Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just a quick mention of them Garmin mounts a few of us ordered the other day, mine didnt show up after 1.5weeks so i emailed the seller and he got one out next day, great customer service, the mount is perfect to, the Garmin sits in it tightly so no chance of it jumping out and its so much easier to use whilst in the drops compared to the stem mount.

These are the ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONTRAST-...ds_Activity_Monitoring_MJ&hash=item3a8346e282 highly recommended.

Underboss
Just a quick mention of them Garmin mounts a few of us ordered the other day, mine didnt show up after 1.5weeks so i emailed the seller and he got one out next day, great customer service, the mount is perfect to, the Garmin sits in it tightly so no chance of it jumping out and its so much easier to use whilst in the drops compared to the stem mount.

These are the ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONTRAST-...ds_Activity_Monitoring_MJ&hash=item3a8346e282 highly recommended.

lot cheaper than the official ones over at Evans
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/garmin/out-front-handlebar-mount-for-garmin-edge-ec043514

Soldato
really? that's cool

I personally wouldn't buy second hand cranks and derailleurs, gears etc,
don't this eventually wear out?

Cranks have no moving parts to wear out and chainrings are a consumable, front mechs are a bargain second hand. Rear mechs should last for ever (there are plenty of 60's and 70's Campag mechs on ebay) and if anything needs doing it's generally just jockey wheels.

Shifters are worth looking at second hand. Can be a costly error if anything goes wrong, but they cost a bomb new so it's generally worth the slight risk. SRAM and Campag are fully serviceable so if anything brakes it's a small part replacement. Shimano tend not to be serviceable.

Soldato
but genuinely building it on your own will cost more of course it is a lot more fun building your own thing but its up to you.. as always I will recommend one of these -; http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/c...hs-warranty-12-months-free-service/1025334997

cheap, heavy but a perfect winter stead.. I think one other member owns one of these "temans" and its a strong, simple bike and tbh it'll do the job as a winter commuter, actually my brother rode it thorough the winter and nothing went wrong bar consumables.. pads, tyres etc.

I was thinking about getting a cheap fixie and those look like they might be half decent for the money. Can you actually pop in and see them, do they have anything resembling a shop? As the address they have is not really that far from me.

Soldato
really? that's cool

I personally wouldn't buy second hand cranks and derailleurs, gears etc,
don't this eventually wear out?

The only things i'll never buy second hand parts wise are cassettes and chains. Chainrings, derailleurs etc are generally pretty obvious when they're shot.

Soldato
I was thinking about getting a cheap fixie and those look like they might be half decent for the money. Can you actually pop in and see them, do they have anything resembling a shop? As the address they have is not really that far from me.

there's one shop in hackney they sell the same bikes for 180ish, and yeah from what I know the guys I linked to have a shop.

the one in hackney tho is always full of people(well the 2 times I've been there) the Chinese guy can speak little to no English but you can look at the bikes, different setups and so on.. the inside of the shop is a MESS

basically like a warehouse full of boxes with bike parts and in a way you just choose the colours you want and he builds it up there and then.. lol :eek::D

Soldato
I suppose to be expected that a shop would be busy when starting to venture into hipster territory.

I like the turquoise looking one if they can do it with drop bars. I just want something that doesn't cost much, as while I have my road bike insured, I still don't leave it outside anywhere due worry about parts being nicked.

Soldato

Mine arrived very quickly but haven't done anything with it yet. Hopefully have time to fit it tonight.

Last night I removed a couple of spacers from my stem. Quite happy with the new position on a short ride, will wait to see what happens on a longer ride.

Soldato
I suppose to be expected that a shop would be busy when starting to venture into hipster territory.

I like the turquoise looking one if they can do it with drop bars. I just want something that doesn't cost much, as while I have my road bike insured, I still don't leave it outside anywhere due worry about parts being nicked.

the way it works is you pick a frame, wheel set, colours also you're allowed to pick w/e bars you wants.. they do have bulls, flat and drops :) plus a few different types of brake levers.. - that is the shop in hackney

Underboss
[DOD]Asprilla;24804355 said:
Cranks have no moving parts to wear out and chainrings are a consumable, front mechs are a bargain second hand. Rear mechs should last for ever (there are plenty of 60's and 70's Campag mechs on ebay) and if anything needs doing it's generally just jockey wheels.

Shifters are worth looking at second hand. Can be a costly error if anything goes wrong, but they cost a bomb new so it's generally worth the slight risk. SRAM and Campag are fully serviceable so if anything brakes it's a small part replacement. Shimano tend not to be serviceable.

thanks for the info :)

Soldato

Sounds like had he worn a helmet, it would have taken the brunt of the blow, thus he may not be in a coma now. Yes the headline is a bit insensitive by adding the bit about hair to the end of it, but I suppose it gets the point across. The majority of the time, a helmet might not be necessary, but on the occasion it might save your life, it makes more sense to have been wearing one.

Associate
really? the chances are if you are knocked off and hit the road hard enough to put you in a coma a bit of polystyrene is going to help all that much, i'm not saying that people should stop wearing helmets (i wear one) i just think this article is just dumb, its looking at the wrong thing, the fact a van driver knocked him off should be a far bigger focus than wether or not he had a helmet on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom