Knife Thread

Man of Honour
This is just copy and paste from various places, so its not my own work.

If you want to go into extreme detail, then have a look at this site
http://zknives.com
&
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/ ( a lot is stolen from this guide, if you want to know everything, this is your one stop call and well worth a read)

Also a good YouTube channel with lots of advice on knifes, what to look for, how to do stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/mahalocooking

The most important thing when buying knifes is to try before you buy. Try getting to a cook shop and handling the Knifes. Just because people recommend them, does not mean you will like them. Weight, handle shape, handle material, blade shape are all very important and totally personal preference.

General knife care
  • Use wooden or composite plastic cutting boards only. Glass, ceramic, marble and steel will cause the edge to roll or chip. Bad. Don’t do it.
  • Don’t drop your knives in the sink. Not only is it a hazard to the person washing dishes, but you can also blunt the tip or edge.
  • Don’t put your knives in the dishwasher. The heat may damage wooden handles and the edges may bang against other cutlery or plates.
  • Keep your knives clean and dry. Sanitize if necessary.
  • Do not store your knives loose in a drawer. Use a block, magnetic strip, slotted hanger or edge guards. The magnetic strip is not recommended if you have children or inquisitive pets.
  • Finally, your knife is not a can opener, a screwdriver, a pry bar, box cutter or hammer. There’s a special place in Hell reserved for people who abuse their knives this way.

Again if you really want to be a pro, refer back to this guide.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/
Section 5, it requires a lot of reading as you need to learn many things.

Knife Skills - How to Sharpen a Knife With a Honing Steel

Knife Skills - How to Sharpen a Knife With a Combination Stone

Most of the decent knifes

75386017.jpg

Common Kitchen Knives
Chefs Knife
A modern chef's knife (also known as a cook's knife) is a utility knife designed to perform well at many differing kitchen tasks, rather than excelling at any one in particular. It can be used for mincing, slicing, chopping vegetables, slicing meat, or even jointing large cuts of beef or ham. In order to improve the chef's knife's multi-purpose abilities, some owners employ differential sharpening along the length of the blade.
The fine tip, used for precision work such as mincing, might be ground with a very sharp, acute cutting bevel; the mid-section or belly of the blade receives a moderately sharp edge for general cutting, chopping and slicing, while the heavy heel or back of the cutting edge is given a strong, thick edge for heavy-duty tasks. A Typical Chefs Knife by Global
There are two types of blade shape, French and German. The far more common German design features a pronounced curve towards the tip of the blade which allows the knife to be rocked up and down, chopping the food with the belly and heel of the blade. The French design is more triangular, with much less curve at the tip and a longer straight section of blade; it is designed to be pulled towards the user, slicing the food instead. Chef's knives are most commonly available between 15 cm and 30 cm (6 and 12 inches), though 20 cm (8 inches) is the most common size. Most chefs recommend using the largest chef's knife that is comfortable in the cook's hands.

Utility Knife
A utility knife is a medium-size knife of conventional pattern intended for a myriad of cutting duties. Whilst being too short and thin for heavier cutting tasks many home cooks appreciate a multipurpose knife that covers a variety of tasks. Utility knives can either have a plain edge blade or a serrated blade, some of which are considered tomato knives. They are usually between about 10 cm and 18 cm (4 and 7 inches) in length.

Paring Knife
A paring knife is a small knife with a plain edge blade that is ideal for peeling and other small or intricate work (such as de-veining a shrimp or cutting small garnishes). It is designed to be an all-purpose knife, similar to a chef's knife, except smaller. Paring knives are usually between 6 cm and 10 cm (2½ and 4 inches), as anything larger than about 10 cm or 12 cm (4 or 5 inches) is typically considered a utility knife, though the distinction is somewhat vague.

Bread Knife
Bread knives are a type of serrated knife, Bread knives are usually between 15 cm and 25 cm (6 and 10 inches), with 20 cm (8 inches) being a common length. The serrations on the blade make it ideal for cutting bread (and other foods with hard/soft composition).

Offset Serrated Knife
Similar to a bread knife an offset serrated knife has a serrated blade and an offset handle that ensures the cook's knuckles will not touch the cutting surface when the blade has cut all of the way through the food. These knives are particularly popular in sandwich shops and some manufacturers refer to them as deli Knives.

Meat Knives
Carving Knife
A carving knife is a large knife (between 20 cm and 38 cm (8 and 15 inches)) that is used to slice thin cuts of meat, including poultry, roasts, hams, and other large cooked meats. A carving knife is much thinner than a chef's knife (particularly at the spine), enabling it to carve thinner, and more precise slices. They are generally shorter and wider than slicing knives.

Slicing Knife
A slicing knife serves a similar function to a carving knife, although it is generally longer and narrower. Slicers may have plain or serrated edges. Such knives often incorporate blunted or rounded tips, and feature Granton edge (scalloped blades) to improve meat separation. Slicers are designed to precisely cut smaller and thinner slices of meat, and are normally more flexible in order to accomplish this task. As such, many cooks find them better suited to slicing ham, roasts, fish, or barbecued beef and pork.

Cleaver
A meat cleaver is a large, rectangular knife that is used in cutting meat. The blade, approximately 15 cm (6 inches) long, is very heavy, with a thick spine, enabling the knife to chop through bone and joints with relative ease. Many cleavers have a hole in the end to allow them to be easily stored on a rack. Cleavers are an essential tool for any restaurant that prepares its own meat.
The so-called 'Chinese Cleaver' or Chinese chef's knife is actually a form of general-purpose cleaver, most varieties being much thinner in cross-section than the Western meat cleaver. Despite the increased popularity of Chinese cleavers in the West, most home meat preparation is still undertaken with a boning knife.

Boning Knife
A boning knife has a sharp point and narrow blade. It is used for removing the bones of poultry, meat, and fish. Generally 12 cm to 17 cm (5 to 6 ½ inches) in length, it features a very narrow blade. A stiff boning knife is good for boning beef and pork, but a very flexible boning knife is preferred for poultry and fish.

Fillet Knife
A fillet knife is like a very flexible boning knife that is used to fillet and prepare fish. They have a blade that is about 15 cm to 28 cm (6 to 11 inches) long, allowing them to move easily along the backbone and under the skin of fish.

Ham Slicer
A ham slicer is a special type of slicer, with a long blade and rounded tip that is offered by some manufacturers. They are specially tailored to cutting ham, as they are generally thinner and more flexible. Stellar Ham Slicer

Steak Knife
A steak knife is used at the table (as opposed to the kitchen) to cut through especially tough foods, such as meat. It is somewhat like a serrated utility knife, though its purpose is different. A steak knife is usually about 10 cm to 15 cm (4 to 6 inches) long and usually serrated, though some are not. Most are also decorative, since they are set on the table with the silverware!

Small Knives
Peeling Knife
Also known as a Tourne Knife or Bird's Beak Knife, a peeling knife often has a pointed tip that curves downward (towards the blade). They are often used for many of the same tasks as paring knives. They can be used to cut decorative garnishes (such as rosettes or fluted mushrooms), slice soft fruits, or peel skins or blemishes. They are also used to make a cut known as a tournée cut in vegetables such as carrots.

Trimming Knife
Usually about 5 cm to 8 cm (2 to 3 inches) long, a trimming knife has a small, curved blade that is shaped somewhat like a boning knife. Trimming knives are ideal for small tasks such as decorating and peeling.

Fluting Knife
Usually about 5 cm to 10 cm (2 to 4 inches) long, a fluting knife has a small blade that is very straight. Fluting knives are ideal for small tasks such as decorating and peeling.

Cheese Knives
Cheese knives are designed for soft,hard and parmesan cheeses:Soft cheese knives are specially designed for slicing soft cheese often having holes in the blade to prevent the cheese from sticking.Hard cheese knives are sharp, so they can cut exact slices, and often have a forked tip, allowing them to be used as a serving utensil as well.Parmesan cheese knives are specially designed for slicing very hard cheeses and have very short, thick blades that allow the user to put pressure into the cut.

Rockwell Scale
In general, the harder the steel, the keener the edge it will take. However, a hard steel makes it more difficult to get that edge in the first place. So manufacturers leave the steel a little soft, theoretically making sharpening at home easier.

Generally low 60s is considered the best for home use. Hard enough to keep an edge, but not so hard its impossible to sharpen.

Henckel Twin Cermax Rockwell 66°
I.O.Shen Rockwell 62°
Global Rockwell 56° - 58°

Edge Basics - its important to sharpen in line with what the knife originally came with, unless you want to totally regrind the edge.

Most kitchen knives are flat ground, meaning that the blade tapers directly from the spine to the edge. Hollow ground, convex ground and saber ground blades are rarely found in the kitchen. I mention them only to confuse you.

Edges come in a variety of flavors. The most common are the V-edge, double beveled edge, chisel ground edge and the convex edge.

V-edges and double beveled edges are variations on a theme. The edge found on your kitchen knives is most likely a V-edge, meaning, oddly enough, that the edge bevels form a V, two surfaces intersecting at a line of (ideally) zero width.

A double bevel takes this idea a little further by adding a second, more acute, angle behind the edge bevel. This secondary bevel is sometimes called a back bevel or relief angle. It’s purpose is to thin the metal behind the edge. The thinner the edge, the greater the cutting ability. However, an edge that is too thin is susceptible to damage. So you add a smaller, more obtuse primary bevel to the very edge to give it the strength to avoid damage from impaction, chipping or rolling.

Chisel ground edges are primarily found on Japanese knives, especially sushi knives. The edge is ground only on one side. The other is side is flat. Hence they come in right and left handed versions. Chisel ground edges can be extremely thin and sharp. If the edge bevel is ground at 25 degrees and the other side is 0 degrees, you have an included angle of 25 degrees – considerably more acute than the average Western knife.

sharpen102.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an 8-piece Henckels Pro S set that has sat in storage for the last 2 years which we got as a wedding gift - didn't want to break it own until we had our own place - I'm moving next Friday and I'm not sure what I'm more looking forward to, having our own place or finally getting at the knives :o :p

Soldato
anyone tried the knives tesco are flogging via vouchers at the minute?

Just found out I have enough vouchers for a discount. Not sure if it is worth it though. I currently have a set of Stellar (James Martin) Santoku knives.

http://www.tesco.com/thomas-knives/

Google searches mostly pointed to the Tesco deal. Although this bit of info was on the deals website.

"OK, I did a little research, and these knives sound decent. They are
sold around the world, only through Supermarket frequent buyers point
programs. They are made in China for

TCC Retail Marketing Inc
301 Riverside Avenue 301 Riverside Avenue
Westport Westport
CT 06889-4806 USA CT 06889-4806 USA

Eight German reviews on dooyoo.de for "Thomas Rosenthal Messer" gave
the knives four or five stars out of five. Most of these folks are
young people who are leaving home for the first time. They liked the
sharpness, the way the knives fit the hand, and the sanitizing
benefits of not having a separate handle. One guy complained the steak
knife blades were too short. Nobody collected enough loyalty points to
get the storage block or cutting board."

In the above case the knives were giveaways when enough points were collected.

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
I have those Wusthofs but the red labels fell off a few of them. I think it's because my woman put them in the dishwasher though.

Soldato
I've never quite understood the purpose of a steak knife. To me it's kinda a crap hangover from the 70s or 80s. I mean, surely if you need such a tool to cut through your steak then it's not a steak that you want to be eating?

I bought the Wusthoff knives nearly two years ago now. One 19" Chef's knife, one 3" utility knife, one 5" filleting knife. I was planning on buying more, but in all honesty I haven't needed anything. Those three are good for 90% of kitchen tasks. The other 10% are handled by a cheap bread knife and cleaver that au picked up from Sainsbury's.

Soldato
Having been a Butcher for 10 years or so and still a Fish monger after 6 years I can honestly say the Victorinox brand have the best knives you can get. The last ages and easy to keep sharp. Good value too. I have been using the same boning knife for the last 12 months and considering I use it all day everyday pretty much it's certainly holding up well.

Associate
Yup, when I moved house a few months ago I threw out all my old knives and just got a Victorinox chefs, paring and steel, which cost a grand total of about £30 quid. They're as good as any knife I've used and better than the vast majority. I even use the chef's knife for cutting bread with as it's so sharp it just slides through.

They're so cheap that I don't have to baby them at all and chuck them in drawers or full sinks or whatever, and just hone them with a steel each time I use em. When they go truly blunt I imagine I'll just buy new replacements as it'll be cheaper than getting them properly sharpened.

I struggle to see the market for prestige brands of knives really.

Associate
Got a full set of the Porsche 301, absolutely fantastic knives. Many raise this issue about the different handle saying it may be uncomfortable. but everyone I know who has used them or mine have found the just fit in your hands.

Soldato
I've got a number of Kins, which I think are great knives. They're rebranded something else Japanese apparently, but they are really nice and hold their sharpness well.

I'm using some globals at the moment in the flat I rent, but no where near as nice to use.

Permabanned
I've got a number of Kins, which I think are great knives. They're rebranded something else Japanese apparently, but they are really nice and hold their sharpness well.

I'm using some globals at the moment in the flat I rent, but no where near as nice to use.

I have met the girls that demonstrate the knives for Kin. I bought one. :D

Soldato
I use Stellar Sabatier's. They seem to do what I need fine. I would have probably got Global's if I was buying for myself, but I got a set of Stellar's as a present.

Back
Top Bottom