Motorola Moto E

Soldato
Full Specs

The Moto G was rather a hit at around £139 only 6 months ago, now we're getting the Moto E for £89!

Don't hotlink images - Rilot

I need to get hold of one of these and pit it against the Moto G!

Soldato
A bargain! shop's should eventually see a lower price too.

I'd still pay extra for the Moto G but if you don't need the bigger + better screen or flash this seems just as good.

Soldato
Motorola seems to be making a big play for Nokias old stamping ground, the high quality budget market. Fair play to them they are doing a great job!

Associate
I personally think £90 for the unlocked single-(micro)SIM version is a rip-off: it's being sold in India for 7,000 rupees (equivalent of £70) for the unlocked dual-SIM version (albeit dual-standby rather than dual-active).

Has anyone managed to find the XT model numbers? The only technical specification pages outside of GSMArena (linked by the OP) and PDAdb I can see are:

http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/mobile-phones/Moto-E/moto-e-gb.html
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/shop-all-other/Moto-E/moto-e.html
http://motorola.com.mx/consumers/mobile-phones/Moto-E/Moto-E-MX.html

(all identical but redirect to different 'Buy' links)

Soldato
OP
I personally think £90 for the unlocked single-(micro)SIM version is a rip-off: it's being sold in India for 7,000 rupees (equivalent of £70) for the unlocked dual-SIM version (albeit dual-standby rather than dual-active

Seriously?

Where is it being sold?

We need Andy to do a review. :D

I have the same question. Then hopefully I'll buy one and get some videos up :)

Soldato
I personally think £90 for the unlocked single-(micro)SIM version is a rip-off: it's being sold in India for 7,000 rupees (equivalent of £70) for the unlocked dual-SIM version (albeit dual-standby rather than dual-active).

Have you consider that perhaps it's being priced appropriately for a developing market? If you want it for £70 so badly, fly to India.

Associate
here for £80...
That SIM-free link is now saying £89.95 for both colours. PAYG is showing £79.95 + top-up.

Have you consider that perhaps it's being priced appropriately for a developing market?
Yes. Both that and my assertion that the Moto E is overpriced in the UK do not have to be mutually exclusive.

"3G Yes, 21.1 Mbps HSDPA; 5.76 Mbps HSUPA; HSPA+"

There is no 42Mbps DC-HSPA+ support on the Moto E, unlike the Alcatel IDOL S (6034R/Y/M) which can be had for around £80 - albeit SIM-locked - and also features Cat 3 LTE. The EE Kestrel / Huawei Ascend G6 is a touch dearer but features Cat 4 LTE in addition to 42Mbps DC-HSPA+.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no 42Mbps DC-HSPA+ support on the Moto E, unlike the Alcatel IDOL S (6034R/Y/M) which can be had for around £80 - albeit SIM-locked - and also features Cat 3 LTE. The EE Kestrel / Huawei Ascend G6 is a touch dearer but features Cat 4 LTE in addition to 42Mbps DC-HSPA+.

IMO the Kestrel is noticeably worse in 3 key areas of smartphone performance.

Screen, software and design. Yes you pay more for a Moto G, but your also getting more.

And Cat 4 LTE is kinda useless - who cares for 150Mbps over 100Mbps.

Soldato
With the SD card slot this could make a great MP3 player/gym companion and just use on WiFi only - at the moment I can get a Lumia 520 for $70 on PAYG but would prefer the E for superior Google Music All Access and fitness app support etc.

Looks like it has BTLE and proper GPS too which is nice!

Last edited:
Associate
Best in its class overall I say this phone

Sony Xperia E1 is similar money but smaller screen and worse camera but some may prefer Sony over Motorola.

Be interesting to see how this one sells.

Back
Top Bottom