• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

r9 290x Lighting Release date or information?

Soldato
Can't help but feel this card is going to be all show and no go.

Unless MSI bin the chips on these and allow the card to go to 1.5v+ I can't see the card fulfilling its promise.

Soldato
Can't help but feel this card is going to be all show and no go.

Unless MSI bin the chips on these and allow the card to go to 1.5v+ I can't see the card fulfilling its promise.

I do believe MSI have binned these chips but I could be wrong. Sure I read this somewhere. But because they are binned doesn't mean they can handle that amount of voltage lol.

Soldato
Maybe I am a touch cynical darter the last couple of lightning releases. These guys should be sticking it to evga but fail on the details.

You can already stick 1.4v through an asus 290x dcu so what's the point of all that fancy circuitry and extra power connectors if you can't do 1.5?

This card needs to gurantee that you will break 1250-1280 on the core at around 1.3v otherwise you might as well just buy a reference card.

Caporegime
Maybe I am a touch cynical darter the last couple of lightning releases. These guys should be sticking it to evga but fail on the details.

You can already stick 1.4v through an asus 290x dcu so what's the point of all that fancy circuitry and extra power connectors if you can't do 1.5?

This card needs to gurantee that you will break 1250-1280 on the core at around 1.3v otherwise you might as well just buy a reference card.

I agree. The Lightning 680's were very nice but the 7970 had fail after fail, they released the 780 LTG, which was getting kicked about silly by the Classy.

I like MSI but they seriously need to step up their game for me to consider them a top player again.

Caporegime
I've been running my Rig without a Graphics card for 2 months, waiting on this badboy landing.

Playing games on a HD4000 GPU has been...Interesting shall we say.

I needs a price!!!

Good God Man! :eek: get yourself on the Flea Market for a 5770, flog it on again once you have the Lightning, worst case you will loose; what? 5 / £10?

I don't think I could live a week on a HD4000 let alone 2 Months.

Soldato
I agree. The Lightning 680's were very nice but the 7970 had fail after fail, they released the 780 LTG, which was getting kicked about silly by the Classy.

I like MSI but they seriously need to step up their game for me to consider them a top player again.

Yup, from the randomness of the single link DVI, the lower then reference voltage limit (1.35v lightning vs 1.42v reference) along with the random suicides. It had potential but MSI blew it.

Lightning chips are binned to a certain degree, but as ever the best of the best are kept as competition cards for pro clockers. I had 3 7970 Lightnings, the best would do 1340mhz the worst 1200mhz, likewise I had 3 reference 7970's, the best would do 1310mhz the worst 1190mhz. I feel you play more of a lottery with Lightnings then you do Classifieds.

Associate
I highly doubt they will clock that much better then good reference ones.I even doubt it will clock 1300mhz on core even with that crazy phase amount.

Soldato
Good God Man! :eek: get yourself on the Flea Market for a 5770, flog it on again once you have the Lightning, worst case you will loose; what? 5 / £10?

I don't think I could live a week on a HD4000 let alone 2 Months.

haha, I know :D

I overspent at build time. PS4, HDTV, Motherboard, I5 3570K.

Left myself knowingly short for the other pieces. Currently running the I5 on the Stock settings under the stock HSF too. :o

Future plans: Corsair Liquid Cooler, Lightning 290x, Xbox ONE, Wii U and 2x Tickets to Vegas.

You know what... I like the sound of the end result. But for now :( And when I see the bank account hit :(:(

Soldato
haha, I know :D

I overspent at build time. PS4, HDTV, Motherboard, I5 3570K.

Left myself knowingly short for the other pieces. Currently running the I5 on the Stock settings under the stock HSF too. :o

Future plans: Corsair Liquid Cooler, Lightning 290x, Xbox ONE, Wii U and 2x Tickets to Vegas.

You know what... I like the sound of the end result. But for now :( And when I see the bank account hit :(:(

That's my kind of shopping list :)

Back
Top Bottom