Cancer

Nix

Nix

Soldato
The theory is that with all these women not wearing make-up, they're hoping to scare cancer away.

Soldato
All these donations to Cancer Research, where does the money go? I cant see much in the way of a cure being found, apart from a few new early detection techniques they are no closer to solving the riddle. This year alone, I know 3 people who have been effected directly or indirectly with cancer. My own sister at the age of 21 had to have both her breast removed as a precaution against some genetic type of cancer and when she has had a child they plan to remove her womb as well.

For all the millions and billions they get, progress is too slow IMHO.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
14vtf02.jpg

Soldato
All these donations to Cancer Research, where does the money go? I cant see much in the way of a cure being found, apart from a few new early detection techniques they are no closer to solving the riddle. This year alone, I know 3 people who have been effected directly or indirectly with cancer. My own sister at the age of 21 had to have both her breast removed as a precaution against some genetic type of cancer and when she has had a child they plan to remove her womb as well.

Its as if it might be difficult to find a cure :o

Man of Honour

There are many types of cancer and the treatment of some types has indeed been massively improved. I had testicular cancer a couple of years ago and it now has something like a 98% survival rate if caught early. But back in the 1970s it would have been a death sentence.

That seems like good progress to me in 40 years.

Soldato
Everyone at work is ranting about it too.

The very fact people are now talking about it, debating it, posting threads and discussing it etc surely is a good thing, and will spur people on to donate? It doesn't matter what is being done to get attention, rather more important that the matter is being brought up.

And yeah, people who know people who have had cancer, or do have or have had cancer previously, it's very sad but every single person in the UK has a similar story. We're all well aware of what cancer does to people and families.

This is just a seemingly harmless way of bringing it up into the conversation again, it's a little stupid and in isolation does nothing to help cancer research, but it's got people talking again. I just hope it's helped donations, that's the bottom line.

Soldato
There are many types of cancer and the treatment of some types has indeed been massively improved. I had testicular cancer a couple of years ago and it now has something like a 98% survival rate if caught early. But back in the 1970s it would have been a death sentence.

That seems like good progress to me in 40 years.

Curing a cancer by lopping of parts of somebodies body, like in my sisters case for example is hardy what id call a proper one. Sure she will survive, at a cost for the rest of her life, and in 98% of cases like hers they will survive too. Ive already stated that detection has improved.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I never once said it was easy, derek. I just saying that the amount of funding they receive i expect more.

Exactly! It's not like it's brain surgery or anything...

Seriously, I'm pretty sure scientists all across the globe are working as hard as they can to find the elusive cure but I'll be sure to tell them that you're unhappy with their progress if I ever meet any of them :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Curing a cancer by lopping of parts of somebodies body, like in my sisters case for example is hardy what id call a proper one. Sure she will survive, at a cost for the rest of her life, and in 98% of cases like hers they will survive too. Ive already stated that detection has improved.

The radiotherapy (and chemo if I'd needed it) were quite handy treatments too.

The use of ultrasound, CT scans and MRI scans are being quite useful as well for confirming where treatment is or maybe required.

And the hormone treatment I have daily is also quite welcome rather than just wait for related health issues later in life.

Like I originally said there have been significant advances in treatment of some cancers. But I highly suspect your sister didn't have the same type of cancer that I did...

Back
Top Bottom