North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Genuinely, thanks for that. I'm always man enough to admit i don't know everything and willing to grow/learn.

I honestly meant no malice and am far from a grammar Nazi (as my own spelling and grammar will often show) but for some strange reason it is one of those few things that stands out to me! Possibly because I quite like the origin of the word "moot"!

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/moot-point.html

Sorry to digress, but if it helps I quite like some Americans and some things about America even if I don't always agree with them so feel free to lambast me for it! :D

Soldato
Massive screeching bang heard over Widness if anyone lives there.

Really really loud followed by the sound of multiple huge fireworks, but no fireworks have been seen.

NK have descended upon us! - kidding, really loud bang @ Widness tho, odd.

Associate
Better, but basically it's the US, UK and Japan.

Off the top of my head:

Vivendi a.k.a infogrames, UBISoft, both French publishers.
Deep Silver known for X3, German publisher.
Appeal known for Outcast, Belgian.
CSG, known for Cossacks, Stalker, Metro, is Ukrainian.
Crytek, known for Crysis, Farcry, is German.
edit: Don't forget, Bluebyte, German developer of Settlers, Albion.

Last edited:
Soldato
Massive screeching bang heard over Widness if anyone lives there.

Really really loud followed by the sound of multiple huge fireworks, but no fireworks have been seen.

NK have descended upon us! - kidding, really loud bang @ Widness tho, odd.

Widness? You mean Widnes? Because it's a dump. The only claim to any kind of civilisation that place has is "Oh yeah we're kind of near the place where they filmed Two Pints."

Actually, I'll write to Mr Kim and ask him to bomb it.

Caporegime
A statement attributed to Pyongyang's Asia-Pacific Peace Committee said on Tuesday: "The situation on the Korean peninsula is heading for a thermo-nuclear war.

"In the event of war, we don't want foreigners living in South Korea to get hurt."

The statement urged "all foreign organisations, companies and tourists to work out measures for evacuation"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22075895

Caporegime
For some reason, The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist started playing in my head after i read that.

That boy does indeed need therapy, total mental, i know SK are used to sharing a border with NK and all the rubbish they have to deal with, however i think they've been very restrained on the situation, i wonder how much further NK are willing to go?

FTM

FTM

Soldato
just another emtpy threat

they have been making these statements for ages now but have nothing to back it up. It just looks like he is trying to appear powerful to his people..a new ruler trying to go up against the rest of the world, without actually doing anything. The poor buggers inside North Korea have no idea the rest of the world is not really taking them seriously..they just get the rhetoric from state TV telling them he is standing up to the evil USA etc.

the joint exercises will end and he can tell his people he faced them down and they went home

Associate
just another emtpy threat

they have been making these statements for ages now but have nothing to back it up. It just looks like he is trying to appear powerful to his people..a new ruler trying to go up against the rest of the world, without actually doing anything. The poor buggers inside North Korea have no idea the rest of the world is not really taking them seriously..they just get the rhetoric from state TV telling them he is standing up to the evil USA etc.

the joint exercises will end and he can tell his people he faced them down and they went home

It must be infuriating for Kim-Jong Un however how little reaction his bat-**** crazy rhetoric now gets. Can you imagine such an international level of ambivalence if any other nuclear nation threatened thermo-nuclear war. Someone needs to send him a copy of the boy who cried wolf.

Soldato
It must be infuriating for Kim-Jong Un however how little reaction his bat-**** crazy rhetoric now gets. Can you imagine such an international level of ambivalence if any other nuclear nation threatened thermo-nuclear war. Someone needs to send him a copy of the boy who cried wolf.

I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't care about how the world sees him though. I mean, even threatening to launch a nuclear attack is enough to get you pulled into The Hague because it's against international law.

This is just a guess, because we can never really know what's going on internally, but if he's going to such incredible lengths to try and ratchet up the tension, it seems pretty clear to me that his regime must be quite close to total collapse. The only way to shore up support is to try to seem bigger than his father, yet it seems he might not be as good at playing this game as his father was.

Soldato
Word words words.

He's backing himself into a corner here - at some point he either needs to deliver on his threats (at which point NK will be decimated) or he's going to look one hell of a muppet when the realisation comes that he's all mouth and no trousers.

Associate
America sold the North Koreans the nuclear facilitates to begin with?

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld served on the board of a Swiss company that in 2000 sold light water nuclear reactors to the government of North Korea, which critics?including Pentagon hardliners?say could be used to produce nuclear weapons.

Rumsfeld?s involvement in the $200 million deal with the Zurich-based engineering company ABB is seen as an embarrassment to the Bush administration, which vehemently opposed the deal during the 2000 presidential campaign, reports the London-based Guardian. ?One could draw the conclusion that economic and personal interests took precedent over non-proliferation,? said Steve LaMontagne of the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation.
Rumsfeld sat on the ABB board from 1990 to 2001, earning $190,000 a year. He left to join the Bush administration. Asked about the reactor deal, the defense secretary told the Guardian that he ?did not recall it being brought before the board at any time.?

http://www.utne.com/2003-05-01/Rums...eaponEquipmenttoNorthKorea.aspx#ixzz2PsV6ZOsF

Back
Top Bottom