Do you like your job?

Mine is awful.

Night after night dealing with drunken fools with a chip on their shoulder acting like spoilt brats.

I always thought binge drinking Britain was exaggerated till I worked on the receiving end.

I would do anything to work elsewhere but no luck in finding something else at the moment.

The topic of our jobs is sometimes interesting, and other times, not very nice at all.

I'd say I enjoy the process, and sometimes gathering overlooked or hidden information is good fun.

But, we're £10k underpaid, and some colleagues either aren't pulling their weight, or are out causing trouble and stirring/twisting gossip which makes things unpleasant for the rest of us.

Usually go through periods of loving work, and periods of hating it, so it is very fluid.

I don't agree. I started to do 4 days a week at work from this April and look after the little one (20 months old) 1 day a week.

I'd prefer to do 5 days at work to be honest. Having to constantly supervise the little one so she doesn't kill herself or break something in the house doesn't allow you to just sit there and watch TV. They also like interaction i.e. read to them, dress their dolly etc, which doesn't lend itself to being able to follow what's on TV. Then you've got to prepare their meals, clean up the mess they leave as well as do their nappies etc.

I'm sure when kids require less supervision and are more independent (3 years+?) you can just let them play with some Lego or something without fear of them choking to death.

It sounds like you want to sit on your arse for that one day a week to be honest. ;) Of course children want attention and need to be supervised, but it's not difficult. Try having two! You just need to get our of the mindset that you're expecting a 'day off' if you look after your children.

I probably work harder on a working day, Up at 7, get the kids ready, drop them off to nursery, get to work an hour after I've left, pick them up on the way home from work and get their dinner ready. The days I have at home, going to the park or whatever are much easier.

Yes, I do. I get to create something that people enjoy and hopefully learn something from too. It's incredibly satisfying. The hours could be shorter but you can't have everything.

My job is ok. Overall I would say I like it. I work 3 or 4 nights a week, and one or two day-shifts when I am in charge. Pay is poor but I don't really care, it is enough for me anyway.

The main things about my job atm are firstly, that it gives me plenty of time to do other things I enjoy, as night work suits me pretty well, and secondly that I am incredibly good at it. It is only a stepping stone to other things in the same field though really....I would be lying if I didn't say that honestly I am stuck in a rut tbh.

used to - it's not a bad job, just unappreciated and too much BS for me. It's just the attitude as the enjoyment factor has left everyone and been replaced with 'it's the process' even though the process goes against everything we've been trained to do so frustration s very high!
I've never been without a job since I was 12 so I won't quit - hoping for voluntary redundancy as I'd take it in a heartbeat and this would force me to reconsider other options. I'd wait tables or work in a bar just to get money in whilst I retrained in something else. Considering moving to Australia so need to get a trade other than office worker on my CV.

It sounds like you want to sit on your arse for that one day a week to be honest. ;) Of course children want attention and need to be supervised, but it's not difficult. Try having two! You just need to get our of the mindset that you're expecting a 'day off' if you look after your children.

I probably work harder on a working day, Up at 7, get the kids ready, drop them off to nursery, get to work an hour after I've left, pick them up on the way home from work and get their dinner ready. The days I have at home, going to the park or whatever are much easier.

I've been doing it the last 4 months so I know what to expect. It's easy if you take them out like you say (which is what I always do weather permitting). Keeping them indoors is not difficult like you say it's just extremely tedious. You can't really just sit there and watch Heir Hunters > Homes Under The Hammer > Bargain Hunt > Perfection > Escape To The Country that easily. :p

Luckily my other half does the dropping off/picking up and the little one has breakfast at nursery so it's just a nappy change and clothes. I bike to work in under ten minutes. ;)

I've come to regard the people I work with as 'people I've met' (10 points for knowing the reference)

They are mostly two faced back stabbing misogynistic vain self important idiots with little to no respect for other people I've met.

The project, prospects, responsibility and interesting and variable work is brilliant and I can't spend the cash fast enough.

I feel like I've sold my soul.

I'm currently 'working' at the moment. :p

Same (but not today). I went from a job on 15k where I was busy all the time.

I left that position and was re-hired by the same organisation on 27k. In my new role I mostly have nothing to do, at all.

It's quite amazing - but I've discovered how awful it is to have nothing to do for 8 hours straight. I sure as heck wouldn't go back to the 15k job (they were taking the mick, paying other 25k+ for the same work, claiming they had no money to give me a rise).

Today I'm looking at job vacancies as it's pretty soul destroying having nothing to do all day.

used to - it's not a bad job, just unappreciated and too much BS for me. It's just the attitude as the enjoyment factor has left everyone and been replaced with 'it's the process' even though the process goes against everything we've been trained to do so frustration s very high!
I've never been without a job since I was 12 so I won't quit - hoping for voluntary redundancy as I'd take it in a heartbeat and this would force me to reconsider other options. I'd wait tables or work in a bar just to get money in whilst I retrained in something else. Considering moving to Australia so need to get a trade other than office worker on my CV.

Similar to above, I work in a large multinational company. We are going through a lot of 'IT Business Transformation' projects. Imagine rolling out changes with bugs in critical parts of your functions. The sensible option would be not to roll out the changes until the bugs have been resolved - right? Well thats not how our company operates. Instead we come up with "workarounds" to implement the changes to make FTE savings.

Ideally I would like to travel, and work for myself. This would most likely mean setting up my own business. I have a few ideas, but my days are already filled with a 9-5 job, my running training, and catching up with friends. Something will have to give for me to change things. I would accept redundancy as well.

I used to like my job until we were taken over, now I hate it. I want to move back to Bristol but it's still very quiet on the jobs front (the type i'm after anyway).

Nope i don't like it,

Repetitive..crap working hours that really do knock my body around..constantly feeling like crap and underpaid.

Don't get me wrong,im grateful to even have a job but meh.

There isn't enough opportunities to move on to better paid jobs in this country,Lack of on the job training,Jobs that require far too many qualifications yet you know you can do the job without the piece of paper saying "your smart"..just stupid.

Back
Top Bottom