Compressing blu ray mkvs.. Server (n40l) or pc for efficiency

Caporegime
Finally need to get round to compressing my blu ray collection

Last time I attempted this was years a go and it was not really worth the effort with variable results

So I have two options

Let my more powerful desktop do it..
Faster
Extra device in use

Let the server do it
No extra device in use
Much longer time
May impact other server functions

What would be the advised option?

Soldato
Depends on how quickly you want it done...

Why not set one going on the server, and set one going whenever you have your desktop on, too - and get the best of both worlds :)

Caporegime
OP
What other functions is the server doing and is it actively doing them 24 hours a day? If not then I'd say get it doing the conversions in it's downtime.

TBH, not much, sometimes I turn it off at night, sometimes I forget!

It's main use is as a data store and to stream media to all devices and my phone.
In other words it's only actually working when delivering blu ray/music or backing up a client

Caporegime
OP
Use handbreak overnight and set up a queue, run it before you go to bed when the server isnt being used

Its what I did on my server (custom built e4200)

Handbrake is what I used to use. It was a bit tricky then, and I had excess space so just gave up! Now I'm running low. Mkvs are 20gb +

Additional
I guess using the desktop isn't really a good option thinking about it As I probably won't be able to do much else with it
But then the cpu in the server seems very low in benches (lower than I thought tbh)
This would also be likely reason I don't get smooth playback watching a plex transcoded film (transcoded live)
Looks like it will take over a night per film!

EDT
is it at all worth considering a new low power idle system?

Last edited:
Soldato
The N40L can't transcode a full 1080p video file on the fly with Plex smoothly. It just hasn't got enough grunt :( You'll find it buffers every couple of minutes or less. I do suspect the N54L might be better but no ones confirmed if the extra CPU speed really makes that much difference to CPU intensive tasks.

Back
Top Bottom