Windows 8 Adoption Poor

Soldato
If you had a small company I see your point. But when we are talking thousands all major IT changes have to have a training option. Or the user will say I can't do my job. There is a massive difference between win7 out the box and win8 out the box and the steps needed before you can hand over the PC to the user. As I mentioned disabling loads of stuff like mouse gestures is a massive pain. All comes back to my point. I welcome the change. And choice

Fair enough, although I do think in corporate IT environment the out of the box experience doesn't tend to be a big deal as most enterprise IT heavily customise and restrict builds with group policy, app locker etc anyway and that's a "do it once before the end users even see it" exercise generally.

I strongly believe Windows 8 slow take up in Enterprise customers is less to do with Windows 8 and more to do with companies having only just finished/still in the process of moving from XP to 7 and are in no position to start an company wide OS update again. Companies tend to skip an OS generation and the pattern of late has been NT4 > XP >W7 >W9(or whatever).

There's a lot of good stuff in W8 and it certainly enables the move in corporate IT to equip staff either solely or as companion devices with touch enabled slates. If I'd just finished upgrading 40k users to W7 from XP would I propose a move to W8 across the board now, absolutely not. I would get it knocked into shape for particular scenarios like touch devices etc. however to be used tactically.

Last edited:
Soldato
another thing which slows down new OS uptake is that most of it is shipped on new pcs.

but there is less need to upgrade because hardware released 6-7 years ago is still more than ample for the vast majority of office workers. minimum system requirements hit their peak when vista came out and it seems to be going the other way now. :p

Associate
I found a better way of stopping Windows 8 from degrading desktop wallpapers to low quality JPG. If you convert the wallpaper to a PNG file and right click on it in File Explorer and 'Set as desktop background' then it seems to retain its original quality as opposed to ANY other method, such as applying it in browser or image viewer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found a better way of stopping Windows 8 from converting desktop wallpapers to low quality JPG. If you convert the wallpaper to a PNG file and right click on it in File Explorer and 'Set as desktop background' then it seems to retain its original quality as opposed to ANY other method, such as applying it in browser or image viewer.

I told you that :confused:

Soldato
Fair enough, although I do think in corporate IT environment the out of the box experience doesn't tend to be a big deal as most enterprise IT heavily customise and restrict builds with group policy, app locker etc anyway and that's a "do it once before the end users even see it" exercise generally.

I strongly believe Windows 8 slow take up in Enterprise customers is less to do with Windows 8 and more to do with companies having only just finished/still in the process of moving from XP to 7 and are in no position to start an company wide OS update again. Companies tend to skip an OS generation and the pattern of late has been NT4 > XP >W7 >W9(or whatever).

There's a lot of good stuff in W8 and it certainly enables the move in corporate IT to equip staff either solely or as companion devices with touch enabled slates. If I'd just finished upgrading 40k users to W7 from XP would I propose a move to W8 across the board now, absolutely not. I would get it knocked into shape for particular scenarios like touch devices etc. however to be used tactically.

Yeah you are correct my old company is still on xp nation wide. The slow uptake of win8 is a combo of the two. I do feel this move by ms will aid them gain more ground in the corp world

Caporegime
Minstadave u should look at yourself mate before calling someone a drama queen and a fanboy..

I'm not sure how not liking Win 8 makes me a fanboy, I'm not massively pro Windows 7, or I wouldn't have tried upgrading. I've worked along every version without major hitches until now.

I really found using Win 8 a frustrating experience though, and was vocal about it. I'll give you that.

Caporegime
I'm a drama queen? a fanboy? LoL! is anyone else laughing at this? oh dear.

You know, I'm quite honoured in the fact from the past 14 - 15 years it's the first time anyone has ever called me a fanboy.

I honestly have no idea why you bother to post then. If you're not one of the "Win 8 is the future" dream team, what is your point? Or do you just like posting about me?

Thug
Soldato
I think the main problem with Windows 8 is that it simply is not needed.

I've had it on a laptop for a few months now, and it's just a pointless OS. Windows 7 was superbly fast, intuitive (building up on Microsofts proven platform and interface) and was fine.

Windows 8 is just a mishmash of various bits and bobs. I'm sure it's okay for a touch screen device, but for a laptop it's just a PITA. Shame my laptop came with windows 8 installed to be honest. :(

Soldato
I think the main problem with Windows 8 is that it simply is not needed.

I've had it on a laptop for a few months now, and it's just a pointless OS. Windows 7 was superbly fast, intuitive (building up on Microsofts proven platform and interface) and was fine.

Windows 8 is just a mishmash of various bits and bobs. I'm sure it's okay for a touch screen device, but for a laptop it's just a PITA. Shame my laptop came with windows 8 installed to be honest. :(

Try start8 found on Google. Disable all the kiddy bits and stuff for tablets and get the start button back

Soldato
Aaaah the roll eyes of disapproval, it feels good :D What do you think discussion forums are for?

Discussing things - as opposed to your blinkered view that only has the opinion that Windows 8 is the worst thing since the Poll Tax (or insert other suitable reference here) and just doesn't work at all, even though it's built on Windows 7 with one visual difference (that you don't like).

As an operating system, it works just as well as Windows 7, and some might say better. If it wasn't as good as Windows 7, I certainly wouldn't have continued to use it.

Back
Top Bottom