England's young people near bottom of global league table for basic skills

Capodecina
Soldato
This country sucks. We need less cosmopolitanism and more national pride and people would get off their arses, learn and work to have respect for their nation. But it's hard when your nation doesn't feel like your own.

But no, apathetic layabouts who want to do nothing but get into art school or watch Jeremy Kyle. This country disgusts me at the moment. It will be worse if Labour get in again.

Soldato
This country sucks. We need less cosmopolitanism and more national pride and people would get off their arses, learn and work to have respect for their nation. But it's hard when your nation doesn't feel like your own.

But no, apathetic layabouts who want to do nothing but get into art school or watch Jeremy Kyle. This country disgusts me at the moment. It will be worse if Labour get in again.

How does national pride increase literacy and numeracy rates ?

Capodecina
Soldato
How does national pride increase literacy and numeracy rates ?

People would care at school more if they loved their country, because they would be willing to contribute to it when they got out. But as a kid, you look around you and all you see is X Factor, twerking, pink iPads, smart phones, Candy Crush etc etc. There's nothing to be proud of here. Just more and more elaborate ways of wasting time.

Soldato
People would care at school more if they loved their country, because they would be willing to contribute to it when they got out. But as a kid, you look around you and all you see is X Factor, twerking, pink iPads, smart phones, Candy Crush etc etc. There's nothing to be proud of here. Just more and more elaborate ways of wasting time.

We have 2 national organisations who have followers who have great pride in our country - EDL and BNP. Looking at their members I don't think national pride adds any intelligence :rolleyes:

Capodecina
Soldato
We have 2 national organisations who have followers who have great pride in our country - EDL and BNP. Looking at their members I don't think national pride adds any intelligence :rolleyes:

You see, that's the problem. People associate national pride with racism here. It's not the same thing at all. National pride is being patriotic and loving your country, racism is hating people who look different and who are from other countries and cultures.

The two aren't the same thing. That's like saying all Islamists are bombers and all Christians are the Westboro Baptist Church.

Soldato
You see, that's the problem. People associate national pride with racism here. It's not the same thing at all. National pride is being patriotic and loving your country, racism is hating people who look different and who are from other countries and cultures.

I equated their national pride and intelligence. We are told both organisations are not racist in anyway

Soldato
In all honesty, I can sort of understand the levels of apathy in this country, a combination of ****** parenting and the fact they've mostly got no chance of securing a decent job by the time they finish their education because there will be nothing left. Tories will have destroyed all real industry, allowed markets to become monopolized and then outsourced to china.

And even if the industry does remain, labour markets will be so oversaturated and wages will be so low that no normal person will be able to make a living for himself. While the people born into money float ever higher in their economic prosperity and the government claims we're doing better than ever because "the economy says we must be".

I don't condone it but I can see why our younguns don't care, if parents pulled the finger out and actually did some parenting we might have a decent generation in the making. But they're all a bunch of namby pamby "oh kids need space, supernanny said so" type morons, if they even make any effort (which many don't).

And if the government actually did right by it's people instead of clinging to some desperate notion that "free trade" is anything other than a new name for mercantilism while eroding the rights and living standards of the vast majority of their constituency. Then they might have something to work towards, after all, why try at school when all you'll get is some crappy job in a starbucks earning a wage no man can live off of.

When no matter how hard you work, people who do less will have more and you will have less because of it?

Last edited:
Associate
In all honesty, I can sort of understand the levels of apathy in this country, a combination of ****** parenting and the fact they've mostly got no chance of securing a decent job y the time they finish their education.

I don't condone it but I can see why our younguns don't care, if parents pulled the finger out and actually did some parenting we might have a decent generation in the making. But they're all a bunch of namby pamby "oh kids need space, supernanny said so" type morons, if they even make any effort (which many don't).
Couldn't agree more! My dad came to this country from India with £11 couldn't speak english and worked in a laundry for five years. Stereotypically enough he bought a convenience store one he saved. Generated enough income to put both his sons through private school and give us a leg up buy buying half a house each with us two paying the rest of the mortgage since we were 18 so we could learn about money. I got into pharmacy myself with my dad always encouraging us to get into well paid vocational professions.

Meanwhile the dolers on the estate call us pakis and are jealous of my fathers success. All whilst having access to the same resources my dad had.

Soldato
I would like to see the raw numbers instead of a comparison against other countries. I doubt we've dropped that much, but rather other countries are now much better.

Either way, standards need to improve... somehow.

Soldato
Not at all surprised. Not only do we have ****ed up teeth but we're also retarded. In a not too distant future we might all looks like these fine chaps.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/inbred.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

We had that picture in work, on a guide for something. It had some text written underneath it which read something like "There smarter than you!" .... I wish it was written in an ironic way, but it wasn't.

Soldato
Hardly shocking - we have large class sizes with low amounts of teachers. The teachers that are there are not as valued in society as in the higher performing countries. You reap what you sow. And we've sowed a desire to raise everyone to mediocrity - underperform and your school will give you 1 to 1 tuition to raise the bar to something you may never need to achieve - but shine just shine with talent and they'll leave you to get on, by yourself, safe in the knowledge you'll meet the targets that measure success because they are not judged on what you could achieve but how they want to tell the population you have achieved.

Soldato
Couldn't agree more! My dad came to this country from India with £11 couldn't speak english and worked in a laundry for five years. Stereotypically enough he bought a convenience store one he saved. Generated enough income to put both his sons through private school and give us a leg up buy buying half a house each with us two paying the rest of the mortgage since we were 18 so we could learn about money. I got into pharmacy myself with my dad always encouraging us to get into well paid vocational professions.

Meanwhile the dolers on the estate call us pakis and are jealous of my fathers success. All whilst having access to the same resources my dad had.
I don't think anyone has access to the resources their parents did.

Job for life culture? Dead

Ability for the small guys to compete in a given market, feeding entrepreneurship? That's gone

Normal people able to make a fair living on a regular job? Nope, wages have dropped, houses have shot up, mortgages and finance are practically unobtainable

This generation has opportunities, but they are different opportunities, and pretty crap ones.

Gone are the days when being made of steel and working hard got you places, ever since the government stopped caring about fair trading and fair competition regs this country has shot downhill making it impossible for many people to make a fair living.

If your dad came over today he'd never be able to secure funding to start his shop from the bank, probably couldn't even afford to save up for it from the crappy wages. And then the council would probably just stick a tesco metro 3 doors down effectively killing his business plan stone dead.

It's not a case of "you aren't prepared to try and make it work" it's a case of the big guys making it impossible for anyone to have anything or get anywhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom