Canon 70D Hands on Experiance

Associate
Does anyone here have a 70D?... and if so what is your verdict?... I am thinking about moving from Nikon (D5100) to the 70D mainly for its video features. I am increasingly getting in to making films, and find my current Nikon very frustrating to use. It is very fiddly getting any sort of manual exposure control, though there are workarounds to gain some control, so the full manual of the 70D is very appealing. I'm also very interested in its focusing features, which looks amazing, and wonder just how good they are in day-to-day use.

I also want a great still camera, and feel this will beat my current SLR by a fair margin.

My other thought was a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (keeping the Nikon for stills) but think it may cost a lot to get it to a point where I can make decent films, and the workflow looks very daunting... does anyone have one of these here? if so I would love to hear some hands-on with these little cameras, which seem capable of fantastic video performance... far exceeding the DSLR's.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
I would have thought if video was your main thing then Sony would be better

I want to do video and stills in equal measure, and DSLR's are very capable film making tools, so an all in one would be good, unless I can get really high quality video from a standalone camera at a good price.

Which Sony?

Soldato
I bought my 70d because it seemed like a better option than the 7d to me. I wanted an upgrade and I wasn't willing to give up the crop factor. There's no regrets and I love my 70d but I can't really comment on the video features since I never really use them.

I'm keen to see what the 7d2 will be like. Hopefully it won't be too much better otherwise I'll feel bad about wanting to buy it when I should be saving up for silly long lenses... Or you know... Life!

Caporegime
I want to do video and stills in equal measure, and DSLR's are very capable film making tools, so an all in one would be good, unless I can get really high quality video from a standalone camera at a good price.

Which Sony?

The thing is to get a good video setup and video lenses then you have something useless for still images.

if you want a video setup because your current camera has some video limitation then buying another DSLR to do both wont really get you far. The 70D may have better AF for video but that is kind of useless, you want a camera with good focus peaking, decent focusing screen and lenses that can be easily adapted to fit your focus rack. Nikon has a small advantage here because all their manual focus lenses work flawless on the modern bodies and are easily modified for rack/rail focus systems. But neither canon or nikon really offer focus peaking.

If you want something good for video then have a look at the panasonic G4K, although even that has some limitations.

You want something with good focusing peaking and a global shutter which most DSLRs and even he g4k don't offer.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies... the limitation of the Nikon is the lack of decent exposure control in video mode, where the 70D has full manual control, which I want. The focus system also seem fantastic for video work too, using the touch screen to select and quickly and accurately focus on different areas.. focus pulling on a DSLR is difficult at best, so this seems like a great solution, but I wanted to know from those who have it, just how good it is... I still intend to use manual focus too.

All the reviews seem very positive, but you can't beat feedback from someone that has lived with it and used it for some time.

I am confused why getting a set-up for video and stills is so different... I'm basically filming the same subjects I take stills of (landscape) and have had no difficulties in that regard with my current set-up... maybe some types of work would require different things. I like that look you get with video in DSLR's, over camcorders, which seem less filmic and more synthetic.

Sound is another thing, and yes no headphone jack is slightly annoying... I have a Rode stereo mike, which is unusable on my Nikon due to the rubbish preamps they use... is the Canon any better in this regard?... I do have a separate recorder, but an all in one solution would be nice.

I went to town in the hope of handling a 70D but with few camera shops on the highstreet I had no luck... I've been using Nikon for a long time, so wanted to see how the Canon would feel in comparison.

Oh yes, and I would like to find out more about the G4K.. I know little at this point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The fundamentals is that a sensor for recording motion video is not the same design as for recording stills (for starters you really want a global shutter), the lenses for video will not be the same as for video - you want lenses design for manual focus and aperture control in T-stops and not f-stops, with the focus ring modified for rack focus pulling.

Then there is all the rig, mounting, sound, filter kit, tripod setups, shoulder mounts, focus screens, external recording etc. etc. Soon your DSLR looks like this http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=1474&page=5
or worse, your lenses are modified and you will have a heck of a time converting back to a usable stills camera.

This tends to extend to all equipment, e.g. a solid pan-tilt tripod for video work is not the same as a good ball-head or gimbal head tripod for stills work.

Have a look at the Black Magic Cinema, the new model with global shutter.

Associate
OP
D.P ... thank you for taking the time to reply, but I think you adding way too much complication. I'm not making Hollywood movies here, but small films to be shown along side the other visual work I do. I've been 'getting by' with a D3100 & 5100 and achieved decent results, using the same lens for both aspects, but I just want to make life easier and better in terms of focus and exposure.

I will use the same lenses for both still and video, as I have been doing... I will not be buying all the other kit. I have a decent fluid head tripod and that will do for now... at some point I may get a rig to handle a focus puller etc... but that is a big maybe.

I just wanted some hands on opinions of this particular DSLR and the features that make it good for film.

Caporegime
D.P ... thank you for taking the time to reply, but I think you adding way too much complication. I'm not making Hollywood movies here, but small films to be shown along side the other visual work I do. I've been 'getting by' with a D3100 & 5100 and achieved decent results, using the same lens for both aspects, but I just want to make life easier and better in terms of focus and exposure.

I will use the same lenses for both still and video, as I have been doing... I will not be buying all the other kit. I have a decent fluid head tripod and that will do for now... at some point I may get a rig to handle a focus puller etc... but that is a big maybe.

I just wanted some hands on opinions of this particular DSLR and the features that make it good for film.

For completely casual use you might find the 70D a tiny bit better, but you will likely find some of the Sony bodies and especially the Panasonic m43 bodies better still.
The m43 bodieis have ahuge amount of support for vieo work and would be a gateway to getting a Blackmagic setup.

A Panasonic panasonic gh 4k is really the best interchaneable lens camera that is great for video and stills.

Last edited:
Soldato
If video, get canon, no brainer, magic lantern makes it really awesome as well.

I have been filming on a set for about 2 days now (proper short film) and everyone is using canons due to there better suitability for video work, and all running magic lantern to tweak to the desired results, sorted.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys :) ... The GH4 is too expensive for me ATM. I can get the 70D with the 18-135mm for £860 whereas the GH4 would be more than double that.

I am aware of Canon's reputation in film making, which is why I have been looking in that direction... I was thinking of the 7D initially, which I've seen used in the industry, along with the 5D, and then came across the 70D which seemed to have similar capabilities and quality to the 7D along with some great new features.

Magic Lantern looks very interesting, but currently not available for the 70D.. though I must admit I would be very nervous using a hacked firmware... call me a wuss :D

I would love to know if anyone has plugged an external mic in to their 70D and what the result are re: noise.

And, any worries about Digital Rev?... they seem to offer a great price, and seem to get positive reviews.

Soldato
Digital Rev are fine and ship pretty quickly but there are a couple of things to be wary of as they are based in Hong Kong.

1: Warranty - Canon UK wont touch it with a planet sized barge pole because of its import status. DR will give you some options with regards to it but it's not as clear cut as simply getting it sent to Canon UK and sending back to Hong Kong is awkward.

2: Import Duty - You may be hit for the VAT and handling fees upon it landing in the UK. You may also get away with it but don't go buying with your eyes closed. By buying from Digital Rev you are potentially avoiding paying UK taxes on it so expect to be hit and if you aren't then its bonus. If you do get hit for duty then DR may refund it but I'm not sure about that these days.

Soldato
Digital Rev are fine and ship pretty quickly but there are a couple of things to be wary of as they are based in Hong Kong.

1: Warranty - Canon UK wont touch it with a planet sized barge pole because of its import status. DR will give you some options with regards to it but it's not as clear cut as simply getting it sent to Canon UK and sending back to Hong Kong is awkward.

2: Import Duty - You may be hit for the VAT and handling fees upon it landing in the UK. You may also get away with it but don't go buying with your eyes closed. By buying from Digital Rev you are potentially avoiding paying UK taxes on it so expect to be hit and if you aren't then its bonus. If you do get hit for duty then DR may refund it but I'm not sure about that these days.

DR have a "local warranty" where you can get it serviced/fixed at the local service centre and bill them - never used it personally though.

They will also reimburse you on any duties/charges that you get for most (if not all) stuff - it tells you that when you get to the checkout.

Associate
OP
That's great info Beepcake and Columbo, thanks very much... I will look into theses areas further before making any decision.

I would like to buy in this country, and preferably on the highstreet, as I have always done up until now, but the difference is getting on for £300.. we really are shafted over here.

BTW... what would the import duty be, if caught?

Caporegime
That's great info Beepcake and Columbo, thanks very much... I will look into theses areas further before making any decision.

I would like to buy in this country, and preferably on the highstreet, as I have always done up until now, but the difference is getting on for £300.. we really are shafted over here.

BTW... what would the import duty be, if caught?

zlxANvA.png

That excludes any handling charge by the courier. FWIW I bought a Canon G16 from Digirev and the customs invoice listed the value of the item as £80 - it was much more than that :p

If you're worried about importing, take a look at HDEW. They have it for £665 and give you a 3 year warranty. UK based but it'll be grey stock.

Associate
OP
zlxANvA.png

That excludes any handling charge by the courier. FWIW I bought a Canon G16 from Digirev and the customs invoice listed the value of the item as £80 - it was much more than that :p

If you're worried about importing, take a look at HDEW. They have it for £665 and give you a 3 year warranty. UK based but it'll be grey stock.

Thank you.

So what happens if it gets caught up in customs, what is the procedure for getting your goods.

HDEW have the 70d with 18-135mm listed at £885 v £859 for DR... I'm not sure what the difference is between a grey import over any other sort of import, esp if Canon will not touch either... is DR grey too?

Sorry for all the questions, that's gone away from the original topic.

Soldato
You'll get a letter from DHL, it will state you've got some cash to pay to release you parcel. Ring up, pay it delivery takes place a few days later.

I've been on both ends of Digital Rev though it was a few years ago when I bought a camera from them. I got done for VAT and handling when it landed and caused around a 7 day delay. I did get my customs charges back though.

The camera then developed a fault and if I'm honest I was less than impressed with the options I was offered but I won't muddy the waters with my experience as plenty of people have had no issue at all with them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thank you.

So what happens if it gets caught up in customs, what is the procedure for getting your goods.

HDEW have the 70d with 18-135mm listed at £885 v £859 for DR... I'm not sure what the difference is between a grey import over any other sort of import, esp if Canon will not touch either... is DR grey too?

Sorry for all the questions, that's gone away from the original topic.

Grey import just means an item that has been moved outside of it's intended domestic market. Obviously DR will be grey as it's a HK item in the UK. Canon won't touch either as they'll know from the serial number where the camera should be, but it seems both DR and HDEW have their own ways of handling this.

Back
Top Bottom