Hatred for DRL's

Soldato
Well if you want to be silly about it, why don't we make all cars bright neon colours all over?

If it saves a life...?

Actually if you want to get really silly and make the roads Much much safer then we need a very sharp spike in the middle of the steering wheel and no seatbelts.

Soldato
I think they should have been introduced years ago, why do motorbikes ride with lights on, simple fact, so they can be seen.

My GF hates the guts out of my A5 and the DRLs, she seems to think they are "showing off" "oh look at me" cars LoL.

That's exactly what they are though.

Soldato
That's exactly what they are though.

Volvo have been doing it for time immemorial, the big difference is they are basically dipped headlights instead of the annoying Christmas tree led's that burn your retinas that most new cars seem to have.

Last edited:
Soldato
Within 3 years most new cars will deliver with full LED headlights. Deal with it.

Capture_zpse9bb1b60.png

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;25911490 said:
Bling ones look tacky, non-bling ones are like a massive 'I bought the base model with no Xenons' advert, so its kinda hard to get a middle ground that works :D

Exactly some DRL's can look fantastic but all the LED ones look crap in my eyes. I love the look of E60 side lights for example. In a few years time it will be cool to have yellow side lights as blingy white LED's will be everywhere.

Soldato
I get why bikes have their lights on as they are harder to see, cars though, not so much.

"oh you cannot see my huge white Mercedes in broad daylight so I bought one with lights permanently on"

Associate
They let you know the car is 'on' and moving or may possibly move, that alone is enough to warrant having mandatory lights, hence why it is now a legal requirement for new

I would prefer an indication than some one pulling out head on than them having DRL also I've never found it hard to tell if a car is moving or not remember this is head on you should have plenty of time to assess what's infront of you or you are going too fast.

Precisely. Twilight is the time between dawn (first light) and sunrise (when the sun comes over the horizon), or sunset and dusk. Therefore, the sun is below the horizon at these times and irrelevant to the point I was making, which was about the sun being in your eyes....which means it has to be over the horizon.

You're still missing the point. No one is saying that DRLs are required to spot a car in daylight, only that it can only make things easier. Illuminating an object will make it easier for the human eye to detect and for your brain to process it's existence that little bit quicker, and it also makes spotting an object in your peripheral vision (which is far more sensitive to movement) easier.

You may think it makes no difference to you, but I can pretty much guarantee that you would spot a car with DRLs more quickly than one without, whether subconsciously or not, and that speed of detection might make all the difference in a driving situation. That is where their value lies.

As many people I generalise dusk and dawn to be the start and finish of sun rise/set that's where the confusion lied my fault. I think we will have to agree to disagree during the daytime with adequate light I just don't see the point in certain conditions and that they don't put the back lights most collisions I've seen we're not head on the only point to DRL I can see is pedestrian safety.

Surely it would be far safer to start thinking about lights on/off whenever the conditions dictate?

No is debating that we are talking about DRL during adequate light during the day.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think disliking them is pretty daft. They do more good than harm. I always ride on my motorbike with lights makes you more visible.

It's like high vis, no one likes them, they're not cool, but you know what? They make you easier to spot - that's a good thing in my book.

The only issue I have is with people not using their lighting a thinking that DRLs are sufficient.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25911490 said:
Bling ones look tacky, non-bling ones are like a massive 'I bought the base model with no Xenons' advert, so its kinda hard to get a middle ground that works :D

This

LED DRL's + Halogen dipped beams looks terrible. The new Audi DRL's are streets ahead of the competition. I can't stand the dotty LED's found on Skoda's/Vauxhalls/Fords. Much prefer the "glow stick" look on the newer Audi's

Caporegime
Incredibly useful in California, cars driving out of the low sun are virtually invisible without DRLs

Useful in the same low sun conditions we sometimes get over here too!

Even truck manufacturers are starting to fit them, nothing about bling, it's all about visibility (and believe me, often trucks seem invisible!!)

Back
Top Bottom