• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****NVIDIA GTX 780 IS HERE & IN STOCK - GET ONE TODAY!!**

Associate
Lol this is embarrassing. So it's not nvidias fault that they overcharged for first the Titan and now the GTX 780 ? it's that bad bad amd's fault :rolleyes:

tumblr_m8cvc4jUEG1qd14xy.gif

Soldato
Then don't get upset when people are very rightfully critical of Nvidia, its that attempt at the stamping out of criticism that give Nvidia the green light to go on fleecing you.

AMD's CPU are terrible, it needs to be said.
AMD once had bad GPU drivers, it needed to be said.

Nvidia are rip-off merchants, it needs to be said.

No - firstly you clearly still don't understand the role of the market in determining whether these prices are acceptable and secondly you should probably go and look up the definition of upset because my logical, rational posting on the subject is as far from upset as you can possibly get.

I tend to look on people more positively and respectfully and not summarise - like you - that anyone who buys either a 780 or Titan is being "fleeced" or "ripped off". Generally speaking people spend their money on a graphics card they want... nobody forces them to get one. I shouldn't be surprised at these kind of emotional fallacies but I am a little...

Last edited:
Soldato
OcUK had the Asus on day one for £559.99 on your link (which I pointed out) and my link which was the closest I could get in the web archive has the Asus at £559.99 but you tell me it is no good showing 10 day old gouged pricing after release :confused:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus GeForce GTX 780 PCI-Express 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £599.99
Total : £611.39 (includes shipping : £9.50).

It seems that a few people want to bury their heads in the sand because they don't like what they are seeing. £40 more is negligible and 16 months or so after the 7970 launched, I would happily pay an extra £40 for more performance.

Asus are a great name in computers and their products speak quality. I am only comparing like for like.

Asus7970.jpg

780pricing.jpg

Are you seriously going to list the price of a heavily price gouged 7970 vs a slightly price gouged GTX780?

UK release MSRP price of HD 7970 - £420
UK release MSRP price of GTX780 - £550

The fact that there is price gouging going in does not change the actual MSRP of both products. Both were available to purchase for their MSRP on day 1 here in the UK and in the US. I know for a fact the HD7970 was available at £420 excluding delivery, because I bought one on release day. If someone thinks GTX780 prices are fair then that is their opinion and they are entitled to it. Just don't try to rewrite history by claiming HD 7970 was almost the same price, because that is just BS, period.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you seriously going to list the price of a heavily price gouged 7970 vs a slightly price gouged GTX780?

UK release MSRP price of HD 7970 - £420
UK release MSRP price of GTX780 - £550

The fact that there is price gouging going in does not change the actual MSRP of both products. Both were available to purchase for their MSRP on day 1 here in the UK and in the US. I know for a fact the HD7970 was available at £420 excluding delivery, because I bought one on release day.

It seems some people will stoop to any lengths to prove an opinion as fact. :rolleyes:

It's been said before, he doesn't seem to be listening.

Funnily enough, it was only the other day that he was telling someone off for using GBP prices for referencing, when it's USD prices we should all be looking at.

Soldato
Iirc i paid £479.99 for my 7970 on launch, from our local OCUK :D
I'm one of those terrible people that wont shop around though and only tend to buy from one shop unless forced to by elsewhere (no stock etc)

Soldato
Ridiculous pricing from Nvidia again this time, who started it off in recent times with their ridiculously priced gtx580 3gb
Oh, and I paid £416 for my 7970 on release day - not from here though.

Caporegime
It's been said before, he doesn't seem to be listening.

Funnily enough, it was only the other day that he was telling someone off for using GBP prices for referencing, when it's USD prices we should all be looking at.

Fair point about $ and £ for reference. I should have gone the $ route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

As you can see, the 780 is $649
As you can see, the 7970 was $549

$100 difference isn't the massive drama that a few are making it out to be and if they charge too much, they will not sell. I don't see why the continual whinging from the same people.

Soldato
People like value for money even if they can afford to waste the money. They have every right to voice there opinions if they feel nvidia are taking the proverbial. When amd charged $549 there was the same complaints. Nvidia have gone way past amd and there own pricing with there last 2 single gpu releases so its pretty much gonna upset a lot of people. You are basically getting less of a performance jump @ inflated prices. I don't get why you think people should not be upset.

Associate
Have you still got your Titan?

Yes i do have a Titan but i'm not here trying to justify the cost of it and blaming Amd.

If people have an issue with nvidias pricing they are entitled to their opinion. It's not whinging Greg as i hear you and others put it.

Oh and btw Rusty we get how the free market works......again :p . You don't have to be a Thatcherite to understand it ;)

Soldato
The people moaning about the price, wait until something comes out in your price range...just don't complain if it's not a big enough upgrade :D
If these cards are priced too high for the market they're aimed at the prices will be slashed, if AMD were to release a card that kills the Titan and prices it below the 780...guess what! The prices will be slashed. Fat chance of either happening though

Soldato
Fair point about $ and £ for reference. I should have gone the $ route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

As you can see, the 7970 was $549

$100 difference isn't the massive drama that a few are making it out to be and if they charge too much, they will not sell. I don't see why the continual whinging from the same people.

I agree, $100 isn't a huge difference, but it does highlight that in your example image the prices were being gouged quite heavily on the 7970 compared to the 780.

I think for the most part, the prices for both the 7970 and 780 upon release were/are ridiculous though.

The main issue stems from the fact that AMD drop prices quite a bit to remain competitive, whereas nVidia don't.

So whilst near enough all release day prices are bad, nVidia's tend not to drop so much.

It doesn't help that this release is a bit of a mess either, especially for those who bought Titans, I can imagine some people getting seriously butthurt (and rightfully so) at nVidia with this move.

On top of that, rebranding the 770 as well, which is particularly bad when you take in to consideration the inflated price of the 780.

Where does that leave nVidia when it comes to pricing the 770? It's going to look a mess either way. The sensible thing to do would be to undercut the current 680 prices, but that'd leave a large gap in pricing between the 770 and 780, which makes me think that they'd be tempted to increase the price so that it's not such a large gap between the 770 and 780.

Then there's the performance gulf between the 770 and 780, due to the 384bit bus and 3GB RAM, there's going to be situations where the 780 stops the crap out of the 770 in high resolution, plus the 780 will have a much much longer life span due to having more RAM and a greater memory bus.

It's just a mess of a situation really, and for me shows that they didn't really have any sort of firm plan in mind.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they've done it as a reaction hearing something about AMD releasing something soon, with the inevitable amount of corporate espionage that goes on.

Soldato
Gregster said:
Yeah this is what baffles me, in the USA the non reference EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked Graphics Card with ACX Cooler - 3GB is only $659 RRP.

So how come here in the UK everywhere is selling it for around £80 more?

Caporegime
People like value for money even if they can afford to waste the money. They have every right to voice there opinions if they feel nvidia are taking the proverbial. When amd charged $549 there was the same complaints. Nvidia have gone way past amd and there own pricing with there last 2 single gpu releases so its pretty much gonna upset a lot of people

Please stop painting everyone the same. I like value for money but does that mean I have to shop at Poundland? or go a little further and the 99p shop will save me a penny on every item.

If it upsets you and a lot of other people, please go tell Nvidia.

https://forums.geforce.com/

It is no good whinging and saying how upset you are and then do nothing about it.

Back
Top Bottom