Knife Thread

Soldato
Define good chef's knife. A supermarket 20cm chefs knife can be quite adequate and look presentable and will perform well if regularly sharpened. A catering supplier will provide a very nicely balanced and quite ugly chefs knife for a very lean sum. But if you want a pretty blade with a nice name sky's the limit.

Personally my preferred knife is a supermarket brand 20cm knife the weight and feel of it is good it looks presentable and I keep it sharp. Cost less than £30 but brings no bragging rights.

Soldato
Define good chef's knife. A supermarket 20cm chefs knife can be quite adequate and look presentable and will perform well if regularly sharpened. A catering supplier will provide a very nicely balanced and quite ugly chefs knife for a very lean sum. But if you want a pretty blade with a nice name sky's the limit.

Personally my preferred knife is a supermarket brand 20cm knife the weight and feel of it is good it looks presentable and I keep it sharp. Cost less than £30 but brings no bragging rights.

Agree to a point, I will always keep my ~£15 Victorinox 16cm kitchen knife at hand when preparing any meal as it's so practical, sharp and a bit more robust than my more expensive knives.

Haven't got a picture but got a Wüsthof Classic 23cm chef's knife for Christmas and I'm SO pleased with it. Very comfortable to use, practical thin blade and outstanding build quality - unlike my pro Sabatier set which couldn't be used for precision work and also hasn't stood the test of time very well.

Birthday coming up so have a Wüsthof CLASSIC 16cm kitchen knife and just trying to decide on a couple of good pairing knives in the same set.

Associate
Agree to a point, I will always keep my ~£15 Victorinox 16cm kitchen knife at hand when preparing any meal as it's so practical, sharp and a bit more robust than my more expensive knives.

Haven't got a picture but got a Wüsthof Classic 23cm chef's knife for Christmas and I'm SO pleased with it. Very comfortable to use, practical thin blade and outstanding build quality - unlike my pro Sabatier set which couldn't be used for precision work and also hasn't stood the test of time very well.

Birthday coming up so have a Wüsthof CLASSIC 16cm kitchen knife and just trying to decide on a couple of good pairing knives in the same set.

Have you considered a smaller santoku knife rather than a smaller cooks knife, 23cm to 16cm wouldn't seem to make much of a difference to me as much as the change in blade shape. I do tend to split down the middle and go for a 20cm as my main knife.

Soldato
Thought you guys might appreciate this short documentary on Chinese knife skills. Quite interesting to see how the knifes are made and how they are utilized when cooking. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sijUq_Gxyu4

Ok, having some good knife skills myself, the ones demonstrated in that video are pretty insane. I have been using Vicnox knives for 20 years in my trade (butchery and Fishmongering) and have developed a damn good set of skills. Over the years I have had requests for slicing beef or pork into VERY thin slices for customers and have done so with great results but I can see how it would be easier using one of those chef ones.

In that video I saw a chef cutting a fish fillet into a chrysanthemum/hedgehog/squirrel type design and deep fried. I have actually done that for a customer at work. Maybe she saw that video or found a recipe for it.

Soldato
Shaz]sigh[;25699653 said:
What size do people recommend for a Chef's knife? I was thinking somewhere between 24-25cm - is there any reason to go smaller?

8 inch Cooks knife will quite happily do most jobs, but balance in the hand for me is a big thing. I have a Gustav emil ern set and the cooks blade is just divine to use, so i'd recommend having a feel of a few :)

way too much double entendre in that paragraph :D

Associate
Ok, having some good knife skills myself, the ones demonstrated in that video are pretty insane. I have been using Vicnox knives for 20 years in my trade (butchery and Fishmongering) and have developed a damn good set of skills. Over the years I have had requests for slicing beef or pork into VERY thin slices for customers and have done so with great results but I can see how it would be easier using one of those chef ones.

In that video I saw a chef cutting a fish fillet into a chrysanthemum/hedgehog/squirrel type design and deep fried. I have actually done that for a customer at work. Maybe she saw that video or found a recipe for it.

For me, it was pretty inspiring to watch. I had heard from a friend about the skill building lessons/exercises practiced in the Chinese culinary schools, so it was nice to see a video which further detailed what I had been told.

Back
Top Bottom