Moral conundrum please help

Soldato
OK, I need help. The answer should be easy but it doesn't feel like it is.....

I ordered an "expensive" item off eBay about 3 weeks ago, the seller didn't ship it for a week. I sent lots of emails asking for updates and when it would be sent, seller was extremely slow to respond and had no intention of giving me straight answers.

I gave a deadline which passed and I raised an ebay case, the seller settled it immediately and they were now advertising the item at a higher price. I got my refund.

Next day I bought said high value item locally

2 weeks on, high value item has arrived from the seller on ebay.

What to do??
The few remaining strands of "decent" DNA in me thinks I should email the seller (bet they respond instantly)
The devilment, selfish and single-minded this is what society is today part of me thinks I should keep quiet and keep said item safe and unopened for a month and then carry on and use/sell said item.

Opinions please?

Soldato
OP
If I felt messed around by the seller I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to do them any favours.

Thats my view. They really cocked me around with this and I kind of feel they deserve to take a hit for their poor poor service.

Surely though there is some form of legality that will have me by the short and curly's?

Associate
Contact the seller and send the item back. Maybe ask the seller to pay postage. Simple really I would say.

If they don't contact you then don't worry as you tried.

Underboss
The nice part of me says email the seller,

The naughty part of me says email the seller asking how much are they willing to offer to get it back

The other bit of me says keep it and sell it on.

Soldato
I think you should contact the seller and inform him/her and say when they can come and get it or have them arrange collection. It is however tempting to say take back locally bought one and keep seller's item...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Same kind of thing happened to me with a Pipo tablet, original was faulty and they sent two replacements by mistake - I told the seller they could arrange thier own courier at thier own cost to pick the extra one up at a time that wasconvenient to me.

Seller never did arrange a courier so I kept the item (actually sold it a month later so effectively got a free £200 tablet), but I wasn't dishonest about it.

Caporegime
I'd tell them about it, but collection would be at your convenience.

In the last year, I've had a Gigabyte Z87 board (150 quid) sent to my house wrongly from a competitor, and a few months ago I had 256GB SSD (80 quid) come from OCUK by mistake.

Both times I contacted them to ensure it got back to them.

Soldato
How long is acceptable to wait though?

However long it takes for them to contact you? My view is that I wouldn't be helping them out anyway, so let them realise what they've done themselves.

Then when/if they do contact you, let them know it's down to them to sort it out at your convenience.

Soldato
OP
I think you should contact the seller and inform him/her and say when they can come and get it or have them arrange collection. It is however tempting to say take back locally bought one and keep seller's item...

That wouldn't be an option, the locally bought item was sold as seen from a person selling privately (all be it brand new).

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Tell the seller and let them collect it. Just because the seller is a berk doesn't mean you should be too. Be the better man. :)

Soldato
I gave a deadline which passed and I raised an ebay case, the seller settled it immediately and they were now advertising the item at a higher price. I got my refund.

2 weeks on, high value item has arrived from the seller on ebay.

Am I missing something ? :confused: You got a refund and the deal between you and seller was over at that point. Yet the seller still sent you the item 2 weeks later ? :confused: Why would he do that ?

Soldato
If you have been refunded from Ebay, it is theft.

Whether your experience was not the best with the seller is irrelevant, in my opinion.

Just to get it straight, it's theft if the seller requests its return and he refuses.

Otherwise, it's unsolicited good until that point.

Associate
It's not really a conundrum, is it?

You want to steal something from somebody because you don't like them.

If you're cool with that, I'm not judging.

Soldato
OP
I need one more part of crucial information before I can form a reasoned response....
WAHT IS SAID EXPENSIVE ITEM FFS?!??! I GOTS TO KNOW!!

I'm keeping this quiet as it "shouldn't" matter but I'd probably also get mocked for buying it.

Am I missing something ? :confused: You got a refund and the deal between you and seller was over at that point. Yet the seller still sent you the item 2 weeks later ? :confused: Why would he do that ?

The seller catches me as being of a fairly big size, the item in question they have sold thousands of so probably paperwork has wrapped itself around them.

It's not really a conundrum, is it?
You want to steal something from somebody because you don't like them.
If you're cool with that, I'm not judging.

I've not stolen anything. At this point I have received mail for an order that was cancelled weeks ago. The conundrum is am I stealing it or not?

Back
Top Bottom