Moral conundrum please help

Soldato
Unsolicited goods usually accompany an invoice requesting payment, I think the fact that you ordered the item originally probably shows some intent even if this order has been cancelled. I would think it falls in to a vendor error rather than unsolicited goods (which I believe you are allowed to keep under certain conditions). Either way I think that you should drop them a polite email informing them of their error and asking them to organise collection at your convenience.

They don't usually accompany an invoice, the law was changed to stop this practice, so that any goods that you receive but haven't bought will be classed as unsolicited so that someone can't then issue you an invoice for the item.

Associate
It may not be technically theft, I don’t know, but it is dishonest.

The only reason you asked in here is to justify to yourself that the decision you have already made is “OK” by some people, giving you cause to sell the item.

It’s quite funny that the overwhelming majority of people said it was wrong and yet you are still going to sell. Speaks volumes to your moral compass.

Soldato
They don't usually accompany an invoice, the law was changed to stop this practice, so that any goods that you receive but haven't bought will be classed as unsolicited so that someone can't then issue you an invoice for the item.

Yes the law changed to prevent it but the practice still happens, not everything that you receive through the mail that you didn't order is deemed as unsolicited though. It only becomes unsolicited if certain criteria is met, one of which is demand of payment. If no attempt to bill is made then they are simply gifts. However I don't think this is either, its vendor error which because of the prior intent (previous order) would not be considered unsolicited.

Soldato
Sorry to take this off topic but:

Legally - if a person sells on unsolicited goods, does the legal definition change and are they causing the buyer to commit an offence?

If they are unsolicited then the consumer has the right to dispose of them as they see fit, the supplier has no rights whatsoever.

Soldato

Except he bought this item, it just took longer than expected to arrive.

It is in no way unsolicited goods.

OP should inform the seller that the item has now arrived and give him reasonable opportunity to have it collected.

Soldato
OP
It may not be technically theft, I don’t know, but it is dishonest.
The only reason you asked in here is to justify to yourself that the decision you have already made is “OK” by some people, giving you cause to sell the item.
It’s quite funny that the overwhelming majority of people said it was wrong and yet you are still going to sell. Speaks volumes to your moral compass.

I asked on here as I know most people on here are fairly clued up. I wasn't about to go sending stuff back if there was an overwhelming "why would you do that?" response. So please don't tell me my only reason for asking as you are incredibly wrong.

I have not commented and said I will sell the item. To be honest I have purposely tried to be vague throughout and the joke about selling the pre-teen anime is a joke, unless you want to buy it as you seem like the kind of person who needs some "company"?

Never mind my moral compass, I think you need to try thinking before you speak, so far you are the only person who has jumped the gun with their response, did you even bother reading the whole thread? I fully appreciate this is a delicate situation where I am questioning other peoples opinions to try and form my own morally correct opinion of what to do.

As per my previous post. I know how I will handle this now, high ground will be mine. Although the seller won't get an easy ride.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Considering it was only a week they didn't ship your original order for i'd just contact them and send it back.

If they had taken ages then i'd have probably contacted them then wait however long they'd made me wait before sending it but in this case a week hardly seems like anything to get upset about.

Associate
i work for a pretty large reputable company that sells products and come across situations like this.

to base on keeping the item purely on the fact you've been "messed" about does not give you full rights to keep the product.

It is based on morals at the end of the day but when i get customers calling reporting the mistake they get discounts on new orders etc as a gesture of thanks and a collection.

even though they are personally not my goods the fact someone had let us know it in itself is a huge merit.

personally i wouldn't keep it because there is no justification to keep that item i had not paid for it and it isn't mine. and purely basing on keeping it due to a bad service to me is not a valid justification.

Caporegime
Advise them you have received the item and it is available for collection at their expense within the next 14 days. After that start charging them storage and safekeeping!

Soldato
Just contact the seller and ask them to arrange collection. Otherwise you'll just worry about whether it'll come back to bite you in the anus. It'll be a sword of Damacles above your head for months.

Soldato
Why is no one linking to the appropriate guidelines?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...eived_goods_or_services_you_didnt_ask_for.htm

You should contact the seller and allow them to collect said goods. You are under no obligation to return them out of your own pocket.

Also note the bit at the bottom that outlines what you should do if they attempt to charge you for it - should they not want to bother arranging collection...

"If you receive a demand for payment for unsolicited goods or services, you can ignore it. If the trader does this, they may have committed a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. You should report the matter to your trading standards department through Citizens Advice."

P.S. What the hell is it?? :)

Back
Top Bottom