Should the London marathon be banned to the public?

Soldato
I do think there is too much emphasis on the fundraising side. People constantly trying to push the boundary in favour of publicity e.g. wearing stupid heavy suits, thus increasing the risk to health. I'm not saying impose any rules but people should properly assess the risk and not be simply swept along with the fundraising hype...

Man of Honour
A death in 2012 and now a death in 2014...The London Marathon is more dangerous than the Grand National.

Should there be deaths in what is a fun race for thousands?

No.

Over reacting sensationalist rubbish.

Perhaps an education campaign for those taking part - but banning is such a draconian attitude to have to things.

Associate
The London Marathon is the largest annual fundraising event in the world. The amount it has raised for good causes has surely saved hundreds of lives. No, it should definitely not be banned.

Associate
So, to start off: I ran the London Marathon this year. Absolutely great experience and a really enjoyable (and painful) day.

A few points to clear up on:

There is very clear information for everyone running the race.

There's a whole page dedicated to hyponatremia (over-hyrdation) & dehydration in the pre-race magazine. Lots of emphasis on the importance of keeping your body's salt and water levels balanced.

Those who have a history of heart conditions or similar within their families are strongly advised to have full health & medical checkouts.

The magazine is very clear on the importance of training and understanding the task ahead.

Throughout the race there are marshalls and St John's Ambulance staff on hand. I reckon your more likely to die during training when there's no one on hand compared to at the marathon. So if anything, it's almost safer.

I do think there is too much emphasis on the fundraising side. People constantly trying to push the boundary in favour of publicity e.g. wearing stupid heavy suits, thus increasing the risk to health. I'm not saying impose any rules but people should properly assess the risk and not be simply swept along with the fundraising hype...

I think the most important thing to realise is that a lot of the runners are running for causes that are very close to their hearts. The support for charities is immense and for the majority of people, they'll run the marathon without problems.

I saw many people who had to stop running through injury or from feeling faint, but you have to realise that the amount of determination that exists amongst the runners is amazing, and the majority won't stop for anything.

I don't think there is another event which can compare to the London Marathon. The amount of money raised must be huge.

Did the guy (Tony Phoenix-Morrison) who did thirty half marathons with a fridge strapped to his back die?

I passed him yesterday. Looked like bloody hard work!

Caporegime
Thing I don't understand is why it's on TV for so long. Instead of showing it all morning on BBC1 surely it's a candidate for a 30 minutes highlight slot in the evening. I mean, what do the commentators talk about?

"There's a group of men running"
"And look at that, it's some women running now!"
"There's the wheelchairs, powering on home"
"The men, still running".

Associate
Marathons should be banned, the extra heat generated by marathon runners has greatly exacerbated global warming.

Back
Top Bottom