Anywhere to try on Grados?

Soldato
Just curious on the comfort side of things as I've never found a pair of on-ears that I can wear for longer than about an hour without substantial pain. I realise it's going to be difficult to judge sound quality out in the world.

Soldato
I found Grados to be supremely comfortable supra-aurals. Try Richersounds or SuperFi, both their Notts and Lichfield stores had demo pairs so the same should hold true of other branches.

Comfort wise, I also found the L-cush to be better than the S-cush - worth demoing a set of those or asking to try them (they're not longer standard on most models, but can be bought from Grado [ofc] so should be stocked be a good retailer.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Which Grados?

I've owned the SR60i after doing a lot of to and fro between them, the SR80 and SR125 and found them to be uncomfortable for long sessions.

1: The ear cups don't sit around the ears completely, parts still rest on the ears.
2: The headband not being padded adds discomfort from the pressure after an hour+ especially gaming as you move your head around quite quick at times when looking around.

Comfort issues have always plagued Grado's lines though. Just do a search online. I know you could fit different earpads to the lower/mid range cans from them and add a padded belt to the headband but given the price, this shouldn't be needed.

Sound quality was great though but they do leak louder than any other headphone I've heard and I found the Grado stereo imaging to be fatiguing with long sessions.

Soldato
I agree that they leak a lot, but they are one of the most comfortable cans I ever did wear (both SR60i and 80i). The bowl cups (L-cush) change it from a supra-aural to a standard over the ears can, and with my ears there was plenty space - no pressure on ear tips or lobe. The bowls seem to polarise wearers, some people, like myself, found them to be more comfortable, others found it put pressure on the extremities of their ears - they do however result in better tightness in the bass, slightly better bass extension and more clarity in my experience.

mrk, I'm slightly stumped at the term fatiguing, their sound signature results in a slightly rolled off treble - which if anything decreases their fatigue? I do apologise if I have misinterpreted your statement!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No I found them to cause me to feel tired after a long session due to the more central soundstage. Some music also gave the feeling of nausea because of that. I'd always been a Sennheiser soundstage man anyway though which was why I'd had that brand before and after all the time up until I checked out the Fidelio X1.

I'm very selective with how my audio sounds and much prefer a wide soundstage and the character that NAD amplifiers deliver in combination with that.

I have sensitive hearing too so I suppose some of the fatigue I had with Grado is due to that because high frequencies were very detailed but also very piercing at times and in a soundstage that isn't as wide as what I'm used to that causes some levels if discomfort.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
They are not comfortable as stock depending on which ones you mean if sr60i or sr80 no they use that horrible generic earpad foam thats irritable and the headband is painful as it has no padding to speak of, you could make it more comfortable by adding a bmx pad or pipe pad to it though or even buy a beyer dynamic headband pad

Soldato
No I found them to cause me to feel tired after a long session due to the more central soundstage. Some music also gave the feeling of nausea because of that. I'd always been a Sennheiser soundstage man anyway though which was why I'd had that brand before and after all the time up until I checked out the Fidelio X1.

I'm very selective with how my audio sounds and much prefer a wide soundstage and the character that NAD amplifiers deliver in combination with that.

I have sensitive hearing too so I suppose some of the fatigue I had with Grado is due to that because high frequencies were very detailed but also very piercing at times and in a soundstage that isn't as wide as what I'm used to that causes some levels if discomfort.

That's interesting, I've only even really felt fatigue with regards to treble, thanks for the insight and explanation! Wholly agree with you, NAD amps are the stuff of dreams, replaced the SA770 with a 3020 and the difference was astounding.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oooh the original 3020? I've always wanted to check one out but local access is slim and I didn't fancy eBay shipping prices just to check one out (already had the C320 and C325 Bee series back then).

Now on the D 3020 though :)

Associate
Superfi sale Grados. They are usually pretty decent when it comes to demo. If not just purchase some then return if they don't go well. The SR60i and 80i, I found fine but the 325i were annoying to wear.

Soldato
Oooh the original 3020? I've always wanted to check one out but local access is slim and I didn't fancy eBay shipping prices just to check one out (already had the C320 and C325 Bee series back then).

Now on the D 3020 though :)

Mhmm, saw it on eBay for £60 and snapped it up. Seem to have gone up to around £100+ atm. I have compared it to the Marantz PM6004, which is what I originally looking at, and I must say the 3020 has a much better tonal balance and just more warmth throughout - really pleasant to listen to.

Soldato
My old 3020 is still going strong 27 years after I bought it :D

Haha, epic. I have a Pioneer SA770 stereo amp that I used before getting the NAD3020 - its currently powering my hifi setup from the TV, still going strong. Amazing seeing as I inherited it from my Uncle who bought it in 1984! Must have spent at least a decade, perhaps more, just sat gathering dust and is still flawless. I still have the Wharfedale Delta 5s (inherited too) from 1985 that still work perfectly. Absolute bass monsters of floorstanders.

Back
Top Bottom