Need decent 46"+ HDTV. Most suck.

Associate
I bought a Panasonic 50ST50 a few months ago for 900€ (765£) and despite a few drawbacks I'm very happy with it.

For me the drawbacks are the light buzzing, which is only really noticeable when the image is bright and the sound is muted.
There is also the noticeable flickering on bright static images, my previous TV was a 4 year old Panasonic 42PZ80 and did not have this problem.
I got used to it now, but it did annoy me the first weeks.

Soldato
Tx-L47E5B was from co op. 479 quid. Search that product code in these forums.u can see the reviews I linked.

It was available at that price from John Lewis and co op. Richer sounds was a bit more expensive.

Good find.

Can get it for £550 from Richer sounds but it's not showing as in stock for lowe. You stole it tat that price. :)

Soldato
Plasma = Samsung E6500 if you dont mind BUZZING Or Panasonic if you dont mind FLICKERING
LED = Sony LED if you dont mind sacrificing some IQ for convenience etc.

Panasonic LED with IPS panel do not have very good black levels or contrast ratio. IMO this is the most important thing in a large TV.

My choice would be a Samsung 51E6500 and hope you dont get a bad buzzer.

Or maybe a Sony LED which is what I have at the moment and I am pretty happy with it. Motion is good for an LED, better than Samsung.

Last edited:
Associate
Panasonic LED with IPS panel do not have very good black levels or contrast ratio. IMO this is the most important thing in a large TV.

I beg to differ, the black levels on my Panasonic LED are almost as good as my mates Plasma! The below is a review of the 42" version.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-l42e5b-l32e5b-201207131935.htm

--------------------------------------
Taken from the review:

IPS panels have the best grayscale tracking of all current flat-panel televisions (with the possible exception of OLED TV). So as predicted, the performance of the 42E5 was excellent and comparable to the calibrated Dell 2209WA. There was no visible evidence of any serious black crush or any form of gamma error.

We failed to spot any form of error that would normally destroy or severely impact picture quality, which remained clean and faithful to the source. Thanks the wide viewing angle of IPS Mode, the image quality appeared very natural and realistic. There was no hint of translucent blacks that is common to VA panels with excessive gamma shift.

--------------------------------------

It also goes on to say the F1 looked like it had some ghosting, now I watch the F1 on SKY HD and see no such distraction!

Either way, I'm no fanboy, just love my TV :) Much nicer than my old LCD Toshiba from 2008.

Soldato
I beg to differ, the black levels on my Panasonic LED are almost as good as my mates Plasma! The below is a review of the 42" version.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-l42e5b-l32e5b-201207131935.htm

0.10 cdm2 black levels, whilst very good for IPS is literally nowhere near the black levels of plasma or SPVA panels.... SPVA is around 0.04cdm2 or better with local edge dimming and plasmas around 0.02cdm2....

Im sure the TV is good and that the motion is good etc. But the contrast ratio and black level is not... Also the input lag is too high for gaming with KB/M... Sorry to diss your TV but the poster did ask what is the BEST TV for under £750.

Last edited:
Associate
I get no input lag or ghosting in any fast par games I play Counter strike source, call of duty etc

I have a Samsung with an spva panel too and here isn't much in it.

As with the plasma, I didnt say it was better, just almost as good.

I don't take it personally, don't worry :) just giving my opinion on the tv I purhased and use daily.

I would also hate to recommend something that someone else hated!

Soldato
But you are just saying your opinions vs actual numbers which I am quoting... Anything above 30ms is too much input lag for gaming I think. Maybe it does not bother you but it probably bother other people used to PC monitors maybe.

Associate
Numbers mean nothing in real world performance, there are many products that on paper, their numbers say they should be better..... But in reality are not.

I mainly game on my pc using a monitor with 0 input lag so I know what I'm talking about. I'm not some kid on an Xbox :)

Associate
To back up my comment:-

TN 2 ms : Iiyama ProLite E2201W

http://www.behardware.com/articles/689-2/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-3rd-wave.html

Scroll down to the iiyama :)

- delay of 0 ms: there are those monitors (which are unfortunately too rare) that have very little or no input lag. The best of all is the Iiyama. It’s even the first one to have no delay since we’ve started this test. The Samsung 226BW S series is part of this group even if its lag isn’t exactly zero.

I also have one of these monitors:

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/philips-273g3dh-p12830/test.html

Pc spec:

Gaming:

i5 2500k @ 4.2
asrock z77 extremem 4
gtx480
16gb ddr3
128gb ssd OS
240gb SSD games
2tb storage
1tb back up drive

Pc connected to the panaosnic TV
phenom x4 965be
am3+ mobo
8gb ddr3
ati 6570
128gb ssd drive
3x 2tb WD green for movies & music

Last edited:
Soldato
Numbers mean nothing in real world performance, there are many products that on paper, their numbers say they should be better..... But in reality are not.

I mainly game on my pc using a monitor with 0 input lag so I know what I'm talking about. I'm not some kid on an Xbox :)

Hmmm well I am simply not sure what to say to that....

All I can say is I have owned about 15 different TV's and PC monitors ranging from 10ms - 60ms input lag and anything over 30ms is unplayable to me. 1 frame @60hz = 16ms 2 = 32ms etc.

Soldato

Can you name any of these products I would be interested lol.

Soldato
Yeh I never said it was not good I was just saying that for £750 there are better TV's for contrast ratio and input lag. The blacks are definately very good for IPS but plasma and SPVA are a fair bit better.

Associate
Yeh I never said it was not good I was just saying that for £750 there are better TV's for contrast ratio and input lag. The blacks are definately very good for IPS but plasma and SPVA are a fair bit better.

I guess how I was looking at it, I wanted to spend as little as possible.

I paid £479 inc delivery and 5 yr warranty for the TV. Compared to the £2000 my mate spend on his plasma a little over 14 months ago, there isnt £1400 difference if you know what I mean.

Sure his blacks are better, but, he also has a horrid glare on his screen when watching anytime before dark. Horses for courses tbh. Either way, I hope the OP find a beast of a TV that suits :D

Soldato
Sure his blacks are better, but, he also has a horrid glare on his screen when watching anytime before dark. Horses for courses tbh. Either way, I hope the OP find a beast of a TV that suits :D

So is his overall response time and refresh rate, the dynamic contrast ratio, the viewing angles etc.

Associate
So is his overall response time and refresh rate, the dynamic contrast ratio, the viewing angles etc.

You are clearly missing the point. I know plasma are better. So don't be trying to turn it into a led vs plasma thread.......

If I had 2k to spend I would have gone for a plasma, hell even if I had 1k I would have.

At my price point I would have been looking at an LG plasma that's hd ready....

Back
Top Bottom