Rooney asks to leave, Utd say not for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Yes, but Rooney is always touted as being the star player. Given his reputation and what he is paid he should be the one coming up with some individual brilliance to win matches, not playing average just because the rest of the team aren't doing anything..

And Ronaldo constantly had that levelled at him, Messi too. You wouldn't want those players either? Henry apparently only scored against **** teams.

Yeah you are right, I'd much rather have Fellaini who played out of his skin against Manu and died on the pitch against Wigan. :p

Soldato
Rooney imo is played out of position. He wants to be a lone striker type job or sitting just behind, but he moves all over the place. Over rated imo.

Soldato
And Ronaldo constantly had that levelled at him, Messi too. You wouldn't want those players either? Henry apparently only scored against **** teams.

Yeah you are right, I'd much rather have Fellaini who played out of his skin against Manu and died on the pitch against Wigan. :p

You are implying that right now Rooney is as good as Messi or Ronaldo? :p

I'm not sure where you managed to pull Fellaini into this discussion seeing as he's not in any way comparable to Rooney. Completely different type of player, price range, european/international experience etc.

Associate
He should leave, I don't know what the hell has happened to him ever since he burst onto the scene as a wonderkid.

I still remember that goal he scored against Arsenal and the whole "Remember the name, Wayne Rooney" and then the hat-trick he scored against Fenerbahce in which I think was his first official game for United.

He's gone from being potentially one of the greatest to ever play the game to another run of the mill types we see everywhere. He's still good, but compared to what he could have been.. Wasted talent.

You just have to look at what C.Ronaldo has done since 04 and compare that to of Rooney.

Man of Honour
You are implying that right now Rooney is as good as Messi or Ronaldo? :p

I'm not sure where you managed to pull Fellaini into this discussion seeing as he's not in any way comparable to Rooney. Completely different type of player, price range, european/international experience etc.

No, he's implying that lots of good players have the same accusation levelled at them which is that they don't score or play well against the best teams. Part of the reason why even very good players tend to look a bit less special against the best teams is that, simply, the best teams don't usually allow the same freedom to the teams they are playing against.

Maybe Rooney hasn't lived up to all his potential but he's still done pretty damn well.

Associate
Time for another pay raise? ;)
people are going to call him a **** if this transfer request is true, but I think he may have very good reason to want to go. I'll just copy what I posted in the other thread:

if Moyes is the new manager it could be in the clubs interest to let Rooney go. They don't merely dislike each other, they went to court over libel. What sane employer is going to try and force an employee to work for a boss that sued the employee previously?

I don't like Rooney much but this time I don't think he's just being a **** to get more money. I don't think he would be irreplaceable either.

Soldato
Maybe Rooney hasn't lived up to all his potential but he's still done pretty damn well.

I would argue that Rooney clearly hasn't lived up to the potential/hype when he 1st burst onto the scene. If you were a defender would you be more scared of a 17/18yr old Rooney or a 28 yr old Rooney?

If I were Man u I would cash in on him and buy someone younger, hungrier, better and who isnt going to have massive issues with your new manager. Of course, that makes them much stronger imo, which is a bad thing!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I would argue that Rooney clearly hasn't lived up to the potential/hype when he 1st burst onto the scene. If you were a defender would you be more scared of a 17/18yr old Rooney or a 28 yr old Rooney?

If I were Man u I would cash in on him and buy someone younger, hungrier, better and who isnt going to have massive issues with your new manager. Of course, that makes them much stronger imo, which is a bad thing!

I think quite a lot of us would be sad to see him leave but not that bothered as long as we got a decent fee and replaced him properly.

Man of Honour
Seems to be all coming from "sources" so far. No real truth anywhere, unless you take United releasing a Rooney is not for sale statement as confirmation

Caporegime
The sources all seem to agree that this wasn't something that has happened in the last day since Fergie has announced he's leaving, its a couple weeks ago. If Bayern buy him, I'd laugh my head off, he's probably better than Gomez, because Gomez is a tap in artist who isn't particularly good at football, but Rooney isn't anywhere near the quality of anyone else in that attack.

Utd can live without him, easily, I've said time and time again, he could be a pretty decent striker, the SINGLE season he stayed up top and played in the(current) RVP role he scored more and looked much much better, he has also looked good playing consistently on the left side for a prolonged period, as a striker who insists on dropping deep, wanting to be a playmaker and run down everyone for no reason, he's meh.

There are MUCH better midfielders, and better out and out strikers, and better deep strikers whose passing/playmaking/vision/consistency is better. Rooney is one type of player, but he desparately wants to be another, better player, and constantly tries to be that player, and constantly fails to be good enough. Gomez is a tap in artist and pretty poor actual footballer, and he's successful because he focuses soley on the part of his game that works, if he kept dropping deep like Rooney did, he'd be out of Bayern very very quickly and he'd suck at other clubs. Rooney needs to focus on the parts of his games that work, but for me he wants to be essentially, Messi, he wants to run every game, he wants to be involved in everything, he wants to be the guy people talk about as best player in the league, he just isn't that player.

He was crap in central midfield, just because the opposition in the games he played there was a complete joke doesn't distract from his poor performance against non existant midfields in those games.

Utd can and always have been able to do better, I haven't got a clue why they threw over 200k a week at him when he last wanted to leave. He's been unprofessional, on and off the pitch, he has had several multiple month long periods where he hasn't been available because he couldn't be arsed getting fit, and after scaring his club into one big contract, only a couple years later is again seemingly demanding a move.

He's only got 2 years left on his contract, you'll never get more for him now, he'll never become a significantly better player, he'll never be good enough for midfield. Let him go make his millions at PSG, and take their money while its on offer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd rather not lose him, he scores important goals for us and has great passing ability/work rate that many strikers don't. Recently though he hasn't been as good as he was.

I guess he's in a difficult position now Moyes is coming in, and I also know we wouldn't sell him to Chelsea unless they were prepared to pay a stupid fee, it would be PSG or somewhere like that.

We could actually replace him with a better player or two, not sure who though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom