Aer Lingus Delay - Refusal to pay compensation

Caporegime
If you were told your coffee would be ready in 5 mins but it took 10 mins should you get a £100 compensation even though you got your coffee in the end? If you only got half a cup of coffee ofc you should get some sort of refund but should you get compensation 4x more than the cost of the coffee ? errm don't think so

but her didn't get his coffee he got tea they took him to the wrong bloody airport!

oh and the planes likely had been running with so many unfixed faults that when something new cropped up they had to be grounded as they no longer met the MEL.

You'd be surprised just how many broken and leaking things airplanes can fly with.

he paid for a service he did not get it end of really.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

[TW]Fox;26553643 said:
This is an absolutely irrelevant question and I've no idea why people keep asking it. The EU regulations contain no requirement for the suffering of financial loss to enable a valid claim.

No it's not and you appear to have made an unwarranted assumption. I wasn't questioning the validity of the claim, I was trying to assess the urgency of the claim.

If there was no financial loss then I was going to suggest a course of action that isn't urgent in it's nature but would result in a satisfactory conclusion and the appropriate amount of compensation.

If there was a financial loss, then I was going to suggest another course of action that would likely expedite the compensation so that the financial situation for the OP can be addressed quicker but which carries a slight risk of the company dismissing the claim in the first instance.

But you're the expert Fox, I'll let you deal with the OP's questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
This is exactly the problem in this world, people believing they are entitled to compensation for every little thing that goes wrong. Honestly people like this really annoy me, they are ambulance chasers looking for a quick buck at the detriment of honest people. Stop being so pathetic and get on with your lives, honestly it is sad trying to get compo for such a little delay. Ever heard the phrase "buy cheap, buy twice?"

What happens if he specifically bought that flight because it was leaving at that specific time and paid a premium over an earlier or later flight to be on it?

He may not have had a conventional financial loss but the airline made a profit from you taking that flight and he may have spent more than he needed to, only to be given a substandard product.

Associate
What happens if he specifically bought that flight because it was leaving at that specific time and paid a premium over an earlier or later flight to be on it?

He may not have had a conventional financial loss but the airline made a profit from you taking that flight and he may have spent more than he needed to, only to be given a substandard product.

He went with a cheap no frills airline, something went wrong with the plane and they couldn't use it. Life is hard sometimes, get over it, move on and use a better airline next time.

Man of Honour
He went with a cheap no frills airline, something went wrong with the plane and they couldn't use it. Life is hard sometimes, get over it, move on and use a better airline next time.

Aer Lingus is hardly a cheap no-frills airline - it operates a low-cost model on it's European flights but it is a full service legacy carrier, rather than Ryanair. I'm booked with them in a few months time and however much I wish it was cheap and no frills it certainly wasn't!

Caporegime
This is exactly the problem in this world, people believing they are entitled to compensation for every little thing that goes wrong. Honestly people like this really annoy me, they are ambulance chasers looking for a quick buck at the detriment of honest people. Stop being so pathetic and get on with your lives, honestly it is sad trying to get compo for such a little delay. Ever heard the phrase "buy cheap, buy twice?"

You're ridiculous.

Caporegime

and so he should be compensated for them not providing the service they agreed to deliver.

Caporegime

And? That has no bearing on the matter. They are still a registered airline based in the EU.

Would you class Qatar and BA as cheap no frills airlines? I ask because I was screwed over by both (in different circumstances to the OP but i still ended up at the wrong airport at the wrong time) and they got away with it as well... The point being this sort of thing can happen with any airline.

Associate
And? That has no bearing on the matter. They are still a registered airline based in the EU.

Would you class Qatar and BA as cheap no frills airlines? I ask because I was screwed over by both (in different circumstances to the OP but i still ended up at the wrong airport at the wrong time) and they got away with it as well... The point being this sort of thing can happen with any airline.

Perhaps it was the way you spoke with the airline? I find being nice to people usually gets the best customer service ?

Caporegime
Perhaps it was the way you spoke with the airline? I find being nice to people usually gets the best customer service ?

:p

Unfortunately sometimes being mice doesn't get you the answer you need...

And no, I wasn't anything but nice.

Good to see you have no answer to the actual question though. ;)

Soldato
OP
Wow this thread escalated!

People are making me out to be some kind of compo monster, I'm not and haven't claimed compensation for anything before. Yes I got home, but it wasn't a pleasant experience being stuck in an airport with no access to food or drink other than a vending machine and not being able to leave a confined area with hundreds of people as the aer lingus representatives didn't know what was happening. There were women with screaming new born babies without enough milk, we were not offered any updates and only a couple of 5 euro vouchers which couldn't be spend anywhere other than on the plane. The whole situation was badly handled and I wouldn't wish anyone else to have to experience. This is quite different from an hour delay, to get on 2 broken down airplanes and then being delivered to a different airport 2 hours from home 5 hours later is unacceptable. I really don't believe the people in this thread attacking me for wanting to claim compensation that the law says I am enabled to claim would simply brush it off and say it was unfortunate.

Perhaps these same people are the reason why customer service is so poor in this country? We sit back and don't want to make a fuss. Airlines should be held accountable if they don't provide the service offered.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
And getting back to the original point instead of bickering...

OP, you are not entitled to the compensation as outlined in the stated regulation. They are an Irish company and are therefore not required to fulfil case judgements from the UK courts over this matter. As they stated, if the UK cases were taken to the European Courts, and the case was passed there, then yes they would have to compensate you. However in these circumstances, unfortunately you are not due any monetary recompense.

*Edit*

This doesn't mean you cannot complain regarding the treatment of yourself and the airline's handling of the whole situation and their duty under 261 to provide you with clear information and refreshments due to the length of the delay. This also doesn't entitle you to compensation as there is no clause in the regulation stating that this is cause for compensation, simply something that should be provided. If you really want something out of this, try the complaints route and aim for free /discounted travel for your next trip or two.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You've said you fly to Ireland quite frequently?

Surely the logical thing would be to request a couple of free flights?

I'd rather travel out of City airport on the CityJet service, it's far more efficient in many ways as it's full of other business traveller so it's far more relaxed. Costs more but it's all expensed :)

Soldato
You literally don't know what you're talking about.

EU airlines must, by EU law, compensate for delayed flights within certain parameters. It has nothing to do with buying cheap, it has nothing to do with ambulance chasers, it has nothing to do with being pathetic.

It's the law!

Yeah, but this falls outside those parameters (extraordinary circumstances).

The law also says that a pregnant woman can wee in a policemans helmet if she cant make it to a loo. You can also shoot a welshman in the eye with an arrow from the walls around chester.

It's the heart not the eye, and only if they are inside the walls after dark (it's also worth noting this law clashes with the much more important one on not killing people and so it would be overruled in court if anyone tried it today, hence why nobody ever bothered to repeal it).

Last edited:
Soldato
My friend got compensation from Aer Lingus last month. His London to Belfast flight was overbooked so they flew him to Dublin on a later flight, paid for his taxi up to Belfast AND gave him compensation.

Back
Top Bottom