Audi owners in here!

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;24086304 said:
Most needed retrofit ever - thats going to make a MASSIVE difference to the front of the car. Premium manufacturers cheaping out on projectors = fail.

SE Technik is a odd ball really, it comes with a decent spec, ie Leather,Sat Nav,Parking sensors, but then they omit the LED's, why oh why!

Para, its a great upgrade, that coupled with the wheel upgrade should really set the car off.

Out of interest, have you got any guides on bumper removal, I need to fit my Black Optics grill soon and it looks like a bumper off job, plus I can upgrade the horrible yellow fog bulbs too.

I wouldnt bother with the washers, they are just good for wasting washer fluid, they do nothing usefull what so ever.Grrr.

Caporegime
Might help if you stated an age of vehicle, and if you wanted to know anything specific?

It's a bit model specific to expect a relatively small motors community within a computer hardware forum to have an owner of an exact (aging) vehicle. I'm going to assume B6, although there wasn't ever a 190 (bhp, I guess it might be in PS), there was a 187 though.

Did you just want to someone to say "oh snap" if they owned one? Or did you want to know anything about them?

Caporegime
In that case, there are a few things to check depending on mileage, but I'd be primarily listening (you will have to listen, as its in the head) out for the cam chain/cam chain tensioner, as these tend to go around 100,000 - 120,000 miles. I'd want a service history that shows regular oil changes (and preferably an oil-pickup change at some point).

There aren't really many weak spots of the B6/B7 platform, so just keep an eye out for the typical stuff that you would do with any used car (electrics all work, aircon is cold, ominous noises, etc), and if it's an Avant, check that the rear wash-wipe works, as the wash tends to get gummed up.

Soldato
In that case, there are a few things to check depending on mileage, but I'd be primarily listening (you will have to listen, as its in the head) out for the cam chain/cam chain tensioner, as these tend to go around 100,000 - 120,000 miles. I'd want a service history that shows regular oil changes (and preferably an oil-pickup change at some point).

There aren't really many weak spots of the B6/B7 platform, so just keep an eye out for the typical stuff that you would do with any used car (electrics all work, aircon is cold, ominous noises, etc), and if it's an Avant, check that the rear wash-wipe works, as the wash tends to get gummed up.

Thanks for taking the time to offer some advice. I had my last car (a saab 900) for 8 years, so its been ages since I've been looking for a car.

Heres 2 examples of what I was thinking of going for.

car 1
car 2

Do these look like they might be worth taking a look at?

Soldato
OP
Knew my MOT was coming up soon, checked the documentation and it ran out last week! FFFFFFUUUUUUUU!

Booking in for MOT, Cambelt with service & Tyres...expensive month again!

Soldato
Knew my MOT was coming up soon, checked the documentation and it ran out last week! FFFFFFUUUUUUUU!

Booking in for MOT, Cambelt with service & Tyres...expensive month again!

Almost did that a couple of years ago but managed to get it in with a day to spare. This year I had it done early (couple of weeks ago) and it still has over a year to run now.

Xez

Xez

Associate
What's your budget? That year will be an 8p2, here are some weak points from what I know:

Cam follower worn through £24 part and DIY
Diverter valve is weak (diaphragm splits), replace with revised 'D' valve.
Clutches are known to be weak especially at stage one and aren't great at stock.

Make sure the haldex has been serviced every 40k and the cambelt should have been replaced by now.

Service costs are very reasonable and performance gains are relatively cheap.

The ride is shocking which is completely normal. Also a slight whoosh/turbo noise can be heard on gear change/dumping boost which is also normal.

Back
Top Bottom