Oven broken and landlord bought cheapest one

Caporegime
Other question I have is if ovens always take a while to go off before after you turn them off? I don't remember that happening previously, this oven and the one before they stay on for 5-10 mins after turning it off, you can hear the fan going. Is that normal?
some ovens the fan stays on to cool the oven down I'd assume that is what is happening here.

even my uber expensive panasonic combination microwave oven does it

Is it also normal for the oven to stink the whole house out when you first turn it on as its burning off all the factory smell?
elements usually have a coating on them which is apparently to keep the element safe in storage, maybe they can rust or something?
the insutrctions usually say to put te grill /oven on at XXX temperature for 5minutes to burn the coating off

Soldato
in my experience, and based on the fact I used to work for a company selling VERY expensive kitchens (£45k on one customers) for 11 years don't think the most expensive ones are the best

German (bosch, miele) are extremely reliable

Neff used to be good twn years ago, but now are pretty much rated the worst

Cheap unheard of brands, usually VERY good

We had a £900 neff fridge/frezer. It was absolute rubbish. Threw it away in the end and out of spite I bought a £200 daewoo. You know what, it's the best fridge I've ever had. Huge inside, quiet running, FREEZING cold inside. Brilliant :)

Mrs parents have something like what you have said, Indian brand nobody has heard of. Ten years on and it's still going strong :D

Permabanned
OP
No he didn't accept my money in the end, just went out and bought the worst one he could find. Wasn't sure if that was clear. Which is why i made the thread, well one of the reason. I just thought it was silly not to take the money and buy a better one.

Man of Honour
If he starts taking money off your for it then it opens him up to things like well I want my £80 back when you move out, or I'm taking £80 off the rent this month and other such rubbish.

Soldato
My old landlord did pretty much the same, tbh. Our oven packed in, took her over a month to "get the time" to go buy a new one. I went along as I had a DSG discount at the time -- figured she might get a decent amount off a decent oven.

Nope... straight in the door, straight over to find the cheapest oven and that was it. No looking at specs, no testing -- just "that's the cheapest, I'll have that."

Soldato
One of the massive pros of renting is if anything goes wrong the landlord fixes it at their own expense, why on earth would you offer him money for something that's down to him to sort out?

Landlords will always buy cheap, It's more likely to break due to misuse of the tenants rather than manufacturer problems I'd say.

Associate
Same happened with fridge we have - we used have nice one inbuild to units with 4 shelves (4 people) it died now we have on with salad box and ice box but only 2 shelf, smaller not in-built so massive gaps everywhere. :mad:

It should be like for like replacement as you have leave place in same nick you got the place.
You pay the amount you pay rent something half decent only for them cheap out.

Soldato
Same happened with fridge we have - we used have nice one inbuild to units with 4 shelves (4 people) it died now we have on with salad box and ice box but only 2 shelf, smaller not in-built so massive gaps everywhere. :mad:

Just get another one off eBay if its such a problem.

Soldato
I have a top end Bosch fan assisted oven, with an inbuilt gas hob with a mega wok burner, both are superb. The oven is brilliant at cooking thanks to some "3D heat technology" which apparently keeps the temperature constant throughout the oven.

i don't see the problem. those ovens are fine and are fairly standard in new modern tall apartment flat things that are being built every where. they are easy to clean and heat and cook food.

using the ebay link as an example of how cheap they are is stupid, it's not £1 used, it's a starting bid of £1, which could go up. it's also a second hand item that needs to be removed, they go for cheap. i picked up 2 sofa's for £21 recently. i cleaned them and sold for £50. things go for cheap second hand when someone needs them gone quick.

Permabanned
OP
Why not just have the new cooker taken out and stored and buy your own of your choosing. When you leave take it with you, putting the cheap one back.

What i considered doing is selling the oven for £150 and buying a new one for just over £200 or just a normal oven that is not the cheapest annoying one. But I also want to move at some point and that sounds like a lot of hassle. But ill see how i get on with this annoying one and if it annoys me enough i might do it.

Soldato
Be careful of that. Kinda theft.

Bit strange the landlord wouldnt take the extra to buy a better oven though. would have thought hed jump at the chance especially for when it comes to reletting.

Back
Top Bottom