Where you all at? (overclockers gaming community)

Man of Honour
yeah and iu did a poll later on and ts3 was voted more popular ;) also more use ts3 than mumble but diehards would change from mumble.

only reason mumble is used is its often free with servers or cheaper than ts3. in reality ask most groups on here what they use and its teamspeak :D

5ub was on about getting free multiplay servers but never really happened.

there are admins good enough on here to run them but why run them when we can run our own ? that is why this wont happen unless 5ub and behind the scenes put a real effort into it.

The poll ran and the result was used to choose. The take up would have been similar if it was TS or whatever - the issue is more that people have their own communities already, as you mentioned at the end.

There aren't enough admins on here that are good enough to run a full range of servers. There are some that could run mumble/ts/vent but as you say - why bother when you've already got your own?

The community already provides servers that are privately hosted and administrated. Ocuk does not need to provide any game servers as they already are provided by members of the community.

If we forget the idea of ocuk hosting game servers for a second (that COULD come later or not at all) and concentrate on the 2 biggest things I believe is missing.

Without finding each individual thread its difficult to actually know if there are any ocuk servers or servers provided for ocuk members available.

There are Andybtsn, Werewolf, rjkoneill, Maccy, ThundyCat, Zefan, Davey_Pitch, hilly. 8 moderators for the PC Games sub forum, 8 people who can edit and update forum posts on request?

Sticky and lock it, any servers owners wishing to get there server added to the list need only PM one of the moderators with details.

Hardly a pain in the ass.

Then we just need a ts3/vent/mumble server to congregate and meet fellow ocuk gamers on. I'd prefer to have an official ocuk VOIP server but if ocuk wants no involvement then I can provide one or another member of the community can as they already have with game servers.

Completely ignore the idea of ocuk hosting game servers, I was jumping to far ahead I admit it's a nice idea but as Frenchtart pointed out it would be a resource strain on the team.

TLDR: We need an Official server thread and VOIP server. Job done.

Getting a mod to change the thread content could worth a try. I have my doubts still but..yeah :p

Official VOIP server has already happened and failed though. No harm in trying something again but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Soldato
Some good points being raised here.

There are already many servers for various games hosted by members of the these forums. As for OcUK servers it's a nice idea but I don't see it happening, who will set them up, admin them and maintain them, it's not an easy task, as already mentioned. Also you have to think how these are run and how they would reflect on OcUK as a business. If they are run well then that's a good thing, if they are run badly it reflects badly on OcUK.

I keep the BF4 thread up to date with members servers & TS details. There are servers from CQ247, TFU, Frag Shack, SAS etc. There is also an unofficial TS server provided by 86JR.

A OcUK TeamSpeak server would be a good idea as long as there are some suitable admins for it.

A thread listing servers for all types of games would be a good idea also, as long as the mods are willing to keep it updated regularly.

Man of Honour
I used to use TS2 back in the day. I can't imagine that it's difficult at all to set up.

Looks like up to 512 slots is free as long as I register with the TS site. I'll get something up and running for experimentation this week most likely.

It's hard to imagine moving away from Mumble though.

Soldato
Hosting 512 slots is only possible if you link to a website that has no donation feature on, which is why we paid for a 64 slot server but if you have a webby without a donation box on you should be fine.

Its really hard to get your server updated in OPs for relevant threads, I think its because so much chatter goes on you have to be dedicated to reading the entire thread all the time if you are the OP, so who ever makes these threads really needs to leave other contact details such as steam or something they use often so they can be harassed there to update the post, otherwise as FT says, they last a few months and the OPs abandon looking after them.

I imagine if a mod made the thread with all community / contact / game details on, the RTM function would work well enough, as long as they are ok with the post being reported to be updated.

yeah and iu did a poll later on and ts3 was voted more popular ;) also more use ts3 than mumble but diehards would change from mumble.

only reason mumble is used is its often free with servers or cheaper than ts3. in reality ask most groups on here what they use and its TeamSpeak :D

There is very little difference between Mumble and TeamSpeak. I use both.

When we originally voted, Mumble won so Mumble was chosen. Most people were happy with Mumble, then some people (who shall remain nameless) decided to kick up a fuss and put in a 2nd poll asking for change. Most people who had voted in the first place didn't bother voting a second time and those who had wanted TS from the start voted again along with a few other voters. Even though the result was obviously skewed by these facts, TS only won by a small amount...

Now I'm not sure whether 5UB actually did try to change the server but I'd completely understand if he gave up. Some people are never happy and you can't please everybody, which is why having an OcUK overall community would not work. There is an umbrella Steam Group, there are also many smaller Steam Groups which cater for individual games and usually an "Official" thread, relating to each of these games, even if there is no Steam Group. These threads also usually have VOIP and Game servers listed in them for these games.

An overall sticky thread showing Voip servers and other game servers would be nice, but the First Poster would have to be someone who actively checks their own old threads (like I do: L4D 2 thread ;) and generally Goon with the various BF threads), (not just someone who decides they'll make an "Official" thread and then never touch the OP ever again) and have that said thread looked upon by moderators.

Caporegime
ask most groups on here what they use most will use team speak. mumble is okay but its not as widely used as mumble. those who voted for mumble last time were in the inner circle :p as when i did another post and poll ts3 won and it was never changed. 5ub did say hed change it but never did then server was over.

id suggest a list at top of the pc gaming stickied and saved and people contact mods to update it . like the dayz thread for instance i contacted thread starters before and the thread was never updated. also if a certain person affiliated with the chosen server runs that thread they may not want to update the thread ;)

that is why it should be don by admins alone so no bias.

OcUK Staff
I did have many servers and could get any servers I wanted, but I simply did not have the time, and I couldn't just give them away to people on the forum randomly. It would need to be managed properly.

I don't have the time unfortunately to sort them all out which is why it has never happened fully. It is something I would like, but it would have to be a team of people to run them, due to the range of different games the community likes.

Associate
OP
Thanks 5UB, I can completely understand why we don't have game servers and agree it would be a strain to host them.

Other members of the community provide there own servers and maintain them, So ocuk needn't provide any game servers unless/until there are people trusted enough to maintain them.

However as I'm sure you've seen it would be a nice idea to have a server thread, but also a public official OcUK Teamspeak/Mumble/Vent server for everyone to use.

Personally I prefer TS3 because the UI is nicer everyone has there own preference but they all do the same job.

Man of Honour
ask most groups on here what they use most will use team speak. mumble is okay but its not as widely used as mumble. those who voted for mumble last time were in the inner circle :p as when i did another post and poll ts3 won and it was never changed. 5ub did say hed change it but never did then server was over.

id suggest a list at top of the pc gaming stickied and saved and people contact mods to update it . like the dayz thread for instance i contacted thread starters before and the thread was never updated. also if a certain person affiliated with the chosen server runs that thread they may not want to update the thread ;)

that is why it should be don by admins alone so no bias.

It'd be awesome if you read some of the replies to your last post before you write the same thing again.

Back
Top Bottom