** rjkoneill's Keyboard Guide **

Associate
Thanks for the info on here, but I still couldn't decide.

I had been looking for a sampler everywhere but most are only available in the US, eventually found this: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/cherry-mx-switch-sampler.asp
It's the Max Keyboard sampler.

I know the site doesn't look the best, but ordered on Monday and received Wednesday morning. They also supplied full tracking info.

It's a great website, the UK's only stockist of the Filcos IIRC. It's well known amongst keybaord heads so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Associate
Thanks for the info on here, but I still couldn't decide.

I had been looking for a sampler everywhere but most are only available in the US, eventually found this: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/cherry-mx-switch-sampler.asp
It's the Max Keyboard sampler.

I know the site doesn't look the best, but ordered on Monday and received Wednesday morning. They also supplied full tracking info.

Great idea but the price of postage is a bit steep. I think I might just order a red and a brown and return the one I don't like as much. OCUK should do a sample board like this and offer a disscount off the price off a full board if you go on to buy one.

Associate
Great idea but the price of postage is a bit steep. I think I might just order a red and a brown and return the one I don't like as much. OCUK should do a sample board like this and offer a disscount off the price off a full board if you go on to buy one.

I agree with that ^

I know the postage is steep though but wanted to be sure when spending so much on a keyboard :)

EDIT:
Forgot to say, I decided on brown as I liked the bump but I'm actually going to use 2 o-rings on the main WASD cluster I think.

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone with brown switches tell me if there is a noticeable 'bump' upon actuation? Or is it the same as the Reds but just require a bit more force?

Associate
Can anyone with brown switches tell me if there is a noticeable 'bump' upon actuation? Or is it the same as the Reds but just require a bit more force?

Don't want to derail this too much as all details are in the initial posts.

Yes Brown switches have a noticeable bump, and I think that even though the specifications state that the red and brown have the same actuation force, I personally found the browns slightly stiffer as you have to push past the bump.

Associate

I tried my friend's Quickfire TK with Browns and I found the click to be much more subtle than I expected although very noticeable when gently pressing them. If you are thinking of buying, I would recommend blues, especially for typing, as I have them and couldn't be happier.

Associate
Really nice guide. I've been wondering what the fuss is with mechanicals as they seem incredibly expensive when I've been used to spending about £14.99 on a keyboard since as far back as I can remember.

I do have a question though - if the Cherry MX Browns are similar in feel to a dome keyboard, then what's the point of it?

That sampler thing looks handy. I haven't a clue what any of the switches feel like so wouldn't know where to begin ordering one.

As these things are becoming so popular, are we likely to see the prices of mechanicals come down?

Also, for comparison's sake, what's the rough actuation force on a laptop keyboard?

Associate
Ever get anywhere with the O-rings? My Filco Majestouch 2 with Browns is a little noisy still for the wife lol, she moans about it all the time and reckons she can hear it over the baby monitor!! (Baby's room is below my office)

Associate
Great article Rich, very informative.

Already got a Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Brown on order for my new rig. Still debating on whether I should have gone for the K70 MX Red though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
MX Brown for me I think. I'm about to place an order on the new DAS 4 Professional which has the USB 3 hub built in and am opting for the Brown switches. Love the design of it. No barry lighting :)p) or other novelty features (yes it has a ruler but that's the height raiser so can be excused!).

Need to see if there's any other competition for it first though but I'm pretty much sold on it and want to get shot of this Logitech K750 which has been fine but my work K750 needs replacing so want to relocate the home one there and get something new and different.
different

Will be my first wired keyboard in 10+ years and first mechanical keyboard ever :o

Edit*
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/peripherals/das-keyboard-4-professional-1243653/review

Hmm user reports saying not to buy it because of USB 3 hub issues where if you transfer large files then the keyboard bogs down. Looks like hub issues that can be addressed if you send it back... Do I want to chance the risk of getting a non "fixed" one? Hmm...

Last edited:
Associate
Ive just got myself a corsair K90 so looking forward to it arriving and trying out a mechanical keyboard. I was looking at a corsair K40 but got offered the K90 at a good price so thought I would give it a go.

Associate
Thanks for the great write up. Been thinking about getting one for ages but couldnt decide between the brown and red. I am leaning more to the red so time will tell as I am on the list for the testing set offered on another post.

Cheers

Soldato
hmm. its really a prefference thing. a lot of people love red switches for gaming but when i used reds i hated them.

reds/blues/browns are all pretty similar (with the clicks differentiating them) if you intend to do any typing i say to avoid reds.

browns i feel would give you the best of both worlds. a subtle bit of feedback and light actuation.

i personally use blacks.

Associate
Thanks for the heads up on typing, as my current keyboard is horrile to type on, allways hitting other keys next to the ones I want and as they are so light to activate it makes lots of typos

Back
Top Bottom