Hardcore rave

Soldato
Are there any clubs that exist still that play proper hardcore rave? Stuff from the 90s sort of era?

After watching the following video of Hanger 13 it has inspired me and am now listening to all my 90s stuff (currently Bonkers 3 Sharkey CD)

I bet you cannot watch this video (if you like proper dance music) without smiling at the sheer mix of people and energy of the whole room. Outfits range from waistcoats and golf gear to dungarees and topless :D

I always preferred the 'darker' more hardcore sounds of Sharkey, Billy Bunter, M Zone etc. Unfortunately was a bit young at the time (16 in 2000) but did some fantastic gatecrasher nights, Goodgreef then some Vibealite, Sundissential, raver baby and onto Hardstyle, Gabba, Psy Trance and everything in-between. There was a fantastic night in Leeds at West Indian Centre in Chapel town. I went religiously to 'Riff Raff' for the last 2 years before the club closed. Again, awesome nights the most random mix of people ever who went purely for the music and to have a good time.

Long live the rave

Soldato
OP
Soldato
there's one in kidderminster every friday though i don't advise you go.

1992-1994 was a great year for this music. grab a slipmatt, dougal, ramos or sy set from that era for some happy times.

Permabanned
It's interesting to think most people in that video will now be around 40, I wonder what they're doing with themselves these days.

Ecstasy, not even once.

Associate
The breakbeat hardcore movement is picking up pace again in the UK and there are quite a few '95-'99 nights popping up, as well as the traditional old skool rooms (early 90's) which usually appear at most UK Hardcore events.

If you're listening to Bonkers 3 then you're bang in the middle of the '95-'99 era. Fantazia recently ran a "Superheroes" branded event which had a '95-'99 room and another event called Bust An Old Jam was on a couple of weeks ago, solely dedicated to '95-'99 era hardcore.

Worth following the Breakbeat Hardcore Collective on Facebook maybe, they tend to post up event information for these kind of things. DJ Demo recently returned to the scene and he's usually playing at most of these events, as well as DJ Bananaman. They both post a bunch of event related stuff on their Facebook pages too.

Caporegime
http://www.theroadmender.com/index.php/whats-on/430-dreamscape-vs-htid-summer-gathering.html
you could always goto that on the 24th of august ;) the dreamscape area will probably be all dnb going from the dj list but "hardcore till I die" is obviously what it says on the tin
looks like all the big name dj's from the 90s are going

heres dougals set from last year
theres no point going to a club unless its a live set with an mc

btw mc spider and mc bassman used to visit some rave promoter who lived on my street in notts.
I think they only ever MC'ed to jungle though but still small world :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Associate
I thought id love and never get tired of Hardcore... But damn, i lost interest in it around 2003, it was just starting to sound like sped up trance :/ it needed a kick up its ass to progress but it didnt seem to happen, in the 90s it went from breakbeat, to 4 beat, to 4beat with the cheesey vocals, tranceier stuff started to come in in 98/99, scene kinda died in 00/01, then it came back and all was good.
No idea what its like now as iv not listened to any new stuff since 05ish

My non Prodigy pride and joy...
2s80ieb.jpg

:D

Associate
Yes DJ Bananaman! I have quite a lot of stuff from Slipmatt, Ramos and Dougal

This event looks perfect, exactly the thing I was looking for... except I will be at leeds festival that weekend.

http://www.theroadmender.com/index.php/whats-on/430-dreamscape-vs-htid-summer-gathering.html

I there an online archive of live mixes? I did find one not too long ago but cant remember it. (all legal, as far as i am aware live sets can be downloaded freely)

Isn't really an archive, quite a few youtube users are posting up old tape rips though.

This user has a vast collection with Mediafire mp3 links to download them all in comments: http://www.youtube.com/user/hardcoretapepacks

Another user posting tape rips but no download links: http://www.youtube.com/user/OldSkoolravevids

There are also plenty of compilation CD's around that are cheap to buy second hand as well.

I'm still personally looking for a tape from a Future Dance event, it was a double sided DJ Vibes tape and it was tape number 5 and 6 in the set. It was an incredibly cheesy set, but it was great none the less, love a bit of cheddar.

Soldato
OP
Not one archive but there are many of sites with hundreds of direct links to live sets - The one I found I think was Hard House

Very nice collection evanswolves82

I think New years may have to spent in Birmingham this year :) (Ive got the Vinylgroover set on from above youtube link at the moment)

Back
Top Bottom