which 85mm ?

Soldato
Hi,
Am thinking about selling my beloved 105DC and swap it for 85mm/

Sadly, at the moment Nikkor 85mm 1.4g is out of my range, so am looking on 1.8g or maybe sigma 1.4 ?

many reviews say that Nikkor 1.8g is quite good, sharp et all

anyone used any of above ? and can share their experience ?

Thanks

Soldato
I've got the 85 1.8g

It's a decent enough lens , it's small, light, focuses reasonably fast and is pretty sharp wide open, or at least my copy is

What does an 85mm G offer you over the 105dc? They're not that far apart in focal length or widest aperture, so the benefits I see would be if you wanted a smaller, lighter lens and get some cash back from selling the 105

Associate
Random suggestion to confuse you some more....... Samyang 85mm f1.4 (if you can live with manual focus)? No experience with that specific lens (though I'm sure someone on here will have), but I have heard good things about them and they can be had for sub £300. I have the 8mm Samyang that I'm really impressed with so they are not worth writing off as a brand. The build quality is far better than any of the low end sigma kit I have used.

Dave

Soldato
OP
I've got the 85 1.8g

It's a decent enough lens , it's small, light, focuses reasonably fast and is pretty sharp wide open, or at least my copy is

What does an 85mm G offer you over the 105dc? They're not that far apart in focal length or widest aperture, so the benefits I see would be if you wanted a smaller, lighter lens and get some cash back from selling the 105

main reason is that I need something bit shorter.maybe 20mm is not much bit still

Soldato
OP
Random suggestion to confuse you some more....... Samyang 85mm f1.4 (if you can live with manual focus)? No experience with that specific lens (though I'm sure someone on here will have), but I have heard good things about them and they can be had for sub £300. I have the 8mm Samyang that I'm really impressed with so they are not worth writing off as a brand. The build quality is far better than any of the low end sigma kit I have used.

Dave

tried samyang on last photo show and its not my cup of tea :)

Soldato
main reason is that I need something bit shorter.maybe 20mm is not much bit still

IMO it's not that noticeably shorter , it's maybe only a couple of steps difference to get a similar framing , maybe look towards 50mm ?

Do you have any zoom lenses within those ranges you could you to see the actual difference ?

Soldato
OP
IMO it's not that noticeably shorter , it's maybe only a couple of steps difference to get a similar framing , maybe look towards 50mm ?

Do you have any zoom lenses within those ranges you could you to see the actual difference ?

have been moved to smaller space within my house - thanks to SHMBO ... :o

so do not have few steps ;)

and have 50mm already

as I said earlier, need to get hands on one of them and see if I like them.
there is a chance that even though it is not much of a difference in length, I might not like it at all.

I had to get used to 105 as I wanted 135, but at the time, that lens was nowhere to be found in UK...so went for 105

Associate
The 85 1.8G is really good. I've used the 1.4D and while it isn't super sharp like the G I liked the way it rendered, it's a very smooth lens. AF accuracy was a bit hit and miss though.

Soldato
OP
The 85 1.8G is really good. I've used the 1.4D and while it isn't super sharp like the G I liked the way it rendered, it's a very smooth lens. AF accuracy was a bit hit and miss though.

I've heard of problems with missed AF on 1.4g.

Thanks guys.
Seems 1.8g is the way to go for that length.

Caporegime
Hi,
Am thinking about selling my beloved 105DC and swap it for 85mm/

Sadly, at the moment Nikkor 85mm 1.4g is out of my range, so am looking on 1.8g or maybe sigma 1.4 ?

many reviews say that Nikkor 1.8g is quite good, sharp et all

anyone used any of above ? and can share their experience ?

Thanks

I have the 85mm 1.8G and it is very sharp and contrasty and renders nicely, focus is good if not lightning (they never are on fast primes due to shallow DoF and need for accuracy). I don't really see the need for any of the 1.4 lenses, the speed difference means nothing to me and is actually much less than the 2/3rds stops you would expect due to the way digital sensors work at extreme apertures.

However, why do you want to get rid of the 105DC? The DC is pretty unique and had the best Bokeh out there.

Caporegime

Dave

It's ok but not as good as the 1.8G and often more expensive without autofocus, so no real point. Manual focusing at f/1.4 on a DSLR is more or less impossible without modifying the viewfinder.

Back
Top Bottom