm not planning to run a RAID array at present.

Any thoughts?

Desk

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Just a heads up about some ICYDOCK solutions to expand Microserver storage beyond the usual 4 disks.

One of their enclosures that fits in the 5.25inch bay can contain 6! 2.5 slim drives!!
Getting the mount that allows you to put two 3.5" drives in there is a better deal. Two 2TB for ~£150.
To match that with 4 standard 2.5" drives you'd need to spend twice as much, plus the cost of the SATA expansion card.

If you really need the extra drives, you're better of getting an esata card with Port Replication, and attaching a 4x or 8x estata drive tower.

Soldato
I think it is safe to say that only a few people are going to have a use for 6 SSD sized drives, but I'm sure someone does. I bet the PSU would struggle etc, but still interesting.

CD

Associate
So i've got my N40L all set up and working on a gigabit network.

I seem to see speeds up to ~100MB/s both read/write, these speeds average around ~90MB/s.

I'm running 3x2TB WD RED's at the moment at about 1.8TB usage, so at the end of the month i'm going to be adding another 3, giving me 9.6TB usable space in a RAID5 array. I've got to say I couldn't be happier with the server, the only thing I would mention is that it's a little noisey, even though I replace the fan with a super quiet noctua...

Associate
I've got an N40L setup with 4 x 2TB drives in running under Raid-Z in Nas4Free. Upgraded to 8GB of RAM. I get around 100mb/s write and I've not tested read. I've got the drives set to power down after 60 minutes of inactivity because the spinning of the drives is incredibly noisy.

Soldato
Is it worth getting a no fuss DS413J Synology NAS... or manually setup and mod an N40L?

Both on sale and both the same price.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got expaserated with external PSUs for DAS boxes failing on me and possibly taking my data with them. That's why I built a Microserver. Using FreeNAS the drivers are readable on any standard PC that will run FreeNAS. If a NAS Appliance like a Synology fails then you either need another box the same, or spares (if available) from the manufacturer to repair it.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I got expaserated with external PSUs for DAS boxes failing on me and possibly taking my data with them. That's why I built a Microserver. Using FreeNAS the drivers are readable on any standard PC that will run FreeNAS. If a NAS Appliance like a Synology fails then you either need another box the same, or spares (if available) from the manufacturer to repair it.

The drives can be removed from a Synology unit and hooked up to a Linux box for data recovery.

Back
Top Bottom